Return to the Native Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: various woodland natives

Posted by spiderwoman z6so.cent.PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 14:39

I have a fair sized stand of goldenseal in my woods that I'd like to save from destruction. I will be giving up the place and I'm fairly certain that the woodland area will be cleared. The glitch is that I am not able to dig and ship so takers will have to come and dig their own plants. There are other plants out there too including wild ginger and geraniums. Perhaps a few other desireables as well. Email me if you would care to undertake this. I would be happy to have plants or seeds in trade.
spiderwoman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: various woodland natives

Darn, wish I were close to you!

o

What part of PA are you in? I am by Penn State. Shari

o

WAY south, sorry. I am 2 miles north of the PA/MD line (aka: the Mason-Dixon Line). Next town over is Gettysburg. Maybe a history field trip?? combined with plant collecting?
spiderwoman (martha)
If you wish to look me up email me and I'll send along my farm address and you can get a Mapquest look at where I am.

o

I have a girlfriend that just moved to Aspers (sp?) I will mention your offer to her and see if she is interested. Thanks Shari

o

Shari,
Aspers is correct spelling. I just hired a young man who lives there as my farm helper. It is about 20 miles from me. Maybe your friend can dig for both of you? I went out there last week and the plants are ripe with beautiful red seeds right now (probably gone by now as there is lots of wildlife out theretoo)and there is plenty for several people. Carol23 is planning to dig plants in the fall for Chanticleer Gardens.
spiderwoman

o

Hi Spiderwoman,
I think I've conversed with you on the b'fly forum. Anyway, I'm looking for Goldenseal for the migrating Monarchs. I'm in VA so making a trip there is out of the question. But, I was wondering if you have any seeds from the Goldenseal??? plmk
Sharon

o

Kizzyseeds, I'm sorry but I don't harvest the seeds of the woodland plants.
I don't think that you will find that the Monarchs use goldenseal anyway. They blossom in spring and even the seeds are gone by the time Monarchs begin to show up around here. My place is just buzzing with them today. Lovely sight!
I don't mean to discourage you from planting goldenseal but it does need pretty specific conditions to thrive. It needs a rich dry woods to grow. It doesn't even survive here if I move it down to the gardens.
spiderwoman

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Native Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here