Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkirkwag_gw

WANTED: Worms - Seattle/Bellevue

mkirkwag
19 years ago

A kind GWer got me started with worms for my bin, but they reproduce slowly, and I produce garbage quickly! :-) Actually, I want to set up a poop bin for the pets, and I need to start with enough worms that we don't have a stinky horror, so if you're giving up on worms or have an overflow, I'd love to trade or pay less that what they'd cost to ship.

I have some excess flowering quince, New England aster, aquilegia vulgaris, day lilies, seeds, cell packs (who doesn't!), wild lily-of-the-valley, and lots of plants to take cuttings from (bridal veil spirea, forsythia, white lilac, rhodies, creeping theyme, rosemary - lots of others.

Comments (4)

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Do you just want regular garden variety red worms? Big worms, little worms? I'm going through my compost piles now and can start saving them for you if you wish.

I want to hear more about a Poop bin! (Believe it or not.) We have 5 cats and hauling the scoopable litter waste is killing us. And a dog who invites all her neighbor dogs to visit.

I would love some forsythia, can you believe I don't have it? Spirea and the white lilac too if I can give you enough worms to make them all worth your while.

• mkirkwag
    Original Author
    19 years ago

:-D
    IÂd be happy to share with you anyway  itÂs just cuttings for those three, though, so I donÂt know if youÂd want them. Forsythia is supposed to very easy to grow from cuttings.

Re the worms...well, I donÂt know. Apparently, the ones that crawl up into our compost arenÂt the same ones that live in bins. The ones in the compost have underground burrows that they return to. They die in bins. The ones in bins are the ones the live right under the leaf litter, etc  near the surface. Well, except that Night Crawlers inhabit the bottom of the bin, so I donÂt know. TheyÂre epigeic worms, so you could ask to see their ID. I think that Kellie Snyder said that the ones that are red all around are red wigglers, and the ones that are pink on the bottom are imposters. Makes collecting them a bit of a challenge.

HereÂs where I read about the poop bin:
    http://www.composters.com/docs/worms_p2.html
    We could just get one of those things you bury, but this would give us worm castings. Do you know about the things you bury? Probably easier, even if you donÂt get worm castings out of it!
    HereÂs one (scroll to Doggie Dooley):
    http://www.composters.com/docs/bins_p5.html#gm
    IÂve seen them anywhere from $25 - $150

• Rosalynde
    19 years ago

I will bring redworms (for vermiculture) worm bins to the Seattle swap on May 21st. I've never heard of using them for poop bins though!
    Lynda

• Poochella
    19 years ago

LOL M kirk: ask for IDs! I would just go for Rosalynde's red worms if I were you, but from now on I will be studying worms more closely than ever before while digging- so much to learn. I think I have the imposter pink belly ones and some huge nightcrawlers. I like them all.

I've seen that dog poop septic tank before. I will have to search for some solution for cat litter other than the landfill. Hot tip: dog poop scuttled down the holes or runways of moles acts as a deterrent. No surprise there! Those little buggers are smarter than we think.

I can get forsythia from the neighbor- if I would just stop and do it one of these days. Thanks anyway.