Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

HAVE: Native Shrubs for Oly Swap

dawiff
14 years ago

I have two of each of the following for trade at the upcoming 2010 Olympia Swap:

Red Osier Dogwood

Vine Maple

Red Elderberry

Pacific Ninebark

American Cranberry

Kinnickinnick

Evergreen Huckleberry

I also have one Red Flowering Currant.

They're small, basically sticks with leaves, but healthy.

I would prefer to trade them for small shrubs in return. Any of the following:

Oceanspray (Holodiscus discolor)

Western Sweetshrub (Calycanthus occidentale)

Snowberry (Symphoricarpos)

Oregon Grape, either Mahonia aquifolium or nervosa

Or native perennials:

Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridus)

Vanilla leaf (Achlys triphylla)

Western Columbine (Aquilegia formosa)

False Solomon's Seal (Smilacina racemosa)

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• bejoy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Dawiff.... Would you be willing to trade a Vine Maple for an Oregon Grape? Not sure what kind.....but think the taller variety. It is not a baby..but also it is not fully grown.
    Bejoy

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bejoy, that sounds perfect! I would love your Oregon grape, whichever it is. As long as it isn't the one that trails on the ground. I'll set one of the vine maples aside for you.

• bejoy_gw
    14 years ago

Thank you Dawiff...It is not a trailing one...so it is a trade.
    Bejoy

• oliveoyl3
    14 years ago

I'd like your evergreen huckleberry for some oregon grape nervosa. I can bring you several if you give tips for digging & potting up. I thought they were finicky to transplant.

I will look for some of your other natives desired in near where trees will be harvested this year in our forest.

Corrine

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Corrine, I don't actually have any tips on transplanting Mahonia, I've never done it. I haven't heard that it is finicky. I've seen them for sale in pots at the nursery though, and they always seem to be doing fine. I would really appreciate it if you could keep an eye out for other natives. Do you want both evergreen huckleberries?

• bejoy2
    14 years ago

From what I've read, Oregon grape is not difficult to transplant from pot-grown plants, but is extremely difficult to transplant from the wild. This is because Oregon grape establishes colonies by sending out an underground branch which grows a new plant. The new plant remains attached to the parent plant for several years and is slow to establish its own root system. The huckleberry is the same way.

I think I can find you an oceanspray sapling and a snowberry shrublet, too. I will bring you a selection of native plants for you. I am going to post a list of plants I have available on my page, providing my internet cooperates.

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bejoy2, an oceanspray and a snowberry would be so awesome, thank you so much! Let me know if there is anything you'd like in return.

• oliveoyl3
    14 years ago

D: Yes, to both evergreen huckleberries. Do you still want to try the Oregon Grape? I saw several that were tiny, so might transplant better. I will give you the humus, too & dig the day before swap.

I have a natives library book to try to find your list to trade. I've recently seen honeysuckle, Indian Plum (1st to flower in spring), Bleeding Heart, yellow 4" violet in bloom, Foxglove, Sword Fern - tiny starts or the full size fern? OGrape is blooming now & easy to spot. I'm not for sure on the False Solomon's Seal, but will check it out.

Bejoy: Do you want the native Bleeding Heart?

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

corrine1, I would still like to try the tiny transplant you have of Oregon grape, might as well give it a try if you don't mind digging it the day before the swap. I'd love some native honeysuckle too, and sword fern. Actually, any other native ferns too, such as deer fern.

I do want an Indian Plum, I have a spot picked out for it, but I'm going to see if I can find a good size one at a nursery. That's one that I'd like to have more than a sapling.

Just the other day I found out there is a western sweetshrub, Calycanthus occidentale, that I'd love to have. Don't know how hard that is to find.

• garden_of_mu
    14 years ago

I would love to get starts of Kinnickinnick and red ossier dogwood. I'm bringing a variety of pacific coast irises including one that is a collected species. Once established they are almost totally carefree, needing only deadheading after bloom and a yearly cleanup in spring. I can also try digging mahonia for you if you like. There's salmonberry and, petasites palmatus in profusion here as well as all the native rubus varieties. If you'd care for any of these let me know.

Mike

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mike, I will set the kinnickinnick and the dogwood aside for you. If all my trades come through, I think I will probably have enough mahonia, so don't go to the trouble of digging it for me. I think I will also pass on the salmon berry, but I would love a couple of starts of the Petasites palmatus, from what I hear it spreads somewhat aggressively, so only two will probably be enough.

I would also love some of your Pacific Coast Iris.