Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtripper

WANTED: perennial Round Robin

madtripper
14 years ago

Anyone interested in a perennial round robin? I'll run it if there is enough interest.

I'd like to stick to perennials or woodies.

Comments (39)

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Yup..perennials are the way to go. I'm in!

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Can you refresh my memory on how a round-robin works?

• Shanta_5
    14 years ago

I would to be in the perennials trade

• wildflwer_2
    14 years ago

I am interested, please let me know the details

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

I am also interested in this. Do we have to wait until spring? Sorry I am a newbie to the site. This site is the best thing I have found out there and I have lots of time to look so keep posting and I will keep on reading. thanks

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have a few interested people. Let's go ahead and I'm sure more will join in.

Here are the rules.

1) Package up your seeds. Each package should have at least 20 seeds, unless it is a rare plant. I will not repackage seeds. Each seed package you send will be considered one package of seed.
    2) This Seed Exchange is for perennial seeds. Please do not send annuals or biannuals.
    3) Write the name of the seed on each package. Include your name on each package so the receiver knows where the seeds came from. This also helps me with the sorting.
    4) Add enough stamps inside the package so that it can be sent back to you. I will use your envelope and your stamps for the return mailing.
    5) Add a mailing label containing your address inside the package. This saves me writing out your address and ensures it will be sent to the right location.
    6) Mail the seeds to:
    Robert Pavlis
    8 megan place
    Guelph Ontario, N1L 1H1

7) Mail the package so that it arrives by January 15.
    8) This is open to anyone in Canada, but not outside Canada.
    9) Limit the number of packages of the same type of seed to 3 packs.

I will wait to receive all of the seeds. Then I will sort through them and send some back to you. You will receive at least as many packages as you sent out. Every attempt will be made to provide you with as much variety as I can. If there are any special genus you are interested in, let me know and I will see what I can do for you.
    I plan to mail them back to you right after January 15. That should still give you time to do some cold treatment if required.
    Management is not responsible for lost envelopes!!

• ontnative
    14 years ago

madtripper, is there some suggested number (max/min) number of seed pkg that one should send? I presume both garden collected seed and commercial seed are equally acceptable.

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

sorry I only have plants(house) no seeds so I cant join in but have fun everyone. Merry Christmas.

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Oh Fiddle! Now I have to start cleaning seeds!

• eternity2669
    14 years ago

Hi Robert / Mad Tripper: First off I would like to say a big thank-you for organizing this round robin exchange. I definately would like to participate. I noticed Houseplantlover wanted to join too, but being a newbie - she currently doesn't have perennial seeds to share. If it is ok with you, I would like to send extra seeds on her behalf - she would be mailing an empty bubble mailer, postage and a return address label. I would separate her packages from mine if you would be willing to make a package for her. Please let me know and I will get working on the packages over the holidays.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Melanie / Eternity2669

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Melanie, sent u an email, thanks again

• karatemama
    14 years ago

I'd like to join. I am newer and don't have a lot of variety, but I will send what I have.

• pivoine3b
    14 years ago

Hi Robert,

Thanks for organizing all this. Count me in, the seeds are on your way! Yes, and my best wishes for this coming new year.

Flore

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aswers to questions:

1) maximum # of packages - there is no maximum, but if you send a lot of seeds, and we get only a few people participating, it will be difficult to send you a lot back.

2)Melanie - no problem with spliting seeds

• wlongon5b
    14 years ago

Robert,
    Thanks for organizing. Count me in.
    Wendy

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

count me in
    Nes from London Ontario

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Robert, sent you my seeds. I am not too concerned about the number of seeds I get in return. My garden is so full, I don't have room for many more plants. I am participating in the exchange mostly for the fun of it, (and because I have never done this before.)

Happy New Year to everyone!

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

robert, sending out envelope this week for u, thank you and to melanie too, u guys are wonderful

• eternity2669
    14 years ago

Hi Robert - sending my packages in the mail Monday morning - should be to you in no time!

You are more than welcome Houseplantlover! Super glad you want to participate!

Thanks,

Melanie / Eternity2669

• Shanta_5
    14 years ago

Hi Robert,
    I sent you my package of seeds. Please let me know you when receive them. Thank you take care.

Shanta

• wlongon5b
    14 years ago

Hi Robert,
    My package is ready to go and will be mailed tomorrow morning.
    Thanks,

Wendy

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

Hi Robert mine is in the mail today

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have packages from:

Nicole, Jonquiere Qc
    Wendy, oakville\
    Shanta, Burlinton
    Judy, Guelph

• karatemama
    14 years ago

The seeds are in the mail...and I can't wait!

• wayner2000
    14 years ago

Hi Robert, sorry I missed this Round Robin however I was wondering if there will be another?

Wayner

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

thanks to robert and Melanie

Robert, sending out envelope today
    Melanie, sent u a email

thanks, stacey
    Cant wait to winter sow

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have added two more to the list of packages received:

M. Mann, Sarnia
    Wendy Cambridge

Wayner - there is always next year.

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

question for houseplantlover - Are you Stacey from Tweed?? I got your evelope.

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

yes I am, thanks, sorry I am such a newbie

• karatemama
    14 years ago

Hi madtripper! I haven't seen you post that you have received my envelope. Has it arrived? I hope it made it on time!

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Packages are in the mail. There were a few very common seeds sent in by sevral people, like pink hollyhocks. You might get someone elses back.

I added a few extra goodies for you.

For seeding information try this web site:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jehan/Information/orgsseedx.htm

It will tell you exactly how to plant your seeds. In case the link does not work, search for " ontario rock garden society germination guide ". By the way this is a great society if you really like perennials. It has now expanded to include all hardy perennials.

They have a giant plant sale May 2.

karatemama - if I did not list your name then I probably did not get the seeds. I might have missed listing a name. If it comes in late, I can still trade some of the seeds with my extras.

This was great fun. Let's do it again next fall. A bit earlier next year.

• wlongon5b
    14 years ago

Just received my envelope. Boy that was fast!!! Thank you Robert for organizing this and thanks to all who participated. I received a wonderful selection of seed! Now to go winter sow some of them :)
    Wendy

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Thanks, Robert. I recieved my seed package this morning. As you mentioned, if you do it next year, start it a little bit earlier. Have the deadline of Jan 1st (?) for seeds to be received by you. The word will get out to more people, so there is the possibility of a greater selection of seeds.

• Shanta_5
    14 years ago

Thank you Robert,

Just received my envelope today. Thank you Robert for doing it alot of work to get all the package ready.
    Thank you.

Shanta

• eternity2669
    14 years ago

Got my package in the mail today!! Thanks so much for going to all the effort! It arrived amazingly fast - nice surprise for the weekend - thanks again.

Melanie

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

Got my seeds in the mail today, some I have never heard of. Will investigate more tomorrow.
    Thanks everyone

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Got my seeds on Friday and what a surprise. First off it was my Birthday and it was the only gift :I got and i couldnt have asked for a better gift. Thank you to everyone.
    Stacey

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Received mine today..planted them all! Thanks madtripper!

• pivoine3b
    14 years ago

Seeds were in the mailbox today, thanks madtripper for sorting all this and for the ORGSx site. I'm very happy with the seeds and this Round Robin experience. Thank you all.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions