Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleepywillow

HAVE: have these native's and more

sleepywillow
19 years ago

purple liatris-aka blazing stars

white yarrow

two toned morning glories look like flying sacers-seeds are mix of pink ,purple,white,light blue and dark blue..

button bush

button weed-the pearl(bog plant)

white cypress vine

red cypress vine

minature purple and orange morning glory mix

mix of 5 kinds ornamental grass-

wild daisy

mullein-yellow

poplar-tulip tree seeds

maple tree seeds

purple rose of sharon-native hibiscus

white small native hibiscus-aka-wild cotton

wisteria-purple

wisteria-wild scarlett(makes a small tree)

red bud

japenese honeysuckle vine seeds...

more on trade list ...can we trade????i am looking for lots of things i don't have ,not all native,,will be glad to check list....HAPPY THANSGIVING EVERYONE,,AND THANKS FOR ALL THE TRADES THIS YEAR!

Comments (7)

• mrnatural
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

my dear sleepywillow,
    i know you have good intentions, but japanese honeysuckle really ought not to be spread. on my land i've been fighting it for years and no doubt will have to for many years to come. for the sake of natives, i ask you to not propagate this monster.

• sleepywillow
    Original Author
    19 years ago

yes, you are correct if let go it does spread....but it has been here my whole life(41),and kept in control..pretty easily also.The aroma to me is worth it ,not to mention the hummingbirds and butterflies..like a lot of vines,if left to spread it shall...after all ,it is a vine...but gorgeous up on a trellis or fence.i am sorry your's has given you so much grief,,,

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

This forum is for trading Native Plants...and japanese honeysuckle is definitely not native.

• sleepywillow
    Original Author
    19 years ago

i realized that a few days after i added it ,if there was a way to remove it i would ,,but i can not,,i thank you for your imput though,,,,,,sorry if this confused anyone as a native plant,,,,,,did not mean too...i have been gardening all my life with family but only in the past couple years learning what was native ,scientific names,etc..i have learned more on gw and from all the kind people here willing to help other's than any where else and i thank each and every one of you...i thank you ,,,happy holidays,,,,,

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

Happy Holidays to you, too! I hope I didn't sound mean, I just wanted to let you know. Check my trade list..you have some stuff I'd like to try. April

• garden4wildlife
    19 years ago

sleepywillow, I'm not trying to gang up on you since I know the others have already had a say about this, but I just wanted to point out that just because you're cutting the Japanese honeysuckle back in your yard, does NOT mean you're controlling it. (And the morning glories and the wisteria you have listed are also invasive exotics, I believe. There is a native wisteria, but you'd have to get a proper ID to make sure you have the native, not one of the obnoxious, invasive, Asian varieties.)

Just to give you ONE example of why invasives - in this case Japanese honeysuckle - are a very serious problem, there's a place in Georgia called Heggie's Rock which is a unique environment found only in that part of the world. There are several rare and endangered plants there that grow nowhere else. This place has never (to my knowledge) been inhabited by humans, and while there are a couple of human homes nearby, they're all a good bit away from Heggie's Rock, and Heggie's Rock itself is, as the name implies, a big rock (we're talking 101 acres large). The plants on Heggie's Rock grow mostly in shallow depressions in the huge rock, isolated by vast stretches of rock with nothing on it. In addition, there are also several species of very rare spiders and insects inhabiting these pockets on Heggie's rock, and many of them are found nowhere else in the world. They've evolved with these plants and if the plants go extinct, they very likely will, too. In several of these isolated pockets, there is now Japanese honeysuckle, privet, and other invasive exotics growing there, and those invasive plants are destroying this unique, irreplacable habitat and further threatening the one-of-a-kind plant life there with extinction. The Japanese honeysuckle did not spread there just by being a vine and travelling over the ground. There's no way it could have travelled over that much rock, even if it came from the closest human settlement. It had to get there by having the seeds distributed by wind or animals. The only reason Japanese honeysuckle and other exotics haven't totally destroyed the plant life on Heggie's Rock is because of dedicated volunteers who go out there on a regular basis to pull out and destroy those noxious weeds. And every time they go out again, there are new seedlings of Japanese honeysuckle and other invasives coming up. So even if you're cutting the Japanese honeysuckle on your property back to the size you want it to be, you are by no means controlling it. All you're doing is stopping your *individual plant* from growing to a certain size, but you aren't stopping the *species itself* from spreading to other areas. You just aren't actually seeing the spread with your own eyes, but I guarantee you the species IS spreading, and most likely, at least some of those new seedlings coming from your vines every year are doing damage to native plants somewhere you don't know about. If you want to read more about Heggie's Rock, go to http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/georgia/preserves/art6696.html (BTW, look at the very bottom of the page - they specifically mention Japanese honeysuckle and Chinese wisteria as two of the invasive species they have to diligently control on this location).

If you feel you just have to have honeysuckle around, then PLEASE, totally take out all the Japanese honeysuckle and replace it with the non-invasive, native flame honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens. It's beautiful, it's got a nice smell, it won't invade other areas, it won't choke out other plants if it does set seeds, and it's easy to find and cheap to buy. I bet at least one of your local plant nurseries carries it fairly cheaply. I believe places like Lowe's even carry it on occasion. It would be much better for all wildlife if you could part with the Japanese honeysuckle.

The link I'm providing is also an excellent place to learn more on this subject. Please read it when you have the time...I promise, I'm not trying to chastise you and I'm not trying to be preachy, but this is a more serious subject than most people realize.

Here is a link that might be useful: GWF's

• ROY_PICKETT
    19 years ago

everything that grows is native somewhere....never know,someone in japan may want some..Roy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions