Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanislegal_gw

WANTED: Crape Myrtle

VanIsleGal
19 years ago

Does anyone on the coast, Seattle and north, have a crape myrtle in their yard?

I saw them in Florida and wonder why we don't have them here on Vancouver Island BC, in zone 7?

Comments (9)

• VanIsleGal
    Original Author
    19 years ago

PLEASE DISREGARD THE "WANTED" ABOVE.
    I found out that we (Vancouver Island) do not have the required heat for a Crape Myrtle to bloom as I saw in Florida. No wonder I never see any on the PNW coast. I will no longer wonder if we can grow them here. Until the next question.......chow

"USA hardiness zone 7 or 6b and southward. It is especially tolerant to heat and drought and flowers on new growth once temperatures reach a sustained day temperature of roughly 85+°F with long days. Once flowering is triggered to begin, on many cultivars flowering continues for 100 to 120 days or more."

• kitty32_z8
    19 years ago

Well I am starting some from seed. I'll try to let you now if it is true that they wont bloom. I have a HOT area on my property during summer. We'll see.

Kathy

• VanIsleGal
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW! FROM SEED you say!!! I can see I'll be waiting a few years to see if you can get one to bloom. But I'll be here if the island doesn't sink before then. I don't have a place for a continuous 85F temperature in the day, but if you do the flowering will be beautiful. I wonder what color you have.

I see you have a 5 acre Playground. Take lots of pictures so you can look back as it changes over the years. If I was younger I'd be envious and I'd be living between home and the nurseries, always looking for ideas. Hope the kids enjoy it too.......and just maybe you can entice your hubby into your new love. Have fun!

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

My Crape Mrytle blooms here in Seattle. I grew it from seed also, and it bloomed the second year. It is now 5 ft tall (6 yrs old)in a patio pot.
    Keep them in full direct sun and water very sparingly.

• VanIsleGal
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow RikerBear......I guess I have to find some seeds. Do you bring it inside for protection in the winter? what color were you able to get? And what size of pot are they growing in?
    I would like to find the dark pink color.

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

I have mine in a 1/2 whiskey barrel, and it has been since I first got it. It has never set seed or I'd offer you some, as it is the dark pink. I do not bring it in....in fact I don;t do anything to it at all. I never feed it, and barely water it. Seems to love neglect, which I am famous for. :-)
    Hope you give one a try.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Van Isle Gal, I got some crepe myrtle seeds at the swap and would be happy to divvy them up. No noted color, though I think the picture on the seed pack is white, or palest pink.
    Email me if you want to try some.

Riker Bear, good to have first hand information on successful growing from seed, and then the results from ensuing neglect: that, I can do!
    Annie

• VanIsleGal
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thankyou Poochella
    That is very nice of you to offer some seeds, but I think I'll leave you to grow them. I really prefer deeper colors by our all-white house.
    But with all this response I may have to hunt for a bush (or seeds) to put in a pot and try that.....especially after RikerBear said it likes to be neglected.......I can certainly do that!

I am amazed at the response to this Crape Myrtle topic.
    This is great! I now know where to go with any gardening questions.

• RikerBear
    19 years ago

Glad I could help. :-)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor