Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejoy2

WANTED: 2011 Olympia Spring Trade Date Set

bejoy2
13 years ago

The date is set for the Olympia Spring Trade. It will be April 16th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The address is 8001-A Thrulake Circle SE, Olympia, 98513. Unfortunately, the clubhouse is being remodeled during that time, so there won't be kitchen facilities, and they can't even guarantee there will be restroom facilities available. So be sure to "go" before you come!

Comments (44)

• dawiff
    13 years ago

WooHoo! Been watching for this post! I am looking forward to the swap, my favorite. And I even have stuff to share this year.

A couple of pots of lithodora, some Monarda, and a bunch of pepper and tomato starts. I'll know exactly how many of each in a few weeks.

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

I'm wondering about the potluck this year. Would it be best to just bring some fingerfood since we won't have the kitchen? Or do you want to skip the goodies altogether? There are a few people from Kelso and Longview who want to come this year, and they're wondering what to bring other than plants. It will be great no matter what, you know. We're really looking forward to it - not sure yet about the plants I'll be bringing since my yard is one big mud puddle still, but I'm sure I'll have something.

• kellied
    13 years ago

WAHOO!!! I might be able to make it this time!

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I never say 'no' to a potluck. Just bring the sort of stuff you would on a picnic. I'll provide soda pops. Coffee may be more problematic, but if all else fails, I can get a Starbuck's Java Jug. Likewise, I'll provide paper plates, cups, napkins and utensils.
    Tammy

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dawiff, can I reserve a lithodora? That would be awesome!

This year, I am going to try to have some seedlings of perennial garden favorites. IF the weather cooperates!

• dawiff
    13 years ago

Tammy, No problem, I will set one aside with your name on it.

I'll also bring some kind of baked good, scones, cookies, something that doesn't need to be hot. I can bring a folding table that we can set up in the parking lot for food, if we need it.

• drtdgr
    13 years ago

I'm definitely going. I have a pink doublefile viburnum and some pink persicaria for now.

• bejoy_gw
    13 years ago

Facilities or not...we will all enjoy the upcoming Olympia plant trade. I have some of the more usual plants ready now. All are in 4 inch pots unless otherwise indicated.

Ajuga..green variety..8
    Allium triquestrum...........2
    Bamboo..small green..running..1 gallon
    Campanula Persicifolia.....7
    Columbine..unknown..1
    Geranium.. like Samobar..but no leaf decoration....1
    Ornamental Grass..variegated..5
    Penstemon..�Huskers Red�...1
    Potentilla......�Melton Fire�.....one 2 incher
    Primrose..English variety..maroon..3
    Primrose..the red blooming from Dirt works.... 8
    Primrose..Wanda....14
    Shasta Daisy..big Alaska.....4 ......and one 2 incher
    Siberian Iris..your purple.....1...and one gallon
    Sweet Woodruff......2...and four 2 inchers
    Yellow Eyed Grass..3

I will get more ready once I return home.

• treepalm
    13 years ago

I'm coming, too!

Bejoy, could I get some yellow eyed grass and the bamboo? I'll have to look around and see what I have.

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

drtdgr, Can I have the pink doublefile viburnum? Check out my trade list, on my page. I hope I'll have something that you like to trade.
    Thanks.
    bejoy2

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying to bump this post up the queue.

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

I also noticed that this isn't bumping up, Tammy. I've been wondering why not - did we tick off the big bumper person or what? LOL I'm so looking forward to this swap, but I'm afraid I won't have too much. So far I've got some lupin, some Radar Love clematis, rose campion (of course!) and a few other odds and ends. I'm still working on it and should have more by the 16th.

• plantknitter
    13 years ago

Rats!, Bad timing for me again. My garden is on a tour the following weekend, so I know I'll be really busy the week before, especially with all this rain delaying getting the garden ready ahead of time.
    Have fun, you all!

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barb, is there anything you want from my trade list? I'm going to have some hostas and maybe some ferns for Don's shade garden. I'm not sure what cultivar(s) the hosta are, because they are being real stubborn about poking their heads up. But, for ferns, I have maidenhair fern and autumn fern. I just got the shipment day before yesterday and got them potted up, but they were bare root, so I'd like them to put on some growth before I give them away. I was supposed to get cinnamon fern too, but they weren't in the shipment. If I don't get them soon, I will set one of those aside for Don for the next trade.
    .....By the way, I notice that you have a lot of iris. What do you do for iris borers? Bonnie, who came with Mom and me to your first trade, gave me some from her garden, and they are riddled with holes. I tried to cut the worst parts of the rhizomes out, but I'm not sure how to make sure a section of rhizome has an eye on it. I'm leery about planting them or giving them away until I get the borers under control. I'll bring some rhizomes to the trade to show you what I'm dealing with, and maybe you can give me some advice.

