Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorarail

WANTED: Ilex decidua - Possumhaw Holly

sorarail
19 years ago

Hub and I want to yank out our non-native nandina and put in an ilex decidua. Any suggestions where I might find one?

Comments (9)

• jhl49
    19 years ago

Goodness Grows, 332 Elberton Rd, Lexington, Georgia 30648-2418 had them last year but that may be too far for you to drive. It is about 20 miles east of Athens, Ga. I do not think they mail order plants. Most of theirs are large size plants = expensive. Their number is (706) 743-5055.
    Incidentally, I. decidua is dioecious, in case you didn't know, so a male and female are needed for berries. I have been told that other male holly species won't polinate decidua.

• super65
    19 years ago

Actually, ilex decidua is polygamo-dioecious. See "Trees of Central Texas" by Robert A. Vines. Or, the following link which notes that: >Even though this species is dioecious, nonfunctioning stamens are still present (and actually, sometimes these stamens do produce pollen, so Ilex decidua is not strictly dioecious.http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/bio406d/images/pics/aqu/ilex_decidua.htm

I got to wondering about this after reading the preceeding reply and then couldn't recall not ever seeing a possumhaw tree w/o at least some berries on it.

• jhl49
    19 years ago

I. decidua may not be strictly dioecious but they are indigenous on my property and some, in fact most, do not produce berries. So I would ask the source if you buy one. I have had a difficult time finding a source.
    The Green Plant Market grows them from time to time and the owner, Jim Rodgers seems to be very knowlegeable about native trees. They do apparantly have a weeping form and a gold berried form, but are "temporarily out" of the typical red berried tree. Because it is generally quite small as trees go, they list it under shrubs.

http://www.wegrowit.com/greenplant/GreenPlantMarket.html

• super65
    19 years ago

I am speaking strictly about indigenous trees. Assuming you've correctly identified your trees, it is odd that some, yet most, are without berries, because Ilex decidua are all capable of producing at least some perfect flowers.

• Linda_8B
    19 years ago

I've seen quite a few mature Possumhaws without berries, including one on my own property. I think most people just wouldn't notice Possumhaws without the berries to call attention to them, but I know how to ID I. decidua without berries. Two books, How To Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest and National Audubon Society Fiels Guide to North American Trees both say that male and female flowers are on separate plants. Maybe there are exceptions to the rule, but if so, that isn't mentioned in those two books.

• croakie_SC
    19 years ago

Sorarail (cool name by the way), a couple of other sources for I. decidua are Woodlanders in Aiken (www.woodlanders.net) and Nurseries Caroliniana in North Augusta (www.nurseriescaroliniana.com). NC doesn't list it on their webpage but they do have the shrubs at the nursery.

From what I was told at Nurseries Caroliniana, only the females will produce berries but they can be pollinated by Ilex opaca which blooms at the same time.

• hollybygolly
    15 years ago

I have about 25 different cultivars of native hollies (Ilex opaca, Ilex decidua, Ilex verticillata) for sale at my nursery. For a new 2009 nursery catalog, please send a 42 cent stamp to: Piping Tree Gardens & Nursery, 13171 Scotchtown Road, Beaverdam, VA 23015.

• PRO
    WildThings Rescue Nursery
    15 years ago

Wowwwww. Old Spike NEVER woulda let this blatent advertising stay up this long!

Hey Hollybygolly.....You bother reading the instructions?
    This is a "Trading" site. Not to mention, a 4 year old post. Sheesh!

Kinda miss old Spikey.

• hollybygolly
    13 years ago

Hey, I do not have time to ever read instructions written by someone else.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz
More Discussions