Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

WANTED: Blackberry Lily seeds and Persicaria...

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

and Persicaria Virginiana 'Painter's Palette'. Looking for both of these. Please check out my exchange page and see if we can make a trade. Will send SASE if you have them but are not interested in trading.

Thanks! :O)

Comments (6)

• smurf428
    15 years ago

I have blackberry lily seeds sent you an email..
    jen

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

I have blackberry lily and from your wish list, I also have Scotch Thistle and Digitalis Grandiflora. I'd be interested in trading for your zinnia profusion cherry.

Let me know if you'd like to trade. I can send you the three seeds for the zinnia.

Thanks....Heather

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Tiffy,

Are you sure you want persicaria ? I was given some and told it was a bamboo. I dont know if the varigated is as invasive as the plain green one but I know I am VERY SORRY I ever planted the persicaria I planted here . I have tried for 2 seasons now to dig it out of where I planted it but the problem is , just a tiny piece left behind and you are back to square one . You cant kill this plant and it spreads even thru the really severe clay we have here. Just thought I would bring this up . If you still are interested ....I would recommend planting it where you dont mind if it spreads . Japanese Knotweed is just that , a weed

Signet

• cziga
    15 years ago

I think that the ordinary persicaria is quite the invasive plant . . . but the newer hybrids that they have come out with are sterile and non-stoloniferous, so they can't propagate by either seeds or by runners/roots. Non-invasive.

If you start to see your hybrid reverting back to the original though, then it is time to dig it out :)

That was my impression anyways. I bought Persicaria "Red Dragon" with this is mind, and it seems to stay well behaved. It is supposed to be one of the sterile hybrids.

• cziga
    15 years ago

Of course, now that I think about it, that means you can't trade for the seeds, as the seeds will either be sterile and not sprout, or may sprout the original plant even if they were collected from the hybrid.

The way to propagate these newer hybrids is by cuttings.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Signet,

If you have the Japanese Knotweed Fallopia Japonica), you may want to try the following method to eradicate it. This method is being used by the Dept. of Natural Resources in Cape Breton in the Highland Park where the JP has taken over expanses of Acadian forests.

Let it grow during the season. As fall approaches, purchases some Round-Up. Of course, as the season goes, don't let it flower/seed. When the weather starts to chill in the evenings, cut the stems back and dispose in the garbage. Take the Round-Up (or similar stuff) and pour it into the hollow of the stem.

Apparently when this plant feels the chill of late summer starting, the roots become quite active and the best way to get at them and kill them is through the hollow stem.

"At the end of Japanese knotweed's growing season, nutrients are transferred from the leaves down through the canes and on down to the rhizomes. This transfer, which continues until the first killing frost, presents you with an opportunity to hit Japanese knotweed where it really hurts! Glyphosate injected during this time will "go along for the ride," following the same path down to the rhizomes as the nutrients. And it is the rhizomes which must ultimately be destroyed, if you are to be successful at Japanese knotweed removal."

We have noticed 2 stands of JK starting on our road and we will be using this method next year to see if we can get rid of it. About 3 miles up the road it is quite pervasive, but this year was the first year we saw it this close and some of us have nice gardens which we would like to preserve from this monster.

The Persicaria that I am looking for is not considered as invasive and you can be assured that a good eye will be kept on it should I manage to obtain the seeds.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions