Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy1155

WANTED: Oplopanax horridus, Devil's Club

peggy1155
19 years ago

Native to Washington and Alaska, I think. I'm looking for either seeds or root. I know the seeds can take up to 2 years to germinate but would still really like some! This is "Devil's Club" which is different from "Devil's Walking Stick". Would really appreciate a trade or SASBE.

Thanks!

Peggy1155

Comments (14)

• peggy1155
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Cherokee34! I was fortunate to receive some seeds from a friend. I really wanted them for my sister in New Hampshire for Christmas. I do appreciate your offer though, thank you so much!

peggy1155

• icestorm_317_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Hi,
    It was love at first sight when I came across Devils club online.I've searched everywhere for Root/plant.I'd be so grateful for any help.

• justnportland
    14 years ago

Gary. I can help you with the root and/or plants. have you acquired them yet?

• pumpkinhollow
    10 years ago

Been trying to start this plant from seed for years. No luck. Anyone willing to send a plant or cutting still? Contact me and we will work on the details. Thank you

• Dennis Berry
    8 years ago

I would love some devil's club for my garden but am not having any luck finding them. I have lots of native medicinals from the ozarks and am confident I can creat a suitable environment for them here in zone 6

• walkinwounded
    8 years ago

I would love to get some live root shipped to me, can anyone help?

• cherokee34
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This time of year, you're better off with fresh seed. They like it shady and wet. Not sure on the treatment of seeds, if they need to be fresh planted, chilled, etc. The problems with getting live root is they are VERY large plants, and of course, very spiny. I've tried to dig them before, only to have a branch hit me in the face. Not happy. They tend to be shallow, but thick, roots, and when you hit one with a shovel, the whole plant bounces forward.

• cherokee34
    8 years ago

Info from University of Washington:

Seed
    germination (needs dormancy breaking?)

Similar Asian species have morpho-physiological dormancy. Suggested 72 hour running water soak, followed by a minimum of a 100 day cold moist stratification/100 day warm moist stratification/100 day cold moist stratification. Germinates the second year.

• walkinwounded
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

cherokee34, would you not be able to break down the root cluster in to smaller pieces and still be able you propagate a new plant from it or do you need the entire root ball? I'm assuming you would cut off all the stock to the ground and just transplant the root tubers in the fall like a raspberry or something. I have had a friend mail me ginseng tuber in the fall when the top foliage dies back, she just dug up the root and shipped, but of course I do not know if you could do this with devils club.

Either way, I would really be interested in getting some live root if possible and if not then I would love to try from seed, however I have read that seed can be quite hard to start. Email me if your interested and we can sort out the details and cost

• walkinwounded
    8 years ago

Would you be willing to ship either?

• cherokee34
    8 years ago

I need to get out soon and look for mushrooms, so if I find some seed, I can send it. Devil's Club is a very large, and VERY spiny thing, but I would not want to try cutting all the branches just to get the root. Besides, they might fall on me, and that would be ouchie.

• walkinwounded
    8 years ago

That would be great, I would really appreciate it. Let me know if you find any.

• cherokee34
    8 years ago

Devil's Club is actually a fairly massive plant, with a very large rootstock underneath an excruciatingly spiny plant. To cut off all the 'arms' to get at the root would just be destructive.