Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelephant_gw

HAVE: Green Elephant Trade List

greenelephant
17 years ago

I will trade anything on my list for dahlias to benefit the Hmong Flower Farmers of the Snoqualmie Valley.

This year I bougth plant labels. I will tag and hold all pre-arranged trades for you at the Green Elephant.

Bamboo  12", evergreen foliage for containers, vigorous runner for erosion control

Blue Bells  Campanula native to PNW

Bronze leaved loostrife (not purple loostrife the weed) 18" color foliage plant

Brugmansia  foot-long cuttings of Pink and Charles Grimaldi (yellow)

Chinese Lanterns  Physalis alkengii, dried orange paper lanterns in fall.

Common milkweed  Asclepias syriaca, 5 perennial, lilac fragrant flower balls followed by seed pods for dried arrangements.

Crazy Daisy  shredded flower form of the Shasta Daisy

Crocosmia  orange flowered

Garden phlox in hot pink, lavender, & white

Gooseneck Loostrife, Lysimachia clethroides 28" gracefully arched flower stalks

Helianthus x multiflorus ÂLemon QueenÂ, clear yellow perennial sunflower 5Â

Helianthus occidentalis  Western sunflower 6 late fall yellow perennial sunflower

Heliopsis  4" prairie perennial, yellow ox-eye daisy

Mouse Plant  Asarum proboscidium  4" moist shade, very early, secret "mouse" flowers beneath leaves.

Oenethera biennis  4 evening primrose, fragrant 4" yellow flower snap open in minutes at dusk.

Rogersia aesculifolium  large leaved moist shade 18"

Solidago multiradiata  showy 4 goldenrod, non-invasive

Trees in pots:. This time I promise to tag each personÂs trees ahead of time and hold them for the designated traders. I lost track of the trees at the last swap. Teresa; Judy, I owe you trees. Please send me an email jim(dot)Eichner(at)juno(dot)com if I owe you trees from last fall. I have two shore pines and two mountain ash on hold for someone.

Cornelian Cherry  Cornus mas, actually a species of dogwood with edible fruit

Giant Dogwood  Cornus controversa

Little Leaf Linden

Pussy willow  black catkins

Comments (25)

• chrisrobt
    17 years ago

Jim, we will be donating dahlia tubers directly to the Hmong farmers; that said, will you have anything to trade for either dahlias for your self, or just free trades??? I'd be interested in your Crazy daisy, both Helianthus, Oenethera and Rogersia.

Also, I'm told they only want tubers through March, and I can't give away all my stock until I know what I need-which is probably in April.

Christine

• treepalm
    17 years ago

Jim,
    I'm not going to be able to make the GE this spring. Darn!!
    Teresa

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Crazy daisy,
    Helianthus
    Oenethera
    Rogersia.

For Chrisrobt. I'd love a selection of dahlias, tall cut-flower types with clear colors.

I realized I have a third perenial sunflower, helianthus x multiflorus 'flore pleno, which I'll bring to the swap too.

-------------
    The following are plants I owe from last fall:
    For Ruth1:

Corunus controversa - Giant Dogwood
    Cotoneaster franchetii orange cotoneaster
    Pinus contorta - Shore Pine
    Styrax japonicus Japanese Snowbell
    Sorbus americana Mountain Ash
    Tilia cordata Little Leaf Linden
    ----------

For Plantknitter I intend to bring

Tilia
    Cornus controversa
    shore pine

----------------

For Threekittygarden I am bringing

Helianthus x multiflorus 'flore-pleno'

-----------------

For drtdgr:

cotoneaster
    H. occidentalis
    H. flore pleno
    --------------
    For Jaqueline:

Hosta 'sum & substance'

• grrrnthumb
    17 years ago

I'll be bringing a lot of plants hopefully, I'll know more later this month exactly what I can bring. I'll also have a big box of seeds if anyone is interested. Here's a sampling of what's in it:

Seeds -
    Delphinium, tall purple
    Aconitum, monk's hood dark blue
    Gunnera manicata, special trades only.
    Cobea scandens, Cup and saucer vine
    Phaseolus coccineu, Scarlet runner bean
    Datura, several varieties; white, double/triple purple, lavender, & some species.
    Morning Glories; many, many different kinds including rare japanese named varieties.
    Poppy double red, pink opium poppy
    Coneflowers; several varieties.
    Nicotiana langsdorffii, Green flowering tobacco
    Hollyhocks; 15-20 varieties
    Pandorea vine, Pandorea jasminoides

We just got an anniversary present from my sisters: Flower & Garden Show tickets plus a night's stay down there! Y'all better be going. :)

- Tom

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Tom, Grrrnthumb,

Please save me a few seeds of each of the Daturas. Looking forward to your full trade list list.

The 'Satomi' dogwood you gave me last spring at the Green Elephant is thriving, has grown 18", and was covered with gorgeous pink flowers for 7 weeks last summer. Perhaps the best plant I've ever come home with from an exchange.

Jim.

