Return to the Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Neighborhood trading networks?

Posted by scottinbroadmoor California (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 20:53

Hey all, does anyone have any experience with organizing a community garden swap that is an active network of neighbors who trade fruit and produce? A neighbor and I are thinking of organizing a network where we trade our locally grown fruit and vegetables with other neighbors, and are just looking for some advice or perhaps a model to follow from others who have done so. I hosted a jam swap party last summer where a dozen people got together and traded our home canned jam, that turned out great, but we're thinking of expanding it to include summer produce on a weekly basis. I'm thinking of using a barter system where members are given credits, based on the amount of produce they contribute to the pool, and those credits are then used to "buy" produce from the pool. Any thoughts or suggestions?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Neighborhood trading networks?

That sounds like a great idea. I am working on setting up a plant exchange for late April with several other gardeners that I know and have shared plants for. But plan to post some posters and open it up to others and plan on donating extras to the schools gardens.

I love the idea of trading or sharing any extras, my neighbor and I will trade back and forth produce all summer long. But we had talks with other gardeners who would say, I wish that I would have known that you needed x,y,or z because I have had so many extras. I live in a small town of 555 so I think I will start out by doing the plant exchange. I have several gardeners that I have talked to about doing this, and plan on posting flyers about the plant exchange. My 4 yr old is in preschool so I am going to have her save milk cartons from the milk they get at snack time for potting up the plants.

Thanks for posting, and giving me more ideas.

Stacie

o
RE: HAVE: Neighborhood trading networks?

I belong to a garden club and at least one meeting a year is dedicated to sharing seeds and plants. Not everyone contributes but it's fun to do and I always go home with some new plants and seeds. I think the Jam trade is a fabulous idea..I wish I lived closer but it is an idea for us here in Nevada.
Good Luck and let me know how you do.. Andrea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here