Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgk1114

WANTED: Mature Blueberry Bushes

pgk1114
19 years ago

I'm looking for a few good bushes. Recently moved, and now have room for some blueberries! Is there anyone who could tell me how to go about finding some that are mature so I do not have to wait years to get a decent crop. I would prefer collins, but beggars can't be choosers. I would also like Rainier strawberries, if anyone has some. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Patrick888
    19 years ago

Some blueberry farms will occasionally put up signs offering mature bushes...I've seen signs offering them for $20 apiece. You might contact a few farms and ask if they'll be removing any this year.

Hmmm...Rainier strawberries...I'll have to Google that one! I don't remember seeing that name before. Ah Luvs Strawberries!

Patrick

• Patrick888
    19 years ago

Hmmm...I think I'd go with another variety, personally. Here's what I found thru Google:

Rainier Strawberries
    "Recommended for all locations. The high quality fruit ripens 4 to 5 days later than Totem. It is suited to the fresh market. Plants grown on silty loams seem to produce larger yields than those on sandy soil. It is more susceptible to fruit rot than most of the varieties listed."

It seems we almost always get rain in W. Washington just when the strawberries need sunshine for ripening with good flavor...if it's susceptible to fruit root, I have visions of a patch of berries going all soft, moldy & yucky!

Have you grown them successfully in zone 8?

Patrick

• pgk1114
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I buy them at a stand in stanwood when going to visit friends. If you have one you'll agree it's worth the risk. p.s. thanks for the tip.

• Patrick888
    19 years ago

Hmm...they sound good! Here's a link that contains a rating chart (from a commercial grower's perspective) of several strawberries cultivated in BC, as well as a brief description of each of the varieties. I tried to attach just the chart, but the numbers get skewed to one side.

http://res2.agr.ca/parc-crapac/agassiz/progs/crop_science/kemp/strawberry-fraise_e.htm

I'd like to find a similar rating for everbearing varieties.
    So far, I like Tri-Star.

Patrick

• kitty32_z8
    19 years ago

Pgk1114- sorry if I am off topic.

Patrick,
    I bought Tri Star last year. They performed wonderfully! Very tasty. I got 2 large harvests one in early spring and one in last summer early fall. They have overwintered ( if you want to call it that this winter) well.

• renarhod
    19 years ago

Hi. Look in the local for sale booklets you find for free in front of stores that list garage sales, apartments for rent, cars for rent...they also have a section on plants or gardening stuff. That's how we found that a blueberry grower was closing his business and had mature plants for sale. We bought 5 at 20.00 a piece. They are about 4-5 feet high so you need a truck to haul them. The farmer lifts them out of the ground though with a lift. We waited 3 years to find some. I drove around Oring and Puyallup to each nursery asking if mature plants were for sale and kept getting no's.

If you can't wait, go to Raintrees site because I found they supposedly have some large blueberries for sale but you'd have to pick them up there.

This is our second year with our big blueberries and they are doing well. So glad we waited and bought the big bushes. Good luck.

• bull22
    19 years ago

I live in Sultan. They are getting ready to put in a housing development one block away. It use to be a blueberry farm.
    They dug all the blueberries out and there is a sign out front that says make an offer.
    These bushes are 6' tall and have flowers on them right now.
    Drive thru Sultan on Hwy 2.Turn left on the Sultan Basin Road.Go up the hill to the top and past the new development on the right. About a block further on the right should be the sign with the blueberries sitting against the fence next to the road.

• lsmsqs
    19 years ago

Mc Lendon Hardware has them.15cents per plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: mc lendon

• madspinner
    19 years ago

I bought some this winter from someone who bought a house. It had belonged to someone who owned a blueberry farm. They sold as many bushes as you wanted/could dig yourself for $15 each. We got six. I don't know what variety they are.

I plan on planting others, of varieties I want... but this way I will have some blueberries to eat while I wait.

Sounds like bull22 is on to something though... did you check it out? Sounds like a good deal.

• nwlambear
    16 years ago

Hi...I'm a "newbie" to the site..live in Ferndale, WA. My first question is...am I zone 7 or 8? When I check the chart is says zone 7, but a lady who lives in Bellingham list her location as zone 8 My 2nd question is...I bought a blueberry plant from a nearby hardware/feed supply store and it came with no tags, instructions, etc. So I don't know what type blueberry bush it is. I also don't know anything about planting and caring for a blueberry bush. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Tricia in Ferndale, WA

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone