Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetflowers

WANTED: Re:Questions for Craig

sweetflowers
18 years ago

Hi Craig,

I am glad I was there when you came in, since you had plants that were Nursery quality- both the type and robustness. You were also very generous in giving them.

Here is what I would like to know-

1.Those two iris with long blades do they stay like that throughout the winter.

2.What kind of fertilizer do you use because they looked so...healthy.

3.I think you mentioned you have Koi pond. Do you have any pictures that ypou can post. We are in the process of putting a pond and would liek to get ideas.

Thanks,

Sangeeta

Comments (7)

• ccckoball
    18 years ago

Sangeeta, Thank you for the kudos. It was so good meeting you and everyone else who made me feel so welcome. What a great bunch of people! And thanks to all of you, also, who were so wonderful and generous with sharing a portion of your passions. As for the iris & libertia, yes they are evergreen; I just plucked them out of the garden that morning on the way out. Since I have a dog,koi,and enjoy all the wildlife etc (except the herons) I don't use any commercial fertilizers. I do believe in the old adage 'a dollar per plant, 5 dollars for the hole." I aldo utilize the benefits of watering the garden with my pond water as able, and I believe the plants really like the fish H2O. I have some hard copies of pond pics, but not on line yet. I hope to have a different look this year with more tropicallizing I hope to be able to hook up with someone ***HINT-HINT EVERYONE*** and obtain some interesting bamboo to plunk in. -we'll see. -We'll have to hook up.
    craig

• SeniorBalloon
    18 years ago

I have some bamboo if you want to come and dig it up. Not sure of the variety. It is a runner not a clumper.

jb

• sweetflowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Craig,

Sorry for the delay in replying I was sick for sometime. Thank you for the info.
    We are in the process of putting another small pond ad thinking of putting koi in it. Koi seem to be very expensive and I was wondering if they survive the winters here etc. Also where do you buy koi for your pond from. Which type of Koi.
    It would be great if you can post some pic of your wonderful pond. There is a link on Garden gallery on how to post pic here.
    Sangeeta

• SeniorBalloon
    18 years ago

Koi will survive the winters here if your pond is deep enough; I believe 3 to 4 feet.You also have to keep the Herons from having a very expensive snack. You might want to post over on the Ponds forum as there are many people over there who have fought this battle to help you.

I have opted to not have koi as I am not interested in keeping the pond covered or using other techinques to ward of Herons.

jb

• ccckoball
    18 years ago

Hi sangeeta,
    junior balloon is absolutely correct. my pond is 5 1/2ft deep,my first pond was 3ft at it's deepest, and was constantly fished out by herons or raccoons. i have 2 electric motion-deterctor sprinklers called scarecrows that are supposed to aid in deterring herons. herons, however, are smart creatures, and are quick to learn, or not be bothered by them. I also have a rotweiller dog that is of little good. I persist, however, because i have some koi that are about 2 ft in length, and don't want to loose them.I'd be happy to show my pond and garden when things are up and blooming. I don't know how to do pics on line.yet. Craig.

• sweetflowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Craig,
    I would love to see your pond and garden. Thanks for all the info. We will rethink before bringing koi. My husband was suggesting to have another pond just for koi. After I take a look at yours we will be able to better decide. I don't know how to post pictures either. I wanted to post some before and after pictures too.
    Sangeeta

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    18 years ago

If you have something like a photo bucket account which is free, its easy to post pictures here. Each picture will have its own little url or address. When you set up your account you can specify that the url be shown and all y ou do is copy and paste it. The way I do it is this. Within the body of your message insert the following between brackets like this

img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/suzyq1968/purpleflowerrandycopy.jpg";

The picture will magically appear.

{{gwi:678535}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor