o
WANTED: indian paintbrush

Posted by plantbug 7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 9:39

I would love to have this plant. Please check my page for a trade. plantbug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: indian paintbrush

It is hard to grow, as it is semi-parasitic on certain grasses. I have never been able to get it to transplant successfully.

o

Ditto. I had a whole 'Prairie in a pot' with Indian paintbrush and several other plants for it to parasitize, and it just disappeared after a couple of seasons. Its' hemiparasitic nature is a relatively new discovery, so there isn't a lot of information about which plants it prefers to parasitize, so maybe I didn't have the right ones - although, from what I've read, it isn't supposed to be very picky about what plants it parasitizes. It can technically live on its own because, having green leaves, it can photosynthesize. But it is more robust with a host. I suggest getting the seeds as opposed to the plant, and make sure the soil you plant it in is poor in nutrients. Lupines make a good host, and bind nitrogen to the soil, which might give the paintbrush a chlorophyll boost. The DNR is trying to reestablish paintbrush on a pimpled prairie near here (Mima Mounds State Park). They get plants from a little old lady who grows them in her back yard and they plant them all over the park. Each individual plant has an ID tag, and its location is marked on a map with the help of a GPS. The plants are monitored very closely. All I can say is, if the DNR is having so much trouble growing them, do not be discouraged if you try and fail, or have little success.

o

They like to grow among grasses in moist ditches up in the mountains, and when the neatniks mow the sides of the road, they gradually disappear. (Plantbug, M. collected seeds a couple of years ago.)

When they are young they are very weedy looking, so you have to be careful not to pull them out. Guess that is my excuse for a no-weed area near the lake where I put some seeds. Unfortunately, we just had so much rain that many of the established plants went bye-bye or were covered by soil from up stream erosion.

That's Mother Nature for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Native Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here