Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

HAVE: Christmas Trivia - Surprise Seeds for the Winner!

hmacdona1
15 years ago

So it's minus 30ish and I'm stuck inside - in a silly mood. I'm in the mood to give away some seeds, but you gotta work for it.!

To the first person that answers all of these Christmas Trivia questions correctly, I will send a surprise envelope with 25 seeds packets inside.

--------------

1) In the song "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer" what did Grandma go to get?

2) What was the first gift my true love sent on the sixth day of Christmas?

3) After Scrooge has reformed his life at the end of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", he proposes getting together with Bob Cratchit for some "smoking bishop", which was:

a) A fast variation of chess popular in Victorian London

b) A premium pipe tobacco

c) A hot spiced drink

d) A Christmas pudding, soaked in brandy and set alight

4) In the Ukraine, if you find a spider web in the house on Christmas morning it is believed to mean:

a) Good luck

b) Misfortune will strike in the coming year

c) The winter will be unusually cold

d) Your house needs cleaning!

5) A modern Christmas custom borrowed from ancient Rome's New Year's celebrations is:

a) Putting up mistletoe to make a "kissing bough"

b) Decorating a tree

c) Displaying a wreath on the front door of one's house

d) Hanging stockings by the fireplace

6) Name the reindeer whose name begins with a "B"?

-------------

Please post your answers here. The first person to correctly answer all 6 will get the surprise pack. You might want to get your wish lists updated on gardenweb....It might help influence what ends up in the surprise pack (nudge nudge wink wink).

Good luck everyone....

Thanks.....Heather

Comments (4)

• ladyk2008
    15 years ago

1) In the song "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer" what did Grandma go to get?

Answer: Her medication from home

2) What was the first gift my true love sent on the sixth day of Christmas?

Answer: Six geese a-laying

3) After Scrooge has reformed his life at the end of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", he proposes getting together with Bob Cratchit for some "smoking bishop", which was:

a) A fast variation of chess popular in Victorian London
    b) A premium pipe tobacco
    c) A hot spiced drink
    d) A Christmas pudding, soaked in brandy and set alight

Answer: C

4) In the Ukraine, if you find a spider web in the house on Christmas morning it is believed to mean:

a) Good luck
    b) Misfortune will strike in the coming year
    c) The winter will be unusually cold
    d) Your house needs cleaning!

Answer: a

5) A modern Christmas custom borrowed from ancient Rome's New Year's celebrations is:

a) Putting up mistletoe to make a "kissing bough"
    b) Decorating a tree
    c) Displaying a wreath on the front door of one's house
    d) Hanging stockings by the fireplace

Answer: C

6) Name the reindeer whose name begins with a "B"?

Answer: Blitzen

Yeahhhhh, Heather! I hope I got them all right... That was totally fun. I am off to update my list in hopeful anticipation :-) Three Cheers for Christmas Trivia ! I love it!

Kristie

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congratulations Kristie!!!!!
    You got them all right.

Here's a little background to expand on a couple of the answers (for those that may be curious)...

Question 3) hot spiced drink

Mulled wines were popular festive drinks in 19th- century London. They were undoubtedly much safer to drink than the untreated water. To make Smoking Bishop, take 6 bitter oranges and stick them with 6 cloves each. Put them in a bowl, cover with (cheap) red wine, and set in a warm place for a day. Squeeze the oranges into the wine and strain. Add port. Heat, and serve with a cinnamon stick.

Question #4 - In the Ukraine, if you find a spider web in the house on Christmas morning it is believed to mean:
    A) Good luck

One Christmas morning, a poor woman, who could not afford decorations, found that spiders had trimmed her children's tree with their webs. When the morning sun shone on them, the webs turned to silver. An artificial spider and web are often included in the decorations on Ukrainian Christmas trees.

Question #5 - modern Christmas custom borrowed from ancient Rome's New Year's celebrations is:
    C) Displaying a wreath on the front door of one's house

Romans wished each other "good health" by exchanging branches of evergreens. They called these gifts "strenae" after Strenia, the goddess of health. It became the custom to bend these into a ring and display them on doorways.

Kristie, I'll be packing up your surprise pack within the next couple of days. Are you still at the same address since we last traded?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas everyone!

.....Heather

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

congratulations, Kristie!
    gg

• ladyk2008
    15 years ago

Hey gals! I received the Christmas Trivia Surprise Seeds from Heather this week. They were awesome awesome awesome! Thanks for the variety and answering my wants Heather. You always seem to do the coolest stuff... Looking forward to another fabulous year on Garden Web with everyone. I hope you had a great Christmas, Heather and I am wishing you the best coming year.

Your friend in the Green,

Kristie

Sponsored
More Discussions