Return to the Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Pots, Pots, Pots

Posted by magimay z8 New Orleans (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 02 at 10:51

I am looking for small pots like the ones you throw away after planting annuals. 2-3" would be great. I need these to transplant cuttings and seedlings, but I cannot seem to find them around here. I can only find fancy pots for way too much money. I have ordered some online, but by the time you pay shipping, you may as well have bought the fancy ones. Anyway, please look at my trade list to see if there is anything you would like in the way of craft items. I also have several years worth of BH&G cross stitch magazines and books which I could also trade if anyone is interested. I do have a few plants to trade - lots of aloe vera, well rooted and flourishing spider plant babies, and lots of wandering jew. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Pots, Pots, Pots

have you tried mellingers? I think it is www.mellingers.com they have all the basics cheap. Not sure what their shipping charges run now, but they used to be very reasomable.

o

How about the resale shops, St. Vincent's works here, or Good Will, that type. May not find any out on shelf now, but don't hesitate to inquire, lots of times they save it for the season appropriate. Ask at Wal Mart, they throw away a lot of stuff, also perhaps Lowes, etc?

o

• Posted by Dtkaty z8b Katy,TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 02 at 22:29

Large styrofoam cups work great for this - just poke holes in the bottom. Plus, you can write ON them.

o

• Posted by vic9 z4 WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 02 at 23:43

Magimay...
Besides the excellent suggestion of the styrofoam cups, you can also roll your own out of a few layers of newspaper and a Campbell soup can...saw this technique on a Garden show.

o

Hey Magimay~~

Check your local nurseries. I visit a nursery here frequently, mostly to look and see what I need to add to my wish list. They don't grow their own stuff. So they don't need the pots. Every so often, they compost some of the plants and they throw out all the pots. This guy stacks them up by the dumpster and I can carry home as many as I want for FREE. He's grateful not to have them filling his dumpster. And I get them in all sizes from the little 2" pots and six packs all the way up to huge tree size. The huge tree size ones make great pots just to dump your potting soil in. And I use an ice scoop to scoop it out as I pot stuff. Get two of the huge heavy duty pots and turn one upside down, and sit the other on top of it to put your soil in. No back breaking bending that way.

Hope this works for you.

Casper

o

Darigold's and Dannon's 6 ounce yougurt cups with holes poked in the bottom are great for small plants! I even had a number of coffee mugs I was going to get rid of until I realized I could put the plant in the yogurt cup & then put that into the mug.

o

I use large styrofoam drinking cups. :0) They are cheap, lightweight and easy. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here