Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mari11_gw

WANTED: Trees and shrubs seeds for botanical garden

Mari11
15 years ago

I was contacted recently by my old friend, biologist from Russia with request to help them to get some seeds of native canadian species of trees and shrubs. I don't have access to trees to collect seeds and it's too late now, so I decided to post this request here hoping someone may have extra seeds.

A few details about the project: my friend works at the botanical garden in Kazan city in Russia. The garden is a few years old, has almost zero financing from government and has been for all these years in survival state. People who work there get salary of $70 a month which is very low , but they all are enthusiasts ( others would never work for that salary!) dreaming to grow large botanical park with trees from all over the world. But the only available to them resource -donations.

I am going to help them as much as I can, yet don't really know where to get seeds.They asked for both coniferous and deciduous trees and shrubs. I will appreciate any suggestions and/or seeds! Will SASE.

Please note: my email has changed , but I wasn't able to correct it on this site. If you want to email me, there is my new one: marina12(@)rogers.com.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all gardeners!

Marina.

Comments (5)

• origami_master
    15 years ago

The first thing that cane to mind was that Russia is farther north than southern Ontario. Some of the deciduous trees might not survive up there unless they're in greenhouses.

• Mari11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

origami_master, you're right, but Ontario's climate is rather exceptional and most canadian places have the same climate as Russia. Also Kazan city is located in central Russia, much milder than Siberia or north regions.

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Mari11,

Ok , well my first question is this: What phyto requirements are there for sending some, any , all kinds of seeds to Russia? What is the cost and are you paying for that or are you just mailing the seeds out without checking into the phyto requirements ?

If you are interested in requirements follow this link : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/expe.shtml

What is a Phytosanitary Certificate?

A Phytosanitary Certificate is a document often required by many states and foreign countries for the import of non processed, plant products. The word Phytosanitary is derived from two Greek wordsÂPhyto meaning plant and sanitary, meaning clean. Export commodities (depending on the country or state) must meet certain standards or criteria outlined by the importing country or state. These plant health requirements pertain to storage pests, plant diseases, chemical treatments and weeds.

I for one dont want to be party to the possible sending of disease , foreign insects in the egg stage or any other possible infection to a different country that could be harboured on seeds collected from gardens or forests here etc. Most countries these days restrict certain seeds/plants for specific infector factors and do so for good reason .Even if a phyto is not required for certain plant seeds..it certainly is a cause for concern. The possibility that sending seeds from say for example some kind of conifer that could be harbouring a pest that could wipe out stands of similar trees in Russia is not something I would want to be responsible for.

Just look at what we are facing here in Canada with Dutch Elm disease, Emerald Ash borer etc.

Something to think about !!!!!!!!

Signet

• wildflwer_2
    15 years ago

Signet that is so true, I just came back from Australia, and they are soooo strict about any type of seeds, plants and anything that comes from other country that could bring pests and decease. They check you not for drugs, but for plants and seeds. We used to have eatable chestnuts in Southern Ontario, but no more, because they all died, from a decease from plants that were brought from other countries.

• Mari11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

signet and wildflower, thank you for this warning! I haven't thought about this danger, bcz I don't remember any restrictions on sending seeds to Russia, but I am not 100% sure.

Sponsored
More Discussions