Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tina924_gw

WANTED: Need Seeds or Bulbs for Our School

tina924
16 years ago

We have planted a 65ft x 8ft flower bed in front of our school. All of our plants are Red, White and Blue. We planted this in recognition of the 400th Anniversary of Jamestown. We have planted a wide variety for the summer and need anything that will be great for Fall, Winter or Sprint. If you have seeds or tulip bulbs please let me know. We will have giant red and white zinnia seeds and also white Texas Moon seeds ready in the fall. I also have black eyed susans and a ton of irises in a variety of colors. Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)

• retsec
    16 years ago

Need you email address.

• greentongue
    16 years ago

I live in upper zone 7 in Northeast Arkansas, and I currently have out of ground bulbs for the following 2 white narcissi...both will naturalize easily.

Narcissi "Mount Hood"... a white trumpet midseason(blooms mid-March)... orginated in 1930's... widely sold yet today. Note that this variety often requires a 2nd year to establish well and bloom. Mixed sizes... total available: 200+

Narcissi bifloris "Two Sisters" ... the latest blooming white, a very old variety that blooms Mid April to about May first; 2 fragrant, flat white blossoms with greenish small eye. This is naturalized here because it came with the first settlers in the 1820's and was passed along. Mixed sizes: total available: over 100...and more easily got

If you live east of Arkansas, it's probably naturalized thru your area, too. However, I recommend including some in all narcissi plantings because they extend the season, blooming with the first iris and last tulips...

I also have a very pretty, tall beared, ca 1940 blue iris that my neighbor weeded out. Color is very close to the well-known cultivar "Victoria Falls" but a less fluffy... thus more rainproof!...blossom form. I suspect it is the ca 1940 Dykes winner "Great Lakes", but since I received it without provenance, I cannot guarantee the identity.
    They are slightly dry but still very much alive. Number available: 2 dozen plus

I can also easily lift for you 2 dozen plus rhizomes of a 19th Century or older iris that I call "Koolaid" cuz it smells very strongly like grape soda pop. It's early, tall, a small lavendar flower on a very healty, aggressivly spreading plant. I have been told that it is the state flower of Tennessee. I recommend that you DO NOT plant it in a flower bed with other iris, as it will crowd them out. However, it's fragrance is fun for kids.

If any are of interest to you, let me know.

• tina924
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Thank you! The white Narcissi would be great!Blue irises too! Please email me and we can make arrangements!
    Tina

• greentongue
    16 years ago

Tina, I need your email address...doesn't seem to be a link on the (My Page) for you. When you reply, let me know how many you want... and I can get you more narcissi bulbs. I could also easily locate an early white narcissi.. Barrett Browing. It's white with a red eye and very showy, and would be 10 days to 2 weeks before Mt. Hood. Comment on that one, too, please. I worked for about 10 years on a proposed tour garden of heirloom flowers and bulbs... before the "reality checks" of losing all my shade trees to a microburst in 2002... plus turning 60... forced me to realize it just wasn't going to be possible with me as my total labor force.

Anyway, contact me... and we'll discuss what I have... there are literally 1000's of plants and seeds on this property that I would gladly share, but some of them can't be found right now in this season of triple digits and drought.

Also let me know WHERE (state and approx general area) you live... that will affect what will grow there and prosper.

Jan

• tina924
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jan,
    There is no rush! We will plan on planting in the fall when it is cooler. I am in Thaxton, Va. (south west part of the state)I don't have a direct email for you, but mine is rkemper-tina@prodigy.net. I will be out of town a few days and will get in touch when I get back! Thanks so much!
    Tina

• greentongue
    16 years ago

Perfect! I filled out the "My Page" form so my contact link is now operating. Sending bulbs right now would mean receiving them dry-roasted like baked potatoes. I'll watch for your reply. Be sure to reference in the subject line that it's Garden Web and what it's about!

Jan