Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macranthos

WANTED: Your Native Orchid Seed

macranthos
19 years ago

Hi all, Sorry this is a double post from the orchid exchange, but I didn't know where to put it.

Would anyone be interested in pollinating some native orchids in your yard (or in your pots) and doing some sort of trade later this fall when the pods are ready?

The exchanges I'm thinking of are very negotiable and are on the lines one of the following.

1.) NON-NATIVE: I have a few small tropical orchids which I will happily trade to get a large pod or two worth of hardy orchid seed.

2.) NON-NATIVE: For those interested in flasking, I have 15 pods of Phaius bernaysii, (and I only need half of one), as well as a few pods of Bletilla striata, hopefully several Bletilla formosama, a single Pleione bulbocodioides, conceivably some Epi radicans if there was interest.

3.) NATIVE TRADE: I will delightfully take your seed, and if it germinates and grows into seedlings, I will send you a percentage of the seedlings (30% maybe) in one and a half years when they're ready.

Of course, please only respond if the plants are on your property: Illegal removal of parts of orchids from parks etc is bad.

I will consider any native hardy seed species, except for Cypripedium acaule, the pink lady slipper unless you choose option #3, (don't expect much in return, though), because it's too hard to germinate.

Those genera that I am particularly looking for are cypripedium, calypso, pogonia, platanthera, habenaria, calopogon, arethusa, epipactis gigantea, galearis spectabilis, and triphora trianthophora.

By the way, if you need help pollinating some orchids, I can help. I also have an excellent essay on the pollination of Cypripedium by Camiel F DeJong that he has posted on the internet for private use.

This is for my private research and learning. It is of great interest to me, but It is in the interest of $$ that I don't pay $6 a packet at the Orchid Seedbank Project, as wonderful as it is.

Any interest?

Ross

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions