Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: have: mrs.furn. rhodie, camellia sasanq, 2 cotoneasters

Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 5, 07 at 16:47

I have for trade:
* One Mrs. Furnival rhododendron, nice-looking plant about 4' tall with lovely blooms. Currently in the ground, I can dig or help dig if you like. Here's the plant in my yard this spring:

* Camellia sasanquah hybrid. Blooms pink in November. Currently in a pot, about 2' by 2' and growing vigorously.

* Two cotoneasters of unknown type. One has berries, one doesn't. Both are in the ground, both are about 2' or 3'.

Wanted:
Pacific Northwest native shrubs and trees, specifically...
Ceanothus
Holodiscus discolor
Garrya elliptica
Oemleria cerasiformis
Ribes sanguineum
Tsuga heterophylla
Tsuga mertensiana
Vaccinium ovatum

Also interested in hummingbird perennials, screening shrubs, or feel free to make a suggestion or an offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: have: mrs.furn. rhodie, camellia sasanq, 2 cotoneast

Very nice offerings.

Do you know about the Snohomish Conservation District Native Plant sale? Go to the page and scroll down to Plant Sale. The prices and offerings are about as good as you will find. The way it works. You place your order, they send you a confirmation. You send them a check. They send you a receipt. The pick-up is at the Monroe Fair grounds the first weekend in March.

You can choose to just show up and shop. They always have plants not on the order sheet in small quantities. Some are awesome. One year they had 10' white birches grown in pots for . . . $3 each!

This is a good time of year to try hardwood cuttings of cornus stolonifera (red-twig dogwoods) and philadelphius (mock orange) also quince cultivars. All you need to do is cut and stick in the ground and many will root. The quince is an early spring fave of hummers.

Consider bringing that camellia to the Spring Green Elephant Plant Swap in Redmond, first Saturday in March, 10 AM. About 100 people showed up for it last Nov in the pouring rain. You may be able to leverage it, and your other shrubs for some cool stuff.

Perhaps it's a bit premature, but the sun is shining (right now) and I've got spring fever!

Regards

Jim Eichner
Green Elephant

Here is a link that might be useful: Snohomish Conservation District

o

• Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 13:38

GE, thanks for the link. That plant sale looks excellent indeed. And I do fully plan to attend the next plant swap. Also, thanks for the tip on the quince!

I'll add to my wanted list:
Quince cultivars
Mahonia x media 'Charity'
Arbutus unedo

o

I layered some Vaccinium ovatum last spring, so I'm hoping I have some rooted branches this year, I'll keep you posted.
I definitey have some small Tsuga heterophlylla potted up.
I'll check for some Oemlaria and I may have a small Holodiscus.
How about some native honeysuckle--Lonicera ciliosa? I have several potted up. And I have seed of Lonicera involucrata.
One of these non rainy days when I am off, I will get around to potting up and sowing seed.
Yikes, what a winter!
I'd be interested in your Camellia sasanqua, if any/ some/all of these offerings are equal in trade.

Thanks
PNWJudy

o

Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 18:30

Judy, I sent you a message about your offer. I'm game if you're still interested.

Otherwise I will be taking the Camellia sasanqua and Mrs. Furnival to the Green Elephant swap. I might also dig up and bring a Purple Splendor rhododendron that I have.

My purple splendor rhodie in bloom.

o
Updated wanted list

Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 18:37

Updated wanted list. (Suggestions welcome!)

*Shade perennials
Tricyrtis sp.
Primula: Any double-flowered
Helleborus: Any dark purple or blue

* Natives
Aruncus aethusifolius
Aruncus dioicus
Lonicera ciliosa
Ceanothus
Holodiscus discolor
Oemleria cerasiformis
Tsuga heterophylla
Tsuga mertensiana

* Hummingbird plants
Penstemon
Salvia
Aquilegia
Stachys

o

Hi...Guess I am to late..your Camilla sure looked good. *G* However...I could dig up a couple smaller evergreen huckleberry bushes for you if the other offer doesn't go through. For now though...I am interesetd in that gorgeous Rhodie ...so if it isn't gone..and you are interested in a trade for some small Vaccinium ovatum I will be at the Green Elephant Plant Trade in March. Just let me know what a fair trade would be for you. I will be gone for a couple days but will be back online as soon as I am back.

o

Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 11:34

Hi, bejoy. Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard back from PNWJudy yet, so I'm not sure if the camellia is gone or not. However, I have removed the V. ovatum from my wanted list, as I have plenty of them now. (Found some cheap at a nursery, snapped them up.) Still looking for other PNW natives, shade perennials, and hummingbird plants, most specifically those on the updated list above, but suggestions are welcome.

o

• Posted by drtdgr z8PNWTacoma (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 15:46

Thane, I have a coupla of Indian Plums if you want them. They are from last year's Pierce County Native Plant sale and are blooming!

Nice sign of spring on this rainy day. I don't need anything in trade for them unless you have some large plastic pots (bigger than one gallon). Susan

o

Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 16:22

Susan, thank you! I have some spare large plastic pots, and will bring them for you. I'll see you there!

o

• Posted by drtdgr z8PNWTacoma (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 19:37

You're welcome! Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here