btropical256

WANTED: indian pipe

btropical256
21 years ago

when the indian pipes come up does anyone have one to trade to me

Comments (20)

• smittyct6
    21 years ago

I don't think you will do well with these.
    Indian-Pipe
    Monotropa uniflora
    Family Pyrolaceae

Characteristics:
    * Plant translucent, waxy, pipe-like.
    * Flower nodding, white or pink, turning blackish with age.
    * Leaves scale-like.
    * Height: 4-10".

Natural History:
    * Visible June - September.
    * Habitat: Shady woods, in soil rich with decaying vegetation.
    * Range: Northeastern United States.
    * Native.

Connections!
    * Monotropa uniflora means "one flower with one turn" in Latin, referring to the hanging flower. The Indian pipe has also been called Ice-Plant, Ghost-Plant, and Corpse-Plant. Not very pleasant!

* Indian pipes are flowering plants, but they contain no chlorophyll. Without chlorophyll, they don't have to depend on sunlight to grow, and therefore thrive in shady areas.

* Well, you may ask, how are these marvelous plants nourished without chlorophyll? Indian pipes are saprophytic, which means they have a symbiotic relationship with fungi, which break down organic matter around the plant's root and provide a constant supply of nutrients.

You need all the right things present to grow them. They are not a plant that can be just dug up and moved where we wish it to grow. Smitty

• carnivorous23
    21 years ago

I agree with Smitty. I've never seen any information anywhere on how to grow them in cultivation, or heard of anyone transplanting them successfully. Probably the only way you will be able to grow them is to plant seeds in a suitable place (under the right kind of tree), and it would be years before you would see any sign of whether they are growing or not.

• windstorm86
    20 years ago

had a bunch of them growing in the timber about 2-3 years ago. haven't seen them since but I will look again. they were so unusual and cute. looked like pretty little fungi. something like lilly-of-the-valley.

• markeya
    19 years ago

I have successfully grown the indian pipes by lifting the plants with a good size ball of soil around the plants and then transplanting the soil ball under the shade of a tree.

• ArborBluffGirl
    19 years ago

They crop up on my property but usually not in the same location twice.

• Denisemd
    19 years ago

Hello Ya'll,
    I was looking at a house for sale last week when I noticed a large grouping of indian pipe in the corner of the yard. They are surreal and just lovely!
    Always,
    Denise

• windstorm86
    19 years ago

I finally found a few of them the other day in a slightly different location and not too many of them.

• BoggsR22
    19 years ago

I tink indian pipe are unusual, i like unusual plants!! i'll go in the woods and see if i can find some!! I might even dig them!:) Gina

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

will you be wearing a panda fur coat while you are digging those indian pipes?

• BoggsR22
    19 years ago

Hummm..... Wearing a panda fur coat while digging??? Whats that suppose to mean??

• lauraann
    19 years ago

This link is the best I have read on explaining why not to dig or transfer. Especially the paragraph 'An Epiparasite'.

Markeya, that is some extremely good luck.

I saw several patches of pinesap 2 weeks ago but have not seen the pipes in person.

LA

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiparasite

• sleepywillow
    19 years ago

found some a few weeks ago and dug up a good size bit of dirt,planted in shade under the cedar tree,,,so far so good..use to be a lot around here but with all the timber being cut and spraying on sides of roads,they are all but dissapearing.....like many other native beauties....

• Jace1
    18 years ago

i also have transplanted the indian pipes an they did very well.

• drunk_ambrose
    16 years ago

where can i buy indian pipe seeds

• drunk_ambrose
    16 years ago

i will trade u rue anenome or blue or yello violets

• lifeearned
    8 years ago

Yeah I have a bunch. Got a price in mind?

• lifeearned
    8 years ago

Sorry. I have a bunch of ghost flowers. Indian pipes.

• Dylan Moshier
    8 years ago

I have a bunch n am willing to sell / trade. U can email me at dyldar@hotmail.com. or Perferably pm me on fb

• HU-166831962
    9 months ago

I found some Indian pipe today what's your trade dog? hit me back soon they won't last long I got nine flowers stems and all I left a few to disperse the sea and continue to cycle of life to make your offer?

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions