Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bug_girl

WANTED: 'Zigadenus fremontii' star lily or death camas

bug_girl
19 years ago

I saw an article that these bulbs grow wild in the San Francisco bay area, and I would like to try them. If you email me, I do have things to trade, seeds and some hosta babies.

Comments (4)

• sparsonsusa
    18 years ago

They have Zigadenus fremontii at the Native Here! Nursery in Tilden Park (Berkeley). They are open Saturdays 10 to 1.
    http://www.ebcnps.org/NativeHereHome.htm
    I just bought one and hoping it'll live!
    Scott

• bug_girl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found these photos on line. It turns out there are about 15 different species of Death Camas. These photos below are of the Fremontii. Must be named for Fremont, LOL.

I went to Bernal Hill park to see them, but I could not find plants that looked even close, and the ground was hard as a rock. I knew even if I found them, I could not dig them up without a steam shovel.

I guess if everyone went digging for them they would die out on Bernal Hill. Nice to know someone carries them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernal Hill Death Camas

• sparsonsusa
    18 years ago

Oh God, don't dig them up! :)
    I forgot to mention above that even know I knew you wanted a plant exchange, I thought I'd mention the Native Here nursery. I was just there and the Zigadenus fremontii looks great! However, the one I bought a few weeks ago looks dead. It fell apart when I was transplanting it and I'm not sure if it'll recover. Many gardeners have reported limited success in growing Death Camas at home. :( I'd hate to think I was one of them!
    Nonetheless, the Zigadenus at Native Here nursery was about $4.00. I bought a whole lot of plants and can't recall the exact price. They are reasonable, though. The best part is that they are from Alameda and Contra Costa counties, so you can help preserve the local gene pool (that includes the whole Bay Area).
    Let me know how you do! If mine starts growing, I'll let you know when I get some seeds!
    Scott
    PS - I believe the "fremontii" is for John C. Fremont. Coincidentally, the namesake of Fremont. :)

• bug_girl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, let me know how yours do. I was interested in growing them, but not if they don't take well to garden conditions. Maybe I will see you at one of our garden web local swaps? I just got back from the twice a year Sacramento Swap yesterday. The soil on Bernal Hill appears to be like pure clay, almost like a rock, and I have sandy soil, since I live closer to the ocean in San Francisco, so maybe they would not like my garden? It would have been fun to see them, since I had to hike all the way up the hill, and it was grueling, but I did not see them at all. I was planning to take a photo, but I think they had all finished blooming by the time, I got there. I assume, they only bloom once a year and then die back? Maybe yours will come back next year?

Sponsored
More Discussions