Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thane_gw

wanted: have: mrs.furn. rhodie, camellia sasanq, 2 cotoneasters

thane
17 years ago

I have for trade:

* One Mrs. Furnival rhododendron, nice-looking plant about 4' tall with lovely blooms. Currently in the ground, I can dig or help dig if you like. Here's the plant in my yard this spring:

{{gwi:677156}}

* Camellia sasanquah hybrid. Blooms pink in November. Currently in a pot, about 2' by 2' and growing vigorously.

* Two cotoneasters of unknown type. One has berries, one doesn't. Both are in the ground, both are about 2' or 3'.

Wanted:

Pacific Northwest native shrubs and trees, specifically...

Ceanothus

Holodiscus discolor

Garrya elliptica

Oemleria cerasiformis

Ribes sanguineum

Tsuga heterophylla

Tsuga mertensiana

Vaccinium ovatum

Also interested in hummingbird perennials, screening shrubs, or feel free to make a suggestion or an offer.

Comments (10)

• greenelephant
    17 years ago

Very nice offerings.

Do you know about the Snohomish Conservation District Native Plant sale? Go to the page and scroll down to Plant Sale. The prices and offerings are about as good as you will find. The way it works. You place your order, they send you a confirmation. You send them a check. They send you a receipt. The pick-up is at the Monroe Fair grounds the first weekend in March.

You can choose to just show up and shop. They always have plants not on the order sheet in small quantities. Some are awesome. One year they had 10' white birches grown in pots for . . . $3 each!

This is a good time of year to try hardwood cuttings of cornus stolonifera (red-twig dogwoods) and philadelphius (mock orange) also quince cultivars. All you need to do is cut and stick in the ground and many will root. The quince is an early spring fave of hummers.

Consider bringing that camellia to the Spring Green Elephant Plant Swap in Redmond, first Saturday in March, 10 AM. About 100 people showed up for it last Nov in the pouring rain. You may be able to leverage it, and your other shrubs for some cool stuff.

Perhaps it's a bit premature, but the sun is shining (right now) and I've got spring fever!

Regards

Jim Eichner
    Green Elephant

Here is a link that might be useful: Snohomish Conservation District

• thane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GE, thanks for the link. That plant sale looks excellent indeed. And I do fully plan to attend the next plant swap. Also, thanks for the tip on the quince!

I'll add to my wanted list:
    Quince cultivars
    Mahonia x media 'Charity'
    Arbutus unedo

• plantknitter
    17 years ago

I layered some Vaccinium ovatum last spring, so I'm hoping I have some rooted branches this year, I'll keep you posted.
    I definitey have some small Tsuga heterophlylla potted up.
    I'll check for some Oemlaria and I may have a small Holodiscus.
    How about some native honeysuckle--Lonicera ciliosa? I have several potted up. And I have seed of Lonicera involucrata.
    One of these non rainy days when I am off, I will get around to potting up and sowing seed.
    Yikes, what a winter!
    I'd be interested in your Camellia sasanqua, if any/ some/all of these offerings are equal in trade.

Thanks
    PNWJudy

• thane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Judy, I sent you a message about your offer. I'm game if you're still interested.

Otherwise I will be taking the Camellia sasanqua and Mrs. Furnival to the Green Elephant swap. I might also dig up and bring a Purple Splendor rhododendron that I have.

My purple splendor rhodie in bloom.

• thane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Updated wanted list. (Suggestions welcome!)

*Shade perennials
    Tricyrtis sp.
    Primula: Any double-flowered
    Helleborus: Any dark purple or blue

* Natives
    Aruncus aethusifolius
    Aruncus dioicus
    Lonicera ciliosa
    Ceanothus
    Holodiscus discolor
    Oemleria cerasiformis
    Tsuga heterophylla
    Tsuga mertensiana

* Hummingbird plants
    Penstemon
    Salvia
    Aquilegia
    Stachys

• bejoy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi...Guess I am to late..your Camilla sure looked good. *G* However...I could dig up a couple smaller evergreen huckleberry bushes for you if the other offer doesn't go through. For now though...I am interesetd in that gorgeous Rhodie ...so if it isn't gone..and you are interested in a trade for some small Vaccinium ovatum I will be at the Green Elephant Plant Trade in March. Just let me know what a fair trade would be for you. I will be gone for a couple days but will be back online as soon as I am back.

• thane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, bejoy. Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard back from PNWJudy yet, so I'm not sure if the camellia is gone or not. However, I have removed the V. ovatum from my wanted list, as I have plenty of them now. (Found some cheap at a nursery, snapped them up.) Still looking for other PNW natives, shade perennials, and hummingbird plants, most specifically those on the updated list above, but suggestions are welcome.

• drtdgr
    17 years ago

Thane, I have a coupla of Indian Plums if you want them. They are from last year's Pierce County Native Plant sale and are blooming!

Nice sign of spring on this rainy day. I don't need anything in trade for them unless you have some large plastic pots (bigger than one gallon). Susan

• thane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan, thank you! I have some spare large plastic pots, and will bring them for you. I'll see you there!

• drtdgr
    17 years ago

You're welcome! Susan

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia