Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_the_random

WANTED: Info on Passionflower in Seattle

Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers as outdoor perennials around Seattle, Washington?

I'm interested in growing Maypops but I don't know if they can overwinter outdoors by themselves.

Comments (6)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

My neighbor grew one for several years on a trellis that partially enclosed his deck. It worked fine with very nice blooms, but no fruit. It started to pop up all over from the roots in the surrounding garden area and became a maintenance problem so he removed it. Took him several years to get it all.
    Mike

• kreemoweet
    9 years ago

I had P. incarnata for a while many years ago, grown from seed collected in Jacksonville, FL. It made nice bright-green foliage, but the flowers were few and rather insipid. The few fruits that matured had very sour pulp. It was difficult to keep it from spreading via an abundance of thick, pale rhizomes. I really can't recall whether I dug it up, or it eventually expired on its own.

I've had P. caerulea in my gardens for several decades. It's rather borderline in Seattle as far as the above-ground parts surviving the winter, which seems to be necessary for good flowering and fruiting. I've seen several quite large specimens in the warmer parts of Seattle, with woody stems several inches thick. My own plants flower and fruit well at least every third year. The flowers are magnificent, with a wonderful wintergreen-like aroma. The ripe fruits can be quite attractive, being bright orange, but they are frequently sullied by some sort of black mold/mildew. The fruit contains numerous seeds surrounded by a bright red pulp, which I find devoid of flavor.
    This vine will send up sprouts from the roots 8 feet or more away from the main stem(s), but they are easily plucked. It will also self-sow abundantly from the dropped fruit.

• DrBPhD
    9 years ago

In Vancouver British Columbia I have found that the plant is not truly winter hardy, and we have very mild winters. In fact it has not been even cold tolerant. Instead, I grow mine in a large pot and take it to the cellar or garage for the winter. It is now outdoors due to the early spring. Last years flowers were not profuse or exceptional

• composthappens
    9 years ago

In my experience they do not make friends with neighbors!!! My ill-mannered neighbor who does little to no maintenance on any items planted one. It was there for a good number of years though it has been gone now for a few I stillllllll get the joy of the POPS of her Maypop's babies up to 30 feet in my yard. I do often want to strangle her with the vines, but her a foul thing is now deceased...so sad. I will take pictures when the little joys return this year for you.

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

Incarnata often does well here, just plant the crown deeper than average, because is tender. 'Incense' should work here too.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES