Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: I can help dig up Isatis tinctoria (for dyeing)

Posted by madspinner z7 WA skagit (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 20:37

I don't want to plant it!

Dyer's Woad, or Isatis tinctoria is a noxious weed here in Washington. However, if someone has a whole lot of it on their property and they live sort of near Whatcom or Skagit Counties, I could be talked into coming and helping dig it up/destroy them if I can take some home to dye with. I would, of course, promise NOT TO PLANT IT, and would take steps to destroy what was left of the plants when I was done.

For those who don't know, if you ferment it you can make a blue dye out of woad. It is very similar to indigo, as far as dye plants go.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: I can help dig up Isatis tinctoria (for dyeing)

I have a former neighbor in Virginia who has started a small garden, in memory of his wife, inside a public garden. She died of cancer. This small garden contains a full spectrum of plants from which cancer drugs are made. He wanted me to locate some Isatis tinctoria since it is a weed in the NW. I have not been able to locate any! If you find any, will you be willing to send him some rooted small plants? Thanks.

Balraj in Sequim, WA.

o
RE: WANTED: I can help dig up Isatis tinctoria (for dyeing)

You might also enjoy using berries from the mature POKE plant for Red/Purple dyes. Just be SURE to wear gloves as all parts of this plants are toxic once it gets over 10" tall or so. I grow Poke to eat the UNDER 8-inch leaves in my eggs for breakfast. Better than Spinach. Young stalks can be chopped for crunch in raw or cooked foods.

(---> NEVER eat the root or berries - or older leaves)

o
RE: Weaver's woad in Utah

My mom used to live in Salt Lake City, Utah. She told me there was weaver's woad growing on Redwood Road west of SLC. We used to joke that the road was called Wedwood Woad. Don't know if this helps -- maybe someone in Utah could help you. Might not be legal to transport it, though.

Lita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here