Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejoy2

Olympia Spring Trade

bejoy2
15 years ago

I am proposing a plant trade at Sunwood Lakes in Olympia on May 9, the day before Mother's Day. Comments, suggestions?

Comments (46)

• eriktampabay
    15 years ago

Great idea. Maybe if people listed what they had for trade you would get a better turn out.

Here is what I would be bringing, if it happens.

100 1 gallon rare xbutyagrus Mule palm.
    50 Butia capitata Pindo palm. seedlings.
    50 chinese fan palm seedlings.

• greenelephant
    15 years ago

I like the May date. You can include summer annuals and vegetables. This is a good year to plant a Victory Garden to beat the economy with homegrown produce.

People will have gardening fever by then.

Jim

• michelelee
    15 years ago

Sounds great to me. I should be able to make it. Michele

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    15 years ago

The date sounds good to me. I had a great time at the fall trade and I think the location is fantastic. Plenty of room for plants and a great place for doing the food. Plus it's not too far for me!! I don't know what else I will have for sure, but right now I have some bergenia, Chocolate Joe Pye Weed and a tall white aster. By then I should have lots more.
    Thanks for organizing!

• boizeau
    15 years ago

Do stop by the scionwood exchange in Federal Way if any of you are doing fruits, berries and such. I do have rooted plants, but won't bring them to this event.

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions to Scion Exchange

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All right then, it's a date! See you all there!

The address is
    8005-1 Thrulake Circle SE
    Olympia, WA 98513

I will post driving directions as the date gets closer.

Tammy

• alaskanamazon
    15 years ago

I'd be interested too. I could bring some rooted wisteria cuttings, comfrey divisions, a wide variety of carnivorous plants (both hardy and tropical) etc.

• treepalm
    15 years ago

I'm in.
    Teresa

• jools42
    15 years ago

I could make this drive, count me in! Not sure yet what I'll bring.

• franswindowbox
    15 years ago

the first week in may sounds great!!! I'm just going to go a head w a wants and have list right here 4 U all.
    HAVE
    bleeding heart
    ajuga
    lily of the valley
    curly sage I got from one of guys that is wonderful
    autume crocus
    lungwart
    lambs hears
    lamiun
    tiarella
    sweet woodruff
    sweet cicely
    fever few
    WANTS
    ferns of any type
    cymicifuga ~ brunet
    ligularia
    any hydrangeas!!! (macrophylums? penicultas, oak leave, lemonwave)I have a 3 year onl start of H,M. shooling stare, and HM Kalidescope lace cap.

LMK what u guys think ... Luv you miss you ~Frani

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since we have the clubhouse, I thought we could do a potluck. I will supply the drinks, plates, cutlery and napkins. I will have coffee available, too.

eriktampabay , my Mom would like one of each of your palm selections. What would you like in trade?

franswindowbox, I would love some of your autumn crocus and lily of the valley. I don't have a plant list right now, but maybe you'll see something you want at the trade.

Tammy

• boizeau
    15 years ago

Will be looking for shade plants, hostas and such.
    I will bring a few odd things.
    Any demand for Autumn Bliss Raspberries?

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, please, I would love some Autumn Bliss Raspberries! I have some hosta I can trade.
    Bejoy2

• merrygardener
    15 years ago

Count me in as well! Hmmm... what to bring.... In a few weeks I will know what is ready to be divided or shared. I would also be interested in the raspberries. This will be my first exchange and I have a procedural question: Do we plan out all exchanges prior to the event or have the plants available pot luck as well as the food?
    Speaking of food, I'm good for a homemade pastry if it's a morning exchange or cookies/pie if it's in the afternoon. I wish I were so sure about my plants!

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The trade will start at 10:00 AM. Some people pre-arrange trades and some don't. If you do arrange pre-trades, set them to the rear of your area, or leave them in your vehicle until the person you've arranged the trade with finds you, or you find them. A sign with your name on it at your station makes that easier. You don't have to bring a lot of plants. Many's the time I have left a trade with much more than I brought. People are always happy to share. I've linked a great Seattle Times article about how the plant trade works below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Times Article

• merrygardener
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.

• alaskanamazon
    15 years ago

Anyone want some mature forsythia? I just inherited three 3-4' tall plants that I will be bringing to the swap as well. :-)

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    15 years ago

I posted a link to this thread over at Daves Garden because I know there are several gardeners there from the South Sound area that are likely to want to come. Sounds like we will have a nice crowd. I'm excited! I need to start digging though..if only they ground would dry up enough so I don't get soaked doing so.

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    15 years ago

Boizeau, I'd be interested in a raspberry. I am not yet sure what I'll be bringing, but you can bet it will include shade perennials. Thanks,
    Suzy

• jitterbug_gardener
    15 years ago

I'd like to come. I have hemerocallis Stella d'Oro, Ligularia dentata, cuttings from hydrangea 'Nikko Blue' and some other stuff - I'll put my list together and post again.

Kathy
    katie59 on Dave's Garden

• eazine
    15 years ago

Sounds good. If anyone has interest in trading I could bring these in:

Black Beauty Eggplants
    Casper Eggplant
    Toga Eggplant
    Wonder Egg
    Banana Melons
    Kiwano Melon
    Amy Melon
    Ogen Melon
    Sweet Siberian Watermelon
    Sugar baby Watermelon
    Iroquois Melon
    Serpent Melon
    Japanese Long Cucumber
    Crystal Apple Cucumber
    Miniature white cucumber
    Poona Kheera cucumber
    Corno Di Toro Pepper
    Mini Bells Multi Colored Bell Peppers
    West India Gerkin
    Mexican Sour Gerkin
    Various Tomatos -
    Green Zebra
    Orange Banana
    Snow White
    Ruby's Green
    Plum Lemon
    Tlacolula
    Beefsteaks
    Various Red Cherry
    Ground Cherry - not a tomato
    Chicory
    Lupine
    Zinnia - Envy
    Oriental Poppy
    - might have some herbs as well
    ALSO have Kniola's Black' Morning Glory I am trying to remove from my yard. It is very hardy but pretty - if anyone wants it before I rip the last out let me know.

• clc70
    15 years ago

Hi, am not new to garden web but am new to this site. Am very interested in the plant exchange occuring in May. I am very into winter sowing and hope to have lots of new plants by then. I would love to be involved. Does one need to reserve a space, or just show up with your plants?

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Connie, Just show up with your plants, cuttings, seeds, produce, whatever you have from your garden. There's plenty of parking, and if we have more people than can be accommodated in the circle we have been setting up in, there is plenty of real estate off to the side of the parking area and around the clubhouse.

Alaskanamazon, I would love a mature forsythia! I have year-old cuttings but no blooms on them thus far this year. I was thinking I would have to actually buy a forsythia. Where's the fun in that?

I will try to have some rooted azalea and rhododendron cuttings and other shrub starts available for the trade, as well as the usual herbaceous perennials. I also have several 1- and 5-gallon peonies. I can bring some ceramic pots and kitty litter buckets, too.

I am so excited that this trade is getting so much response! I'm looking forward to meeting many new friends in the gardening community. I plan on making this a regularly scheduled event every September and May for the forseeable future. Hope you all mark your calendars!

Tammy

• sheltonrose
    15 years ago

Hi - I am new to this forum as of today. I would like to come to the swap in Olympia at Sunwood Lakes but I am not familiar with that area. Where is Sunwood Lakes? Can anyone give me directions? I have some unusual bi-color strawberries to trade.

• clc70
    15 years ago

I will be there! I'm so excited. Nightnurse, can I get some bergenia? And pranswindowbox can I get some autumn crocus and your tiarela? And Alaskanamazon, I would love to have one of your forsythia. I lost mine a year ago. I will look around in my yard this weekend and see what I can dig up for this event. It will be a little while before I know what my winter sowing will provide. But with close to 200 milk jugs planted, I'm sure I will have lots to share. I will post a list later on.

• franswindowbox
    15 years ago

Looking forward to Mother's Day weekend.
    I would love one of the forsythia, I will bring the Autume crocus for both Tammy and Connie. However Connie I have already promised the tiarella to Susan(night nurse). Tammy I will include the lily of the valley for you. See you all then. Frani

• tuffyworld
    15 years ago

Count me in again. Looking forward to seeing all of you. Connie I winter sow also and look forward to talking with you. I will bring a potato dish. Don't know what plants I will bring yet.
    Katie

• clc70
    15 years ago

Grrrhh! It snowed all day today. I had hoped to make an inventory of plants that I could bring to the spring trade. I know I have some bloody dock and some crocrosmia bulbs (unknown color).

• garden_of_mu
    15 years ago

I'll be there, and my friend Ruth who accompanied me at the fall trade will be along too. She is so excited and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone as well. I'll get a list together over the next week or two and will post it. I'm looking for anything deer resistant that likes poor well drained soil. However I'd also love to get a couple rooted rhodie cuttings if available.

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have one-year-old rhodie cuttings that are still green and have new growth. I haven't checked yet to see if they are rooted. It can take three years for a rhodie cutting to root. When it gets closer to the trade, I will check them for roots and let you know. I also tried some azalea cuttings, same status. I read that buttersoft cuttings of azalea root best of all, so will try some of those, too before the trade.

I will also have some houseplants. I know at least one person I spoke with about the trade is looking for houseplants, so I encourage all to bring 'em if you've got 'em.

Tammy

• kayakay
    15 years ago

WANT:
    ...hosta
    ...weigelia
    ...shooting star & other wildfowers
    ...bunchberry
    ..Plants for hummingbirds & butterflies
    ...Deer resistant plants
    ...vegetable starts
    ...kousa dogwood
    ...currant

HAVE 5 acres of woods/native plants in Vancouver, WA. I will dig up and pot the larger plants as soon as I have a planned trade with someone.
    ...Ferns: swordfern, deerfern, ladyfern, one maidenhair,
    ...wild ginger
    ...tiarella (foamflower)
    ...periwinkle groundcover
    ...Pacific bleeding heart
    ...Red hot poker
    ...snowberry (Symphoricarpos alb us) shrub
    ...nootka rose
    ...red wild huckleberry
    ...two 3-foot dwarf Alberta Spruce trees
    ...osoberry (Indian plum) sapling
    ...bigleaf maple sapling
    ...vine maple sapling

Frani, do you have any Autume crocus left? If so, I can trade you for ferns.
    Connie, I have tiarella (native foamflower); Would you want some? how many in (4" pots) would you want? Or just some together in a bigger pot?

• clc70
    15 years ago

Kayakay, I would love some tiarella. Whatever amount you want to mess with, multiple in a pot would be fine. I'm going to be bringing some wild things as well. I have lots of stream violets (yellow), wild heuchera, fox glove as well as sword fern,and P. bleeding heart. Also 2 varieties purple violets and one variety lavender to white violets. I have one plant yet to identify. I suspect an heirloom plant that atracts butterflies as I found some in an heirloom butterfly garden on the Borst Homestead master garden plot. Perhaps I will bring it and hope someone can identify it at the swap. I also have lots of glass totems. If anyone is interested, I can bring some to trade for plants.

• fairycove
    15 years ago

Hi All, I used to be on here trading with you under the name of 'moonsaga' Perhaps you remember me? I've even hosted some trades down here west of PDX. I've driven to the plant trades years back in Olympia and Aberdeen.

...anyways.. Nice to see you. It's been awhile
    It is good to see friendly names on here yet still. I just lived in NC for a year and just returned/moved back to the west.

I would like to come to this trade if the timing works out...as i moved from my orig. 4ac garden and have lost so many plants through these last few years :(

Yesterday I discovered a couple Dozen little hellebore babies underneath in my garden. Does anybody know anything about transplanting so they're trade-able? how well do they handle? They have their first very sturdy lobed leaf that is probably 2-3 inches... I believe I originally got this hellebore from PNWJudy as a seedling perhaps 5yrs ago?

I have two plants that are reds, so I expect these to be beautiful babies : )

Look forward to saying hey to y'all.

AND, man do I need plants... all that heatloving stuff in NC .. I miss it. I left my canna :(

sure I will have more to bring too...

• jools42
    15 years ago

Hey Frani -- I'd love a few clumps of lamb's ears...my homeowners assoc. killed the ones I got last year with some chemical they dump on all the ditches around here. :(

I have a lacecap hydrangea but I don't know its name, something not out-of-the-ordinary; I can take some cuttings if you'd like an experiment. :) Otherwise I have a short list you can peruse; let me know!

• digdiva
    15 years ago

Kayakay, I have a small dogwood that I'm pretty sure is Cornus Kousa, would love to trade for deer fern..Dana

• catkin
    15 years ago

How cool to see people that attended the Spring Fling exchange at my home in Aberdeen so many years ago!

What year was that? LOL

Where are you living, moon?

Cindy

• alaskanamazon
    15 years ago

I'll be bringing a bunch of Jerusalem Artichoke/Sunchoke tubers, some hardy carnivorous plants, a Fosrythia, some Horehound plants, etc.

I have two 6' tall pine trees that I need to dig up. If I get them dug in time I will bring them as well.

• sedum_gal
    15 years ago

Hi Catkin!
    Your Spring Fling was in 2001, I believe---the first GW swap I ever attended.
    My car ran out of gas IN YOUR DRIVEWAY, and your darling husband grabbed some fuel intended for the lawnmower, and got me on the road.
    Sorry I won't be making the Oly trade (I'm going to Vegas on Thursday---woo Hoo!) but I'll try to make the next one...
    Hi, Moonsaga and MU! Happy gardening!

~Lisa

• franswindowbox
    15 years ago

Hey all:
    Its been a while sorry I've been working alot and in and out of town. I will be there Sat. thanx fro directions. I'm looking forward to it !!!
    Jools42 ~ i will have some Lambs ears for you.
    Kayakay~ I still have some autume crocus left, I'll bring you a spot (1 gal) of it. I would love some fern (deer) if you have any left, but any every green will do ?
    to recap I have the following down to bring
    Susan~Tiarella,lungwart
    Tammy~Autume crocus,lily of the valley
    Connie~Autome crocus,maybe? tiarella (small division)
    then the two mentioned above.
    Looking forward to seeing you all on Sat.
    Blessings~Frani

• kayakay
    15 years ago

franswindowbox, Yes, I will bring you deer fern for the autumn crocus. Thank you!

• clc70
    15 years ago

Hi Frani, yes autumn crocus and the tiarella would be wonderful. Hoping I will have something you will like in return. Please check (my page) as I have listed plants that I will be bringing there. Connie aka clc70.

• alaskanamazon
    15 years ago

What time is everyone planning to be there??

• bejoy_gw
    15 years ago

The trade starts at 10:00 in the morning. But some may be early..so we will be a bit early too.

• alaskanamazon
    15 years ago

Aww.. my husband just got called into work tomorrow so he needs the vehicle. I won't be able to make it.

I had a ton of Jerusalem Artichokes to bring too :-p along with everything else..

Oh well, if there is one in Sept I'll be there :-)

• catkin
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa! It was a fun time--you were loaded down with plants! LOL!

• readytogrow
    14 years ago

Anyone know of plans for an Olympia Spring Trade in 2010?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz