Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rude_rudy

HAVE: who wants trumpet creeper?

RUDE_RUDY
19 years ago

I have been cleaning up my asparagus patch lately and dug out some trumpet creeper roots. These are some really big roots. most are 6 to 12 inches long and thick, some are broken off at the bottom end.I suppose that breaking them off like that will not kill them.

If anyone wants any, I am open to finding them a home.

I am interested in unusual seeds or plants that are native to the ozark region of mid- missouri.

Comments (12)

• wildlifehelper2000
    19 years ago

Got any yellow flower var.?

• RUDE_RUDY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have not seen any yellow flowers on trumpet creepers in this area.

• wildlifehelper2000
    19 years ago

Well they are rare in the wild. But some nurseries sell them.

• linda_schreiber
    18 years ago

Hi, Rudy
    Don't mean to be rude at all, Rude Rudy, but I am in MI, and I have spent the last few years [and a hard sweaty batch of hours just this afternoon, yet again] trying to find some way of **killing** this thing, or even significantly discouraging it. I have put a lot of sweat and blisters into the project over several years, and I am making progress, but still feel like I am losing.

I suspect that this may not be same variety, and that certainly the growing conditions where you are are not the same as where I am. But for those in my upper midwest region, I would like to discourage takers on your kind offer, or any plant that is labelled as 'Trumpet Vine/Creeper'. At least make sure you have a calmer cultivated variety, and check with others in your area about that cultivar. Apparently, the native type **really likes it** in our particular environment here.

Trumpet Vine/Creeper = a bad planting idea! ........... unless you are in a hurry to cover the barn falling apart in the backlot, and there are no plantings for about a hundred feet in front of it that you care about, and that everything around that is to be mowed on a regular basis........

Rudy said:
    I suppose that breaking them off like that will not kill them.

And I say:
    At least for the native form in the upper midwest, beware of leaving four inch long root segments that are anything close to a quarter-inch thick. It all begins again..........

Re broken roots and viability... I suspect there will be no problem. They should do just fine >>>>

Sorry, Rudy. I am a bit frustrated...
    Linda

• getyourleash
    18 years ago

Those son-of-a-gun's are listed as invasive in Delaware. And they are exactly that.

• greenthumdfamily
    18 years ago

Hi, yes they are listed as invasive here in florida too but i plan on growing some i will put them in a big pot i will not plant them in the ground as i see a house here with trumpet growing up walls and the roof you could see because it was covered and when they get old they don't look the same they look more woody and brooken down

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

We pay darn good money for them here. You shouldn't discourage someone from what they enjoy, IMHO. We pay $20.00 for a 12 inch start!
    If you don't want then to be invasive, do like greenthumb said, plant it in a pot. Wow!, just because you are "frustrated" doesn't mean you have to be somewhat pooping on someones post. Please don't get upset with me, just please reconsider your wording, or possibly not replying at all on someone else's post. Make a new thread of your own with your concerns on the appropriate forum.
    I am not meaning this in a rude manner, just suggesting, and also letting you know that there are others out here who really enjoy this vine alot.

Thanks,
    Tina

• getyourleash
    18 years ago

Please understand that invasives compromise our native environment, and there's always that off chance that a little seed or sprout could get away from a container. Folks who are purists when it comes to natives have a difficult time with invasives in general and with good reason. While I am not a purist, I see no reason to propagate a non-native that has the potential to harm native biodiversity. For example, my neighbor planted tansey in a pot. Well, it went to seed and nearly the entire street has this monster now! I've been trying to eradicate it for YEARS. I am not a purist, but when it comes to certain invasives, they aren't worth the risk, even in a pot.

• joan02
    16 years ago

Hi, I would like to get information on the Trumpet creeper.
    Florida Fish and Wildlife recommended this plant for a humming bird garden. Does anybody know where I can find some plants or even seeds. Thanks Joan

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

If we are talking about Campsis radicans, I believe it is a native, thus the label "invasive" does not really apply. (One invades from somewhere else??) However, it is really agressive as is poison ivey, which some people grow in Europe for fall color. I try to take out agressives, but I also know from reading different lists that geography often dictates where a plant is "invasive." Here we have much trouble with privet/ligustrum but many people buy it still for hedges. On my property it is worse than Japanese honeysuckle. I also have a major problem with Smilax, which is sold as an ornamental and does fine in older climates. Bradford pears here are showing up everywhere!! As for Campsis radicans, it grows on my mailbox, and people stop to admire it. I kill it most other places, however, as it WILL take over. Knowing that, people can make their own decisions unless your state has it listed as one that cannot be sold there or even shipped there. I would not recommend it without telling the person all of its bad habits. As for invasive ALIENS, I do not buy and am slowly trying to eliminate from my property.

• aprilfool
    16 years ago

I have some trumpet creeper on a trellis and it does come up in nearby places but is cut with the lawn mower and is kelp under control with lawn maintenance. You pay big bucks for it here in the nursey.

• windstorm86
    16 years ago

I have a trumpet creeper which at the moment is contentedly decorating a cedar post if I can keep it there. it looks like a standard. Secondly I saw a beautiful yellow one in Springfield. I didn't ask but I doubt they would care if you got a start. It was all over the west side of the house. It is a wonder that the siding is still on the house. I would love to get a start of it and plant it down in the woods on some of my ice-mangled trees. It is about like wisteria. Keep after it with pruning shears. I have some of it trained as trees and standards. It might work with the trumpet creeper. Mine is behaving so far.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions