Return to the Native Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Tennessee Purple Coneflowers

Posted by rreia Tennessee (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 21:26

I would love to help get this native plant off the endangered species list, but I don't have much to trade and it's not legal to buy or sell these plants. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Tennessee Purple Coneflowers

I am also in tennessee. I found the seeds at praire moon. The bad thing is that one picture shows Echinacea tennesseensis and the other shows a picture of Echinacea purpurea which are 2 totally different flowers. I hope that helps you as I so love the true tennessee coneflower.

o

It is legal to buy and grow these coneflowers as long as the seller has a permit to sell. Most people who sell them do not have a permit or just don't care. It is also legal to give seed and plants away, no permit required to do that. I have been growing them for 6 to 8 years now and offer free seed on the Seed Exchange forum every Fall. They are very easy to grow and love hot dry conditions.
jim_6b

o

Mary's Greenhouse in McMinnville advertises them but were out the weekend of the 30th. They may get more in.

o

Purple Cone Flower:

I have several stands of Purple Cone Flower in my yard which I have propagated from seeds. I will be happy to send you some cuttings/Flowers. It spreads like crazy, but the blooms are long lasting and great for the bees, butterflies and birds.

o

does anyone have any of these seeds available? so beautiful!!

o

Hi lenahall. I have left the seed heads out for the birds to nosh on over winter. If you like, I'd be happy to snip off a couple seed heads and send them to you for free. I don't think the birds will miss one or two. I have germinated my plants from seed. Once they take hold, they will want to take over the place. They are really pretty.

First let's make sure I have the plant you are looking for. Here is a link to what I have: http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/280970-echinacea-or-purple-coneflower/member/bathgate

If this is what you are looking for, great! I'll send you some seed heads,

Also, I live in New York and so does my plants. Would this be an issue for them growing well in your region? I'm not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea or Purple Coneflower

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Native Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here