Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

WANTED: pigeonberry berry, scarlet pea, possumhaw,eve's necklace

lakedallasmary
17 years ago

I would like seeds to help nativise my yard.

Now it looks like typical suburbia. I have planted a few wild flower seeds this past fall, but they are not up yet.

I need some taller things like shrubs and trees for the birdies to hang out in, and maybe deposit some free seeds for me.

Here is a partial list of what I would like for my north Texas desert, I mean yard. I hope to create some shade so a bigger variety of things might grow.

the list

pigeon berry ground cover

scarlet pea

possumhaw scrub

eves necklace tree

See my trade list for more of my wants. I have it set up so you can just click on the plant name and see a picture. Latin names are also listed if I could find them.

I might be interested in other things that are native to Texas and the south west. I am not big on watering so they need to be drought tolerant. I hate that term, it is way over used. I would rather the plants rather enjoy lack of water. OK, I am being a bit wishful in that.

I would also like to look into fruit trees that would actually produce fruit here. We are in no man's land. Frost kill many tropical trees, and we don't get enough frost for most of the rest. Maybe persimmon would work. I think paw paw, is more an eastern thing. I have not tasted either fruit. I am not sure if this last request is right for the native forum?

I probably jumped the gun a bit, with posting this. I hope to be harvesting seeds from native flowers I planted last fall. I am not holding my breath. I am a new gardener, and I am not having too much luck. Even southern peas struggled last year.

Mostly I have open pollinated veggie seeds. Later on this year I will post (hopefully) native flowers.

I wish one of you could climb through the Internet and help me get my native wildlife planting set up. I am so dang lost. Scatter seeds here and there and I can't see the whole picture.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry
More Discussions