• grrrnthumb
    17 years ago

Wow that's great Jim, glad it's growing good. I've got tons of different Datura seed if anyone else wants some. I'll bring my box of extra little seed envelopes.

Also, if anyone requests them I can do cuttings of these:
    evergreen clematis
    variegated euonymus
    pink & purple hydrangeas
    butterfly bush purple & yellow
    pink & yellow christmas cactus
    purple & red easter cactus
    purple wandering jew

• threekittygarden
    17 years ago

To grrrnthumb,
    Please share me with the following cuttings, purple wandering jew; purple and red easter cactus; yellow christmas cactus; and phaseolus coccineu, scarlet runner bean. What can I bring you? I have cape fuchsia "moonraker" light yellow and another cape fuchsia " magenta " in color. I could bring you cuttings from those if you want.
    Thank you
    Tita

• sweetflowers
    17 years ago

Hi Jim,

I would be interested in the following from your list:

1. Green bamboo
    2. Brugmansia- both pink and yellow
    3. Chinese Lantern
    4. Crazy daisy.

I am in the process of getting my list together. Let me know if something interests you.

Thanks,
    Sangeeta

• threekittygarden
    17 years ago

Jim,
    Please share two cuttings of Charles Grimaldi brugmansia. I will bring you dahlia tubers in exchange.
    The pink brugmansia you gave me last year is fine and still in my garage, when can I get some cuttings from it?
    Thank you
    Tita

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Tita - Threekittygarden,

The time to make your brugmansia cuttings is about mid April. You don't want to start them too early and then you have to manage them while waiting for the weather to warm up. If you have a warm sunny window with room to start them anytime. But this little warm spell is just a teaser. I usually put mine in the ground about the first week in May. Then I make the cuttings, just like the ones I gave you last spring. They root in no time, and with good conditons will grow to blooming size before frost.

I will bring several brug sticks to the swap.

Jim

• jburesh1388
    17 years ago

Yeah! I'm on the list. :) I can't wait to see my hosta garden again, and I'm sure the sum and substance will look fantastic.

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

To threekittygarden,

How about some fuchsia cuttings?

Jim

• grrrnthumb
    17 years ago

Tita Threekitty,
    Yes I can bring you most of those cuttings & seeds. I also don't know if I was clear that the easter cactus cuttings red & purple are separate plants. :)
    I actually already have those cape fuscias, so I'm good there, but do you have anything else you can bring?
    - Tom

• threekittygarden
    17 years ago

To Jim,
    I will bring you dahlias, cuttings from cape fuchsia " moonraker" and cape fuchsia "magenta"

To Tom,
    I looked in your wants list and unfortunately I don't have have you want. I will think of anything unusual but right now everything is common to me.
    Tita

• grrrnthumb
    17 years ago

We also like just regular perennials Tita, but it's ok if you don't have any. I'll still bring you some good stuff. :)

• plantknitter
    17 years ago

I've never had dahlias except for a couple dark foliaged ones and they are in the ground year round.

Do they need other plants besides Dahlias?

I could go out and buy some dahlias, but what would be the best kind?

Thanks for remembering the trees, Jim.

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Plantknitter,

1) How many of each kind of tree do you want?

2) RE: dahlias: no need to buy or bring dahlias for the swap. I know that you always bring many interesting things, especially the saxifrages.

3) The Hmong farmers do raise other perennials. I asked Bee Cha, of the Cooperative Extension Service if they needed other plants. He said it's only dahlias that were destroyed. Bee will attend the Green Elephant. We can get an update from him then.

Regards,

Jim

• ruth1
    17 years ago

Jim,

I really want those trees, but don't know if I'll be able to make it to this trade. Any chance you could bring them here?

Also, I am looking at this point to trade my plants for help with my garden. I don't have as much time as I'd like to care for it, and have tons of cool plants I could give away for anyone willing to help out.

Ruth

• born2raisehellebores
    17 years ago

Jim, I'll be bringing a few pots of dahlia tubers. You are welcome to them all for the Hmong farmers. Plants that are up to 2' and flower in blue, orange or yellow would be welcome in exchange, but not necessary.

Wanda

• michelelee
    17 years ago

Jim I would love a pink Brug cutting. Mine died. Will be updating my list. have your seeds.

• drtdgr
    17 years ago

Jim, I will be attending the Green Elephant this March. I would be interested in a cutting of both the pink and yellow brugs. I will be bringing a bag of dahlias from Costco. Thanks, Susan

• julearosa
    17 years ago

I am interested in your brugmansias (both colors), then your milkweed, heliopsis and rogersia. All iI have that you may like right now is cerinthe major.
    Thanks!

• lotta_plants
    17 years ago

Tom do you have any of the mouse plants left. Also a brug charles grimaldi if you still have any. My list is on another thred. Allison

• grrrnthumb
    17 years ago

Allison I don't know about mouse plants. Is that another name for a plant I listed?
    - Tom

• drtdgr
    17 years ago

Allison, Jim has mouse plant (ginger). Susan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH