Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetflowers

Re:Thank you Jim for organizing GE!

sweetflowers
17 years ago

Hello Jim,

Thanks a lot for putting together the GE trade. It has grown over the years and it is good to see so many new faces every year.

Thanks for your generosity. I was a novice when I first came to GE and got my garden started with plants from you and some other gardeners.

I was wondering if you would be interested in having another trade in spring-summer when our plants are flowering or are putting out their gorgeous foliage. Also, it is not as cold to go out in the garden, so we can bring more plants. May be others can give their input too.

Sangeeta

Comments (6)

• Poochella
    17 years ago

I'll second the 'Thank You' to Jim for again organizing a wonderful event in a great setting. And for arranging the drizzle to stop at 10:05! Quite a feat.

Sangeeta, good to see you again this year. I met many new people but was so entrenched in the dahlia cause this year that I had no time to dig donatable perennials. I would therefore be up for a late Spring, perhaps in May: Green Elephant Part Deux?

I need to hear from the gal who just moved to this area and expressed an interest in perennials. I knew I should have written down your name! They are going to start getting dug up this week and they've got to go by the end of April. Wish I would have had time before the GE, but alas.......snow! I'll put up a separate HAVE post when I decide which plants are going to make more room for dahlias.

• sweetflowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good to see you too! It was great to see so many dahlias going to a worthy cause. You seem to have collected a lot of dahlia tubers.

I didn't have any to donate but I could buy it from the Hmong farmers. Where do they sell them?

• Poochella
    17 years ago

The flowers are sold for very reasonable prices at Pike Place and many farmers markets around the Sound- Des Moines Public Market and Issaquah Farmers Markets for sure, probably others.

• purplelotus
    17 years ago

I finally found this site and forum. how I wish I had found it sooner! I would like to thank all of you who gave me plants, tips at GE. It was very humbling experience for me, meeting so many so expert gardners. Thank you Jim for having such an event. I felt so funny after asking Jim, 'do you own a nursery?' :)
    Poochella, I am the one who just moved here. I would welcome any plant at this time.
    thanks again!

• drtdgr
    17 years ago

Jim, thanks so much for putting on the GE. I hope enough dahlia tubers were donated. I remember seeing dahlias being sold at the Pike Place Market - I didn't know they were the growers too. I was exhausted just dividing, potting, and labeling my meager plants for trade - I want to lie down just thinking about putting on the whole shebang twice a year. Susan

• Poochella
    17 years ago

LOL Susan, I want a nap just thinking about sorting out tubers alphabetically; let alone actually getting them in the ground.

The flooded Sno Valley farmers can use many more donations. They'll be collecting through March, but I bet anything sent even into April will be gladly accepted and planted.
    Email me if you want an address for mailing.

If anyone is interested, I plan to put on a little demonstration at the Fall November Green Elephant on dividing dahlias, methods of storage, helpful tips and tools to use. More on this in October.

Purplelotus- thanks for posting! I'll email you in a few days with a list of things to get you started in your new location.