Posted by britelights oak..b c (lynne@cablelan.net) on
Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 19:41

Looking for differnt hoya plant seeds.
contact
lynne@cablelan.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Hoya`s

I have two that are 32 years old and they have NEVER gone to seed. But I can start you a slip and send it in the spring, if you like.
Anne

o

I also have a Hoya vine from a plant grown in the 60's or earlier...(grandmothers). It flowers three times a year but I can't find identifiable seed in the dropped flowers. I also have an internet photo of a 'Hoya carnosa' flower that looks exactly like my unidentified plant. So this is what I'm calling it until someone knowledgeable identifies it for me!
You are welcome to a cutting by SASE.
Sharon

o

Hoyas are Asclepiads so they develop a seed pod similar to our Asclepias species commonly called milkweeds. Hoyas seeds are short lived so the main way of multiplying plants is by vegetative cuttings.

o

So Mike, I can now say that my Hoya has never set seed either. I have never seed a pod form!
Thanks for the advice re Asclepias family.
Sharon

o

Hi Sharon

Hoyas set seed only rarely and then only if you have your plant outside and the proper pollinator comes along. I have heard of a few people in the American southern states and Hawaii who have had seed pods develop on their plants but it is a rare event. Good thing Hoyas are so easy to trade as cuttings.

Mike

o

ok as a newbie,,question can you send cuttings thru the mail..will they live??

o

Brightlights

Cuttings do fine in the mail but some are sturdier than others. Many people put cuttings in a plastic bag to prevent dessication.

Mike

o

I had a Hoya set seed, the fragrance was overpowering so as it was in the summer I hung it outside. One day I noticed a long, very skinny seed pod developing. I left it on just to see how it would develop, eventually it split open and the best way I can describe the seeds is they looked like dandelion seed. The Hoya was bought as minima but I now think it must have been serpens. I should have planted the seed but I didn't. I received a few unrooted Hoya cuttings from Australia last spring, they arrived in excellent shape so mailing cuttings here in Canada shouldn't be a problem.

o

If anyone in Canada has any smaller hoyas and is interested in trading with me I have several small established (10 vines each) plants of Hoya lacanosa available. I would love a Hoya picta if anyone has cuttings to trade or let me know what else you have.

Thanks

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here