Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: wanted: any kind of chamomile

Posted by thecitychicken SW Washington (thecitychicken@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Feb 2, 08 at 0:20

I've been reading about medicinal herbs lately and want to try adding chamomile to my garden. I live in Yacolt, WA, 50 min. N. of Portland. Is this easy to grow from seed? What's a good variety for culinary uses? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: wanted: any kind of chamomile

It is easy to grow from seed as i usually have some that self seed. I grow german chamomile and have saved the flowers, in order to make tea, and have yet to try it! :) it's a great flower too, so I keep it around.

o

I have tons of German Chamomile to share with anyone - anytime you are in the Portland area. The flowers and leaves are nicer than other varieties, IMO.

Just call me before dropping by: 503-289-8961 - when in NE near MLK/Dekum. It's a great plant, hardy, works in shade, pots, or sun. The Doris Day of my garden, perhaps. Blooms for MONTHS, returns after cutting back, and is a natural re-seeder. Easy to identify and yank (or move) any you don't want. All in all, an under-rated, great plant, IMO.

I'd appreciate tips on how to cook with any part of the palnt, and specific instructions on making tea...dry or fresh & which parts? Does anyone use the plant in soups or salads?

Since it has chosen my garden - wouldn't be cool if it was the tasty anti-allergy, anti-aging antidote of my dreams? (Heck, I'd settle for an approximation of HOPS for Brewing. Might try it!)

o

From stuff I've read on the 'net, it's easy to make into tea. And if you drink it, you will stay 18 forever!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here