o
WANTED: indian pipe

Posted by Btropical256 z7a Pa (elementboards748@aol.com) on
Mon, Apr 21, 03 at 19:19

when the indian pipes come up does anyone have one to trade to me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: indian pipe

I don't think you will do well with these.
Indian-Pipe
Monotropa uniflora
Family Pyrolaceae

Characteristics:
* Plant translucent, waxy, pipe-like.
* Flower nodding, white or pink, turning blackish with age.
* Leaves scale-like.
* Height: 4-10".

Natural History:
* Visible June - September.
* Habitat: Shady woods, in soil rich with decaying vegetation.
* Range: Northeastern United States.
* Native.

Connections!
* Monotropa uniflora means "one flower with one turn" in Latin, referring to the hanging flower. The Indian pipe has also been called Ice-Plant, Ghost-Plant, and Corpse-Plant. Not very pleasant!

* Indian pipes are flowering plants, but they contain no chlorophyll. Without chlorophyll, they don't have to depend on sunlight to grow, and therefore thrive in shady areas.

* Well, you may ask, how are these marvelous plants nourished without chlorophyll? Indian pipes are saprophytic, which means they have a symbiotic relationship with fungi, which break down organic matter around the plant's root and provide a constant supply of nutrients.

You need all the right things present to grow them. They are not a plant that can be just dug up and moved where we wish it to grow. Smitty

o

I agree with Smitty. I've never seen any information anywhere on how to grow them in cultivation, or heard of anyone transplanting them successfully. Probably the only way you will be able to grow them is to plant seeds in a suitable place (under the right kind of tree), and it would be years before you would see any sign of whether they are growing or not.

o

had a bunch of them growing in the timber about 2-3 years ago. haven't seen them since but I will look again. they were so unusual and cute. looked like pretty little fungi. something like lilly-of-the-valley.

o

I have successfully grown the indian pipes by lifting the plants with a good size ball of soil around the plants and then transplanting the soil ball under the shade of a tree.

o

They crop up on my property but usually not in the same location twice.

o

Hello Ya'll,
I was looking at a house for sale last week when I noticed a large grouping of indian pipe in the corner of the yard. They are surreal and just lovely!
Always,
Denise

o

I finally found a few of them the other day in a slightly different location and not too many of them.

o

I tink indian pipe are unusual, i like unusual plants!! i'll go in the woods and see if i can find some!! I might even dig them!:) Gina

o

will you be wearing a panda fur coat while you are digging those indian pipes?

o

Hummm..... Wearing a panda fur coat while digging??? Whats that suppose to mean??

o

This link is the best I have read on explaining why not to dig or transfer. Especially the paragraph 'An Epiparasite'.

Markeya, that is some extremely good luck.

I saw several patches of pinesap 2 weeks ago but have not seen the pipes in person.

LA

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiparasite

o

found some a few weeks ago and dug up a good size bit of dirt,planted in shade under the cedar tree,,,so far so good..use to be a lot around here but with all the timber being cut and spraying on sides of roads,they are all but dissapearing.....like many other native beauties....

o

Thank you, LauraAnn, I love the Monotropa uniflora :) I have several hundred of the Monotropa uniflora growing in my woodland here where I live in the Adirondacks. Please know, I have spent many years in the woodlands propagating and growing native plants and herbs. I enjoy native way gardening, which, by the way, I learned from my ancestors as well as experience and observation. My relatives have lived here and have worked in farming/forestry in the Adirondack mountains for many generations.

I transplant the Indian Pipes with extra attention and care. I lift the plants with the soil intact around the root systems and I transplant into well prepared sites. I find that adding a lot of well rotted/decayed pine roots/wood and/or well decayed maple wood into the soil in the planting bed to be greatly helpful.

In my observation the plants die back each year and reproduce via roots-fungi in the soil and well rotted roots or wood is necessary for the growth of the Indian Pipes. I have found that if I extend the planting beds to several feet and I add decaying wood/roots into the soil (one part soil to each part decayed wood or roots) the Indian pipes reproduce year to year. I also apply a mulch of leaf mould or live moss over the planting site.

I have also transplanted mushrooms with excellent results in the same way. :)

o

i also have transplanted the indian pipes an they did very well.

o

where can i buy indian pipe seeds

o

i will trade u rue anenome or blue or yello violets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Native Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here