Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelhead215

WANTED: Olympia Spring 2014 Plant Trade?

steelhead215
10 years ago

I've been watching for postings for the Oly Spring Plant Trade, but haven't seen any. Have I missed it, or hasn't it been scheduled yet?

Comments (26)

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

I could secure a spot right off I-5 in Tumwater (just a mile or so south of Oly), but hadn't gotten around to asking! Are there folks interested in a trade on Saturday, May 3rd?

• jewell_pnw
    9 years ago

I'd be interested

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

We would be interested, too.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

Okay, I will work on ironing out the details in the next week!

• drtdgr
    9 years ago

Count me in too!

• steelhead215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heck yeah, I'm interested!

• greenbean08_gw
    9 years ago

Yes please.

• bejoy2
    9 years ago

Mom and I will swoop in and drop off some plants, on the way to my Aunt's Celebration of Life in Portland. We can pick up any leftovers on the way back home - or, Barb and Don could you babysit them for us until the June trade? We can't go to that one because Mom has a timeshare in Canada the first week in June.

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

Tammy, we will be happy to babysit you leftovers. Maybe I can get rid of a few at my trade on May 17th. We're sorry you won't be able to make it either, and we'll miss seeing you at the Green Elephant, too! We're looking forward to seeing you again at your fall trade - just hope we aren't on vacation then, or it will really be a long time between visits. Maybe we can work out a one-on-one visit sometime in between.

• steelhead215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm confused. Is there a trade on 3 May, 17 May and in June? Green Elephant? Where are they? I'll be out of town on the 17th, but should be around for the one on the 3rd and in June... please clarify.

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

Steelhead, So far as I know there is a trade on April 19 in Portland, one in Olympia on May 3, one in Kelso/Longview on May 17 and finally the Green Elephant in Redmond on June 7, so you should find one or two you can attend. We do have a lot of fun and we enjoy the garden conversations as well as getting and giving lots and lots of plants. Hope to see you at one of them.

• bejoy2
    9 years ago

Barb and Don, Thanks for babysitting our plants. You can put them in your free pile for your trade. When Mom and I come down for your trade, we can pick up the leftovers and take them home. We never attend the June Green Elephant, anyway, so nobody will miss our plants. See you in May!
    Tammy

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Has a location been set for the May 3rd trade in Tumwater?

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

I haven't seen any location posted. Sure hope it hasn't been cancelled.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

So sorry, folks! I have been out of town for several weeks without internet access. We are ON for May 3rd! I will post exact directions a few days before the trade. The location is about two minutes from the "Tumwater Boulevard" exit off of I-5 (exit 101). Does 10-12 sound about right?

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Glad to hear that it's on!

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

We intend to be there with bells on and some plants to trade. I still have climbing roses if anyone is interested, and quite a few other plants - more if the rain slows down between now and May 4th.

• bejoy2
    9 years ago

Any word on a location yet?

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

Oh brother- I thought I had posted the directions, but I see they aren't here- ugh! Here it is again!

The Olympia Trade is this Saturday, May 3rd from 10-12!!

For those traveling south on I-5: Take exit 102 ("Trosper Rd./ Black Lake) and turn right at the end of the exit. Immediate move over so you can turn left in one block- heading south on Littlerock Rd. Go one mile and turn right onto Glenwood Dr. SW. Glenwood Dr. SW is a dead-end (*ahem* a "no outlet") street, and the trade will be at the park at the very end of the street- you can't miss it!

For those traveling north on I-5: Take exit 101 ("Tumwater Boulevard) and turn left at the end of the exit. Travel west until you get to a roundabout (there are no streets on this road- easy peasy!), and go immediately right at the roundabout so you are traveling north on Littlerock Rd. Continue through another roundabout, and at the third roundabout, travel around it and head back south... turning right onto Glenwood Dr. SW. about 1/4 mile after that roundabout. If you go past Tumwater Middle School, you went too far (so take the next (!) roundabout and head back). Glenwood Dr. SW is a dead-end (*ahem* a "no outlet") street, and the trade will be at the park at the very end of the street- you can't miss it!

I'll have cookies and hopefully get more things potted up. If anyone wants to dig up native oxalis, I've got plenty!

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

I have lots and lots of worms in my bins; castings too. Anyone interested?

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

I would love some of your worms. I think I lost most if not all of mine because of the extreme cold this past winter. Next winter they're going into the heated part of the cold frame. I only heat about 10 feet of the 50 foot long frame, and most of the time it doesn't get cold enough to kill plants or worms, but last winter was a really bad one for cold, and I couldn't take care of moving things because of knee surgery. Lost a lot of plants, too - sigh. By the way, Merry, did you get my e-mail about directions and a cell phone number if we get lost? Don't publish your number, but you can email me. I'm not sure what I'm going to have to offer for trade. Is there anything you're especially looking for? Thanks, Barb

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

Great! I'll get them cozy in some nice travel container! I sent you an email about directions and my cell number. I'm just happy to be involved in the trade (and, as always, wishing I had done more to prepare!)! I know my neighbor's five year old wants to grow some veggies, so if you had a few starts (of anything, really) it would be appreciated. They're out of town this weekend.

• bejoy2
    9 years ago

Thanks for re-posting. GardenWeb must be having some sort of glitch because I have notifications set on this thread, but didn't get one. Mom and I will be there, and we may even have time to mingle for a little while!

• elaine8_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Gardeners,
    I have recently moved to Olympia and will be starting over again with more sun than Brinnon. I'll be attending the Oly trade on Saturday and was wondering if anyone would share a start of the fragrant Carnation called "Pinks". It's normally a shorter version about 8 inches tall and I remember this as a young child.
    Even though I attended trades many years ago...I'm now a newbie again.
    Who knew! Looking forward to the trade.
    Thanks, Elaine

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

Merry, I'll bring some pea starts for your neighbor, and Elaine, I just potted up some very small carnation starts. I think it gets a little higher than you want, but the flower is pink and it's very fragrant. I'll bring you a couple if you want, but I don't think they're very well rooted yet.

• greenbean08_gw
    9 years ago

I don't have a lot to trade quite yet, but I was able to pluck a dozen little Egyptian Walking Onion starts from the garden to bring.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms