Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firevicar

HAVE: Green Elephant Plant Swap First Saturday in March.

firevicar
19 years ago

The Spring Eastside Green Elephant Plant Swap is the place to trade the bounty of your gardens. The first swap of the spring coincides with early spring garden work, dividing perennials with no shock of transplanting.

We average 30 traders and you can expect to see 100 different species/cultivars to haggle over.

Full instructions and directions are posted on My Page

Please tell your friends. Everyone is invited.

FireVicar

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

Comments (92)

• Randy Ritchie
    19 years ago

Hi all,

I really want to meet the local gardeners in my new home state. Since I just moved here from Savannah, GA, I was unable to bring any plants with me.

I do have something that maybe would be of interest to some people, enough to share with several people. I must dispose of my peacock feathers due to allergy to the proteins in all things bird. Used to raise peacocks and have many tail feathers. They look stunning in a tall flower vase; most have eyes. These are the pricey, very long tail feathers. If there's interest in these, I can bring them for the swap and maybe trade for some plants.

girlsaylor

• Poochella
    19 years ago

I am going to try to come for a short time. It will be great to meet people in person!

Fire Vicar, I emailed you about possible trades.

Bejoy- I would be interested in your Nora Barlow plant if it remains, and Crocosmia Lucifer. Let me know what color and how "big and showy" you like dahlias and I'll get a list together of tubers I have for trades. I also have a very deep rust with scant yellow unnamed daylily you might like.

Veeja: I will gather up your dahlia tubers and bring them.

Christine R. I will bring your tubers too and email you to confirm your choices from last Fall.

I will also pot up some perennials for newcomers- welcome to the great state of Washington- that may include Rudbeckia, monarda in scarlet ( excellent for hummingbirds,) dark and light lavender asters, maybe shasta daisies. Whatever I have time for between today and Friday.

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

My plan is to be there, but I have come down with a rather nasty chest cold complete with fever. So provided I get to feeling better by Saturday I will be there.
    Trade List:
    Foxglove mixed colors
    Obedient Plant (purple)
    Wht Calla Lily
    Moon Vine (Alba)
    Vinca Minor (Periwinkle)groundcover
    Creeping Jenny groundcover
    Lamium Yellow Arch Angel groundcover
    Wht Pampas Grass
    Unamed mixed color iris
    Persian Cornflower (purple)

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not sure I can deliver on alstroemeria. I've been working in the garden and have covered them with mulch, which I do not want to disturb now.

I do have the yellow foxglove, and other things mentioned. I will bring as many of everything as I can and just hope for the best at the swap.

Thanks,

Jim

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

Oh okay Jim I understand.
    I'm also interested in:
    Phlox paniculata - garden phlox, Hot Pink
    Phlox paniculata - garden phlox, light lavender blue
    Plantago major 'atropurpurea' - Purple leaf plantain

I know I have more to bring than what I listed earlier, but I just can't think clearly today....dang fever!
    Hope to see you and everyone else on Saturday.

Marc
    RikerBear

• seattlesuze
    19 years ago

This will be my first Green Elephant and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

To trade:

White foxglove
    4 Phalaris "Dwarf Garters"
    Black Mondo Grass
    Nigella
    Aloe
    Spider plants
    Primroses Âvulgaris (English)
    Chamomile
    White dahlia tubers
    5-ft Ranier cherry tree*
    8-ft 5-yr old Jonagold apple tree*

*Trees are for pickup from Renton

Want:

Blue lupine
    Blue columbine
    Dark blue delphinium (no white 'eye')
    Spirea
    Stachyurus
    Euonymus
    Hebes and pseudohebes
    Monarda ÂBlue StockingÂ
    Reseda odorata Mignonette
    Poet's Jasmine (J. officinale)

RikerBear, hope you're feeling better.

See you Saturday,
    Sue

• Rosalynde
    19 years ago

Sorry everyone, my trade list seems to have gotten deleted from gardenweb. I don't have time to rebuild it now. I'll bring the cyclamen and do on the spot trading. I have 6 baby corms. So far 3 are reserved (Jim, Patrick, and Sangeeta). I'll bring the sunchokes for anyone, and maybe some sunchoke soup so you can see how delicious it is!

I am always looking for plants that bloom in the shade or part shade (trilliums, primroses etc)

I have the same chest cold that everyone has gotten recently, but am past the contagious stage now.
    See you all there.
    Lynda

• Rosalynde
    19 years ago

I also have redworms for worm bins, or for fishing! Bumper crop. Does anyone want some?
    Lynda

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Riker, I can bring you a division of my thalictrum if you like plmk

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

Oh yes please! Anything I can bring you veeja11?

Marc

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

Feeling almost back to normal today, so will indeed be at the swap/trade on Saturday.
    All of you who emailed me regarding specific trades I have answered your emails.....if I missed anyone please contact me again and we can firm up what you want and what you might have that I just can't live without. :-)

Marc

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Riker,I will bring your plant no need to trade, I owe you.
    see ya there Little leaky, anything I can bring you ?

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Veeja,
    I would love to have a start of your thalictrum. I will bring all dahlias you wanted and more!
    Lots of work to do to get ready- if I have time I'm bringing my healthy whole wheat chocolate chip cookies for breakfast and quick fast-track trading calories for all.
    Poochella

• blameitontherain
    19 years ago

Hi.

I'd love to come and meet some new gardening peeps, but really do not have much of anything to trade. Much of what was planted before I moved in seems to be fairly ordinary --nothing wrong with that, mind you, but am not sure how interested anyone would be in sedum Autumn Joy, plain ol' orange daylilies, etc. Should be able to bring Patrick888 some pony paks and perhaps 5 gal. pots, and could bake something gooey, too, but likely my trading will not be forthcoming until next year. Can I come??

Rain

• blameitontherain
    19 years ago

Oops! I followed the link to the swap page and now I feel like a sycophant. Have goodies, will travel. Question: When does it begin and end?

Thanks,

Rain

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

Yes indeed Rain your welcome to come. In past trades/swaps I've attended many people come with little or no plant material to trade....doesn't mean you can't come.
    Oh and you would be surprised who all would be thrilled to get you 'orange daylilies' and 'Autumn Joy' sedum. last year I brought 4 fair sized clumps (multiple fans) of 'Ditch Lily' and they were the first thing of mine to get snatched up.

RikerBear
    Marc

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Blame it on the Rain: I'm bringing Autumn Joy and plain old dark orange daylilies- we can trade and end up none the worse for wear!

10a.m.- noon is when I am going to be there.

Fire Vicar, you never replied to my email so I can't send you an invite to my dahlia albums in case you wanted waterlily types. We can go over that later, if you're interested. Plenty of time til planting. I haven't even got to my dahlia sorting yet, still digging and labelling perennials.....
    Gotta run,
    I'll see you gardeners tomorrow.
    Poochella/Annie

• bluefleur
    19 years ago

Jim, I'll trade you some small Iris foetidissima for a rooted peach brugsmania. I think they're Gladwin iris but am not sure. They have insignificant small brown flowers and lovely orange seeds. thanks, Jean (bluefleur)

• sweetflowers
    19 years ago

Rain,

I would love to have some of your orange daylilies. Check my trade list and see if you like for something.
    Last year was my first year at the trade and I had very few things that I brought but enjoyed the experience.
    See you at the trade.

Sangeeta

• Rosalynde
    19 years ago

Heirloom fingerling potatoes and heirloom egyptian walking (topsetting) onions for trade. Let me know ASAP if anyone wants them so I can pot up the onions.
    Lynda

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    19 years ago

I am still building my garden (will be my first spring in my new house!!). So any cast offs or extras will be greatly appreciated. I will be bringing food goodies. Thanks,
    Susan
    Nightnurse1968

• sweetflowers
    19 years ago

Lynda,

Let me know what you would like in return. I would like to have both.

Thanks,
    Sangeeta

• treepalm
    19 years ago

I'm bringing extra deer fern, penstemons, red bee balm, dahlia Prince Valiant(white w/wine streaks), orange daylilies, and maybe a few roses(pink and red-I don't remember which is which). Newbies, just let me know if you want me to put your name on anything.
    Teresa

• seattlesuze
    19 years ago

Teresa,
    Would love penstemons if you still have. Check out my list above to see if there's anything you'd like.

Linda, what would you like from my list for the fingerling potatoes? Let me know if something can be worked out!

Sue

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Sue, don't worry about a trade. I'll put your name on one.
    Teresa

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Rosalynde, have you tried crossing your walking onions with walla walla's ?

• cfrizz
    19 years ago

Teresa: Would love some Bee Balm.

Since I just moved out here 2 months ago I have no plants to share but I did make up packets of seed last night I had harvested from my old garden. I have a few packets each of:

Tall Snapdragons (multi color)
    Foxgloves (lav. and white)
    Cleome (Spider flower - Lav., pink and white)
    Per. Sweet Pea (pink and white)
    Bronze Fennel
    Joe Pye Weed
    Maybe a few more things....

If anyone is interested I'll write your name on a baggie!

Can't wait!

Cathie

Here is a link that might be useful: Former garden....

• Rosalynde
    19 years ago

I haven't tried crossing the egyptian onions with walla wallas. They don't make large bulbs, just small topsetting shallot-like bulbs. They also are good as a green onion most of the year. I potted up 5. One reserved for Teresa, one for Sangeeta. Tersea, I'll take a penstemon in trade. Sangeeta, I'll take a provence lavender (or other lavender) in trade. Sue, I'm not sure what you have, but I can always take more primroses in trade for the fingerling potatoes.

I also potted up garden sorrel (2 pots), mache (annual gourmet salad green), creeping charlie, white "love in a puff" (annual), lambs ears, and perennial oriental poppies for trading tomorrow. I'm bringing several friends from our neighborhood garden club. See you all tomorrow!
    Lynda

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Cathie and Lynda, I have you down for the plants you asked for.
    Teresa

• nikki_nw
    19 years ago

lynda, I don't have any plants to trade for the egyptian onions. I did grow some when I was in NV and have thought about growing them here, if home made cookies is a fair swap for you I would love to trade. thanks nikki

• Gunnar's Mom
    19 years ago

Haven't logged on in months, only to find out the Green Elephant is
    tomorrow!!

FireVicar, if you read this by a.m.--I have Acanthus Mollis I will dig up to trade for some skunk cabbage seedlings or alstroemeria

To any and all, I also have:

• Dahlia, white cactus tubers

• Acanthus spinosus, seed heads

• Taro tubers, ordinary green elephant ears

• Rudbeckia

See you all soon,
    Janine (AuNatural)

• Gunnar's Mom
    19 years ago

FireVicar,
    Yeah, me again--I can bring you some Hippeastrum Papilio Butterfly Amaryllis as well.

-J

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Janine,
    I would love more elephant ears! Is there anything I can get for you?
    Teresa

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Cfrizz, Cathie,
    I will bring some scarlet/pink beelbalm for you in trade for some snaps seeds and or Joe Pye weed. Will have a few extra perennials for newcomers too. Wish I had more time to dig-
    Poochella

• sweetflowers
    19 years ago

Janine,
    I am interested in Mollis breech if you have more, anything on my trade list that you would like.
    Sangeeta

• Gunnar's Mom
    19 years ago

Hi again,
    Tereasa--I'll take some deer fern for the taro if you have any left.
    Sangeeta--Hi there. I hope the bamboo survived. I'll get you some acanthus as well.
    See you soon.
    -Janine

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Janine,
    I will put your name on them!
    Teresa

• albabela
    19 years ago

Just had to thank every one for another wondeful trade! Came home with lots of goodies, now I just have to get them in the ground!
    -Shilpa

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Me too- thanks for a fun event. It's just a joy to see so many avid gardeners swapping away and it's fun to meet people in person. I am tickled pink with the goodies I got and hope people enjoy the things they got from me as well.