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

Hi Tammy, Don says he would love the hostas and ferns. I don't know yet what I might be interested in since I'm not sure if I'll be able to plant very much this spring. About the iris borers, I cut the leaves very short in the fall and try not to leave debris in the bed so I don't have a huge problem with borers although I do sometimes see holes when I divide them. The holes are usually in the old part of the rhizome which I cut off before replanting anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Borer Control

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

Yipee! Thanks for hosting! I attended two years ago and loved the experience (brought some plants, returned home with more...). I don't yet know what I'll have to share nor what I might want but DO know I'll come with something edible (brownies, cookies, scones, etc...).

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    13 years ago

Yayyyy!! I am so glad I looked here and didn't miss this. I will definitely plan on making it. I haven't done much digging this year, but I'll see what I can scratch up. I just like the idea of coming and visiting with everyone :-)

• bejoy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Barb..I would love a Radar Love Clematis start if you have enough. If you see anything on the list I posted..let me know..and it is yours.

If not..I just retured home..so now I will have time to get more plants ready before the plant trade..and maybe something there will be tempting. *G*
    Marie

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

Hi Marie,
    If the elk and deer leave one, I'll definitely bring a clematis for you. I'm sure having problems with the wild life this year, and I lost my cat so the field mice are trying to take over as well.

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

Looking forward to this event & seeing you all again. Always fun & our Suburban fills up quickly because you're all so generous. The gardens at camp & home are shaping up nicely thanks to your offerings.

Winter sowed a lot of seeds, but not all have sprouted just yet. Will bring an assortment of what I have to spare along with manure if I can get my buckets back from my daughter's place. Another gardener is born...

Corrine & James

• bejoy_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks Barb. I do understand the wild life problem. I hope I can find something for you. It has been raining since I returned so..hoping for good digging weather ..and soon!

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

Anyone want me to bring some of that Sumner Grow? It's class A biosolid. I have used it on my grass & ornamentals, but not any edible plants though they state it's ok. It's steel gray/black & pelleted somewhat dusty, so I'd seal in bags or bring buckets of it. Dense & you don't need much.

RECOMMENDED USES
    The material is soil-like in appearance. Keep material dry until ready for use.
    Consider mixing your own potting soil and adding about 8-10% Bonney Good Sumner Grow to the mix. This gives your plants a slow-release nitrogen feed with valuable trace elements over a period of time, getting new transplants off to a healthier start.

Established Lawns: Use as a top dressing at about 25 pounds per 1,000 square feet.
    New Lawns & Sod Applications: Use a little less--about 20 lbs per 1,000 square feet.
    Shrubs: Use about 1 cup for small bushes, two for medium sized, three for large.
    Potted Plants: Use a handful for each medium sized plant.
    To Restore Old, Worked Out Gardens: Work about 10-20 pounds per 100 square feet into the top 6 inches of soil. This replaces chemical fertilizers.
    Trees: Use 2 pounds per inch of diameter spread evenly to the drip line (the tree�s shade at noon).

It's supposedly good for repelling deer because of the odor, which is unique to itself, not like poo really.

Barb R U interested to see if it repels the elk?

• anuparaj
    13 years ago

Hi:

I'm new to this event so I have a question.
    Is this a 'trade only' event of is this a 'For sale' event as well? or both?

The event sounds fun and I'm looking forward to it.

• treepalm
    13 years ago

Hello Anuparaj,
    Glad to have a new person! This is a trade only event. Some people bring baked goods to trade, when they don't have plants to trade. There are always some plants that are given away.
    Treepalm

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

I think I'll be bringing some people from our area, too. They come to my swaps in May and have expressed a lot of interest in the Oly swap.
    Corrine, I would be interested in the Sumner Grow if someone is picking some up. I think I'm going to have a truckful of plants and people if everyone comes who says they want to.
    Not that I personally will have very much - we've had just one day without rain this month and Portland (but not here!) reached 60 degrees for the first time since Christmas. I'm just looking outside and being very bummed out! Not getting any digging done at all.

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

Barb,
    I'd pick up Sumner Grow especially for you :o)Corrine

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

Is there anything you're especially interested in, Corrine? I'm not growing veggies this year, but maybe I can find something you would really like.

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

We'll bring our son's $200 prize winning Hershey's chocolate chip cookies, manures, Sumner Grow soil amendment, various black pots/trays if there is interest, & what space is left we'll bring some plants such as: Red Russian kale seedlings, ferns, Tellima, ditch daylily, Vinca major, and tough variegated groundcover Aegopodium.

Looking to trade for:
    �early spring/late fall bloomers, evergreen & colored foliage: yellow, light green, variegated, or purple

�Daylilies: reblooming, pink or dwarf

�Deer resistant: sun (May-Sept such as iceplant (Delosperma or Potentilla) & part sun

�Dwarf conifers: false cypress 'Gold Fern', bird nest spruce, Gold Star' juniper

�Edibles: blueberries, cranberry, kiwi (Issai or ornamental F)

�Groundcovers: Brunnera, Campanula, Carex, creeping plumbago, European, ginger, hardy Geranium, Hakonechloa (Japanese forest grass), Japanese primrose, Lamium (spotted dead nettle), Mertensia (V. bluebells), snowdrops, variegated Liriope

�Shrubs
    Blooming: summersweet (Clethea alnifolia 'Ruby Spice'), hydrangea (esp. fall color ones oakleaf, 'Glowing Embers'), viburnum 'Pink Dawn'
    Foliage: Japanese aucuba, Japanese holly (Ilex crenata 'Lemon Gem'), black elderberry (Sambucus), Leucothoe, Nandina 'Gulf Stream' or 'Moon Bay'

�Part sun/shade especially: (Astrantia red/pink, Chelone turtlehead, Epimedium, Monarda pink/purple, Echinacea purple/pink, Lupine, Rudbeckia)

�Shade: Aconitum (monkshood), black mondo grass, Bugbane (Actea was Cimifuga), Rodgersia, Gunnera

�Vines: golden hops, sweet autumn clematis, group 3 clematis, twining snapdragon (annual)

• bejoy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Barb..I have an iris you might like.

I will email you a picture.
    Bejoy

• dawiff
    13 years ago

I posted my list of Haves on a new thread, because I wanted to include some pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: For Spring 2011 Olympia Swap

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

dawiff, I'd love to have a rhodie and a monarda (or two!). What's on your wish list?

I know now (only "thought it" before!) that I'll pot up lots of random plants and can't promise anything before the swap. However, my worm bin is very active so if anyone wants a pound or so I can surely accommodate that request!

• dawiff
    13 years ago

Hi Merrygardener, no problem, I'll set aside a rhodie and two pots of Monarda. Be aware, the Monarda spreads.

I would love to have some worm poop! You did mean poop, right, not worms?

Hmm...my wish list -- I'm really into the red/orange/purple/yellow color combination this spring for some reason. So anything with leaves or flowers in those colors will suit me, I think. Especially, Heucheras and ornamental grasses. Anything with dark purple leaves or chartreuse leaves. I just picked up a purple-leaved Euphorbia at McLendon's this morning, which I love, it has purply leaves and yellow flowers. Stuff like that.

I have a big native area in my garden, so I'll also take natives.

I'm not being very specific, sorry. I do actually have a long and very specific list on my blog of Plants I Want. Feel free to take a look at it, I'll put a link with this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look for

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

@ dawiff: No, I really meant worms! Sorry, I tidied up the bin a month or so ago so all the vermicompost is out in the garden, but boy do I have extra worms! I will definitely pot up some Euphorbia (I think I have both purple and chartreuse.... have been digging out the purple and composting them- yikes!- but I think there are some more out there..).
    I love the photos on your blog!

@ everyone else: Is anyone starting a worm bin and in need of "starter" worms?

• dawiff
    13 years ago

Ah well, merryg, I don't think I am ready to try starting a worm bin. At the moment, I don't think I can quite wrap my head around it. Too much else going on. It's a project I would like to try in the future though.

I am also going to bring a bunch of books and magazines, which are free for the taking.

Some of the book titles:

Garden Pools, Fountains and Waterfalls
    The Master Book of the Water Garden
    Natural Stonescapes
    Creating Garden Accents
    Backyard Mosaics
    Building Birdhouses
    Reinvent Your Garden
    Gifts From the Garden
    And a handful of Ortho "All About" books

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

Merrygardener, we could use some worms to replenish our bins after the unusually cold weather this winter. I'll have a list of my "haves" in a day or two - hope you can find something you want.

• afowler11
    13 years ago

Hi All!

I just bought a hellebore. It is blooming and it is divine
    Does anyone know, should I plant it into the ground now or wait until it finishes it's blooming?
    Port Orchard Washington area (by Gig Harbor/Bremerton)
    Thank you!
    Ardi

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

Ardi, they don't seem to be fussy at all about when they are planted. This might be a good question for the folks at the "Northwestern Gardening" forum- lots of experienced folks there who know far better than I do!

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am bringing cuttings of a fragrant white lilac, flowering quince shrub, Vinca major, and a spirea (Spiraea x vanhouttei, I think).

• treepalm
    13 years ago

Hi bejoy2,
    Could you put a spirea cutting aside for me? I've been looking for one like that. Anything you are looking for? I've been out digging while we finally have good weather!
    Teresa

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sure, treepalm. I'm not absolutely certain that it is a vanHoutte (bridal wreath) spirea, but the flowers sure looks like it to me. The shrub was woefully neglected, so it never had the signature vase shape that would clench the ID for me.

• treepalm
    13 years ago

Hi Bejoy2,
    I'm not picky, I just want a white bridal wreath. I've been out digging. Hopefully, you can find something that interests you. I hope the weather holds so I can get a good selection.
    Treepalm

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teresa, I'm not real sure about how well the cuttings I took of the spirea will root, so I dug up some suckers for you.

Just a reminder to all - there will be no kitchen or restroom facilities available. There is a McDonald's, Burger King, and a Starbuck's nearby.

• treepalm
    13 years ago

Bejoy2 that was sweet of you! Thanks

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dawiff, I'm bringing you a large sword fern for your native area.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County