Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green4life

WANTED: any portland swappers?

green4life
19 years ago

I am starting on getting my garden together for the year and was wondering if there were any local gardeners who wanted to meet and swap in the portland area (I live in North). I have a variety of plants to share and am really looking for some nice herbs (especially ones for teas!) Thanks!

amy

Comments (14)

• KinTheGardenGuy
    19 years ago

Hi Amy, Oldherb usually has a plant swap later in spring. I have heard it's excellent. I have not been able to attend due to my schedule but hopefully this year. Kin

• duane456
    19 years ago

Amy, I winter sow many things and will probably end up with too many. I'd love to swap around May sometime. Keep me posted.
    Duane

• flowerstreet
    19 years ago

I am in pdx and interested in plant trades- I have wintersown a lot of things, a swap later in the spring would be great. I also have a dozen varieties of old garden roses that I am attempting to root. First try at it, hopefully some will make it!

• Daveena
    19 years ago

I would love to swap, although I don't have a ton of stuff to share since I'm starting a garden. I do have lots of siberian Irises. I'm particularly interested in hellbores, euphorbias, ground covers, and perennial flowers. Let me know if you decide to have a swap. I went to OldHerb's in the fall and it was great.

• wetearth
    19 years ago

I'd also love to swap. I went to the last swap and it was great! I have a fair number of ornamental grasses that have "volunteered" throughout my garden. I'll keep checking for a date!

• acheck_wa
    19 years ago

I would be interested in a swap. I donÂt have a lot to offer but I do have a few odds and ends around. I'll keep an eye out for a date and location.

• green4life
    Original Author
    19 years ago

wow, I think my post came off a tad bit confusing. I am not able to organize an actual plant swap at my home - though if someone else did plan one in Portland, I would definitely attend. I was just asking about in-person trades around the area...like a garden visit and plant swap on a more intimate level.

Sorry, but having a day job, being a professional artist, and trying to volunteer for more than I can already manage keeps me from planning a big swap. :(

• mkirkwag
    19 years ago

Look for zephrineD. She's in your area and does great swaps! Here, I'll give her page:
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/ZephirineD

• neonkat
    19 years ago

Hi Amy - I'm actually hosting a plant-swap on Sunday March 13, 10am-2pm, 3522 SE 8th Ave (3 blks So. of Powell). I went to Old Herbs Plant Swap last year (which was great)and thought it would be fun to try and organize one for those of us closer in. Anyways, I've put notices in a couple neighborhood newspapers and will have one in the Oregonians events calendar(It's advertised as the "1st Annual Brooklyn Neighborhood Plant Swap." As everyone knows, the more who participate the more selection for everyone. Come on down!

Brand spankin' new to gardenweb. So glad I found it. Kat

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

Way to go, KAT!

I'm doing a couple of 1-1 garden visit/Swaps a week now - and can really use more seed starting/potting medium, peat or perlite - if you just want seed or plants, and have nada that's growing - that works for me - I have hundreds os seed options and can get you growing! Come now - as my fragrant daphne woos and cat bear cuttings, and a mature magnolia is starting to bloom.

Incentive: I'll provide tea, herbs or craft brew for those who bring me seed-medium or a bag of jiffy tray/or pellet bag!

Oh, I recently dug 3 huge clumps - so have ruffly pink heritage Peony tubers to share - if you are patient - these could really be stunning...and may grow for decades.

See my Swap List for a sample of other stuff.

Many more unlisted flower & veggie seed packs ready now to split for immediate WS & Spring planting.

Everyone - please remember to use greywater outdoors for planters, 1-2x weekly watering of beds, & prepare to mulch this season - as we could have water restrictions and scorching sun.

LOVE this February weather though!

Julie, in NE Portland
    503-289-8961

• prettysic
    19 years ago

It looks as if i'm a little to late for the March 13th plant swap. I was wondering if anyone knew of any others in the Portland area in the coming months. I feel like I always read about these wonderful events after the fact.

Any help would be great

Andy

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

I noticed a note on the Chalkboard at Pistils Nursery (during the last Swap March 26th) that they have another sceduled for May 1. I'll probably be there by 3...and am happy to prearrange gifts - so please look at my list link in case your new stuff is lurking there.

Also - see the freidns of Trees WebSite if you want free fruit trees (a donation is appreciated) They'll give more away at an Arbor Day event soon.

Send me an email with your email address,
    if you'd like an invitation
    to join my occaisional newslist,
    called CheapoGazetteNW.

I don't let Spammers get any action there,
    and it includes garden events along with other kinds of freebies. The Calendar will have Plant Swap notices too.

pdxJules

• pdxjules
    18 years ago

Ok - I've sent messages to all above -
    but if you are just seeing this - this is for YOU!

For THIS Sunday - May 1 1-6 PM:
    we do have the large lot (with Shade)
    for a Plant Swap THIS Sunday afternoon -
    next to Pistils Nursery on North Mississippi.

Please use Alley just behind for Unloading.
    Plenty of space for Tables, carts, displays.

Plant starts, cuttings welcome.

I'm bringing Daphne Odorata cuttings, and Rhodie and heirloom Rose cuttings too, probably. Want a rootable Magnolia cutting? I have a small FIG, and Cherry that are already rooted, if someone speaks up in advance.

They also host free Workshops - on the roof.

I send group alerts about Plant Swaps when I find them - you can get on this list at groups.yahoo.com - and Join CheapoGazetteNW. Don't worry about Spam -
    doesn't get past me.

If you can come Sunday - see if there is anything on my GardenWeb Exchange list & let me know what you'd like.

pdxJules
    503-289-8961

• pdxjules
    18 years ago

Yike last Minute notice - but just saw this for tomorrow, May 14th! . Am posting it here in case any of you have replies sent directly to your mailbox. ALERT THE TROOPS! LOL!

Community Plant exchange:
    10 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 14th.
    Milwaukie Covenant Church, 12201 SE Linwood Ave.
    A couple of Speakers will be at this one...

I'm not planning to go unless someone wants to carpool
    from NE, or SE or central Portland,
    meeting along 39th.

Lots of stuff to share however!

pdxJules