Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kizzyseeds

WANTED: Going Native

kizzyseeds
18 years ago

Hi everybody,

I've been on GW for 3 years now and have collected an extensive variety of plants and seeds. However, most of them are tropicals, etc.

I have become disabled this year, recovering from a broken neck and other injuries I sustained when I was struck by a car while crossing the street. Anyway, I have grown almost everything in pots and I can't keep up with maintaining them now so I want to landscape. I'm spending a lot of time on my front porch and want to attract butterflies and hummingbirds to enjoy.

I have awakened to the fact that native plants are ecologically the way to go. I will still grow a couple of my tropicals in pots to enjoy the beauty and fragrance, but I don't want them in my landscape. Unfortunately, I don't know much about native plants, as many introduced species have become naturalized here.

I'm hoping that some of the knowledgeable traders on this forum can help me out with suggestions or offers of seeds/plants. I'm getting on in years and would really like the satisfaction that I have done something admirable with this property, as well as leaving something for my grandchildren to nourish.

Thanks for your "ear".

Sharon

Comments (3)

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    18 years ago

Hi Kizzy,
    I'm truly sorry to hear about your accident. What a life changing event you've gone through. I live in Central Texas, so I don't know your area very well. But, I do agree with you about planting nativve plants. I had to spend a lot of money on plants that didn't grow here before I understood that. You might want to try doing some web searches. Insert "native zone 7 plants". However, you've probably figured that out by now. My natives wouldn't necessarily grow in your area.

I've also paid close attention to anything that I've seen growing wild in fields and ditches as I drive. I've managed to add quite a few great plants to my yard because of those rescues. Maybe you can get one of those grandchildren interesting in plant rescues. It sounds like you'll need some assistance with that.

God bless you and provide you with some plants that you can put down yourself... nothing beats getting your own hands dirty.
    Xtal

• garden4wildlife
    18 years ago

Kizzy, your desire to grow natives is commendable! I noticed that once I started converting my yard to natives, the house sparrows, starlings, pigeons, and other "trash birds" (non-native, exotic species that are indicative of disturbed habitats) were replaced by more and more native birds every year. I started seeing more butterflies and caterpillars, more of all kinds of insects and frogs and toads and lizards...it's amazing how much of a difference planting natives makes in attracting wildlife.

I live in GA, so we have some plants in common, but I don't know how far north "my" native plants range. I think you probably have rather different growing conditions than I do, aside from temperature, so I don't know how much I could help you with suggestions.

This forum is just for trading...you'll probably have a lot better luck getting suggestions if you post your request for suggestions on native landscaping in the natives discussion forum, or even in the wildlife garden forum (most of the people over on the wildlife forum realize that you attract more wildlife with native plants).

• squirrelspur
    18 years ago

Sharon:
    I am in zone 7A, in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mts, north central North Carolina Mostly wooded acres with a rock outcropping over a stream. Will describe some of the natives that grow here:
    Spring bloom: trout lilies, bloodroot, may apple, spicebush, mountain laurel, azaleas, dogwood, coral bells
    Summer bloom: fire pink, cup plant, thimbleweed, clematis viorna, purple coneflower, indian pink, native honeysuckles, passion flower
    Fall bloom: black-eyed susan, woodland sunflowers, asters, seashore mallow, lobelias, turtlehead

Others...christmas fern, sensitive fern

Sorry not to use botanical names but this is just a quick note. Could collect some seeds for you if interested ( and provide botanical names, drop me a line.

Karen

Sponsored
More Discussions