I will be coming back to this swap for certain. I got all my plants given away and got home with all but one of my cookies! What a great day. You CAN get new plants and eat your cookies too....
    Annie

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I had a great time also, LL you were younger than I thought.
    Thankyou to the ladies who kept my dh full of cookies. He had fun also, can't wait to get my new goodies in the ground. thankyou all.

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

I'd also like to thank everyone for tier generousity today. I recieved some wondeful things today....things that had been on my 'wish list' for quite some time. I hope you all are pleased with the things you got from me.
    I just finished getting all my new babies into their new homes. And now it's hot tub time (my back hurts) :-)

RikerBear
    Marc

• kendal
    19 years ago

I wish I had more time to stick around, but we wanted to get up to Cougar Mountan before it got to busy. Thanks to Jim for the wonderful bamboo, its beautiful *G* I sat the bag up to fill with water and saw a little 1/2" new culm coming up, so tomorrow I'll plant the two clumps.

Thnks to Teresa for the ferns, and Shilpa for the day lillies. As my trees and bamboo grows up taller, and I get more shade I'll have lots of sun loving plants to trade as time goes by.

Kendal
    *we made it up to the falls in good time, and got out just as a rush of people with their kids started up*

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful plants! It was a great trade, as usual. I had to leave early, so I didn't get to visit as much as I would have liked with all of you. Thanks Jim for hosting!
    Teresa

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Serendipity:

A radiant spring day.
    The good company of avid gardners (we're a misunderstood lot.)
    New plants for the garden.
    We made the newspaper.
    Everything is in the ground.
    And today the hummingbirds arrived at the feeder.

A million thanks,

Jim

• heatherisnotaweed
    19 years ago

I had a lovely time, and feel quite rich with my garden gifts and new friends made. Thank you all!

Heather

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    19 years ago

Many Many thanks to everyone is all I can say. I came home with so many wonderful things and met some very friendly people. My garden is really filling out and I look forward to the day I can share from it. Half of everything is in the ground. My inlaws have come for their first visit since I was married in the fall, so we had to stop when they arrived. Maybe the rest will get in before the weekend is out! A special thank you to Jim for being the organizer and providing the location.

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I would like to thank the person who gave my dh the baggie of cookies, when younger I might have been jealous, but thanks to you he stayed whole swap without complaining and when we got home and I was bringing my plant loot into the yard, he looked so cute with his little bag of cookies. thankyou. he loves your cookies. carol

• nikki_nw
    19 years ago

thank you, thank you. that was so much fun, my two girls didn't even want to leave. what a great time we had. The black bamboo is wonderful addition to our new yard, it has set the stage for everything else to follow. I am still smiling over it's beauty!! you are welcome to anything in my yard except "THE BLACK BEAUTY". just let me know. and thanks again for all the other beautiful gifts.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Veeja, you thought I'd be old??? NEVER! Middle age = my age +10 years, which is going to be tough to explain at age 80, but I will try if I get there.

Nikki of all the wonderful things I saw at the swap, I am most envious of that gorgeous black bamboo- very stunning.

I have yet to get my Indian Plums, dogwood and mock orange located in the yard, then all my goods will be planted.
    Thanks again to all, and to Jim for organizing.
    Poochella

• sweetflowers
    19 years ago

This was my second swap at Green elephant and I enjoyed it very much. Thank you Jim for oraganizing this and encouraging me to come to the swap the first time when I barely had any plants to share.
    I was pleased with my all my trades.
    Thank you Janine for the Acanthus- I have been looking for it for sometime. I didn't realize it was you. Yes the bamboos are doing great!!!

Sangeeta

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County