Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejoy2

HAVE: Proposed Fall Olympia Trade

bejoy2
16 years ago

A local nursery owner has heated, high hoop houses that sit empty all fall and winter. I told him about the plant trades I go to, and he thinks it is a fabulous idea! So, after he closes up shop for the season, he would like to a plant trade. If there is enough interest, he would like to have them on a regular basis for a couple of months, until the weather turns too cold. His nursery is in Olympia, near the Lacey AmTrack station. Is anyone interested in a plant trade in Olympia in the September-October time frame?

Comments (10)

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    16 years ago

I'm extremely interested. I think no matter what the response we should start this up. There are too few trades down at this end of the Sound and I know there are plenty of gardeners who would love to come if they only knew about it. A nursery would be just the way to get that word out locally. And of course we can spread the word on the garden forums. Count me in for sure! Olympia would be easy access for those from up north as well..just hit I-5 and come on down.

• barbe_wa
    16 years ago

I would love to attend unless it's during our vacation time in September.

• jburesh1388
    16 years ago

Sounds fun!

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am excited at the prospect of having a trade in Olympia, but we will have to change locations. The nursery owner now wants to host a farmer's market-type thing, where he will charge money for people to set up tables, and people can buy, sell, trade or barter for produce, plants, crafts, etc. That's a great idea, and I hope it works out for him, but that's not my idea of a plant trade. So, looking about for another place to have the trade, I didn't have to look very far. My homeowner association's club house can be reserved. There is a bathroom, kitchen, pool, and children's play area, so it is ideal. But when to have it? I know it's useless to have one during summer vacation, and since Labor Day is September 1 this year, we would have to have it at the end of August, before school starts, or maybe even sooner, like the end of May, before school gets out. Any input?

Below is a link to the my homeowner's association website. Click on the 'Photo Gallery' Link on the left nav bar for some photos of the facilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunwood Lakes Website

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    16 years ago

Looks like a great place. Last weekend in May won't work for me darn it, but I'm open for most any other time.

• anne79
    16 years ago

Yes I would be very interested! I've read about the ones in other areas, and thought they sounded like a lot of fun. I have a brand new hoop style greenhouse, so I've just started experimenting with propagating some of my favorite plants, with a little luck I'll have some to trade.

• ebacherdom
    15 years ago

I'm game - I would love to be involed; email me with more information when the times come.

Dominic

• bejoy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Bejoy2..I would love to come..and would like to propose May 24th for a possible meeting date. I hope that would work for nightnurse68 and others. It is before the summer chaos/fun begins so a good time for me.

As I recall there has not been a plant trade in that area for a long time. Maybe this will jump start some.

• plantknitter
    15 years ago

If you are seriously planning on a SPRING trade, I suggest you start a new thread, so more people will realize it is not a fall trade.

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've decided to have a spring trade on May 24th, and I have started a new string for that discussion. However, I am still going to look into having a fall trade. So keep checking back for more discussion on this string as well! Hope to have a large turnout for the spring trade, and in the meantime, I will look into reserving the clubhouse for a fall trade.