Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbe_wa

HAVE: Kelso/Longview Swap, May 17, 2014

barbe_wa
9 years ago

Longview/Kelso Plant Swap

17 May 2014

Here are the directions to get to my place for the trade. I hope a lot of you can make it. It's always fun to get a bunch of gardeners together. It will be from 10 AM until everybody has enough and wants to go home. I always have a little cookout (just hamburgers and hot dogs) so no one has to worry about lunch (some of you have to drive a ways to get here). You can bring something to share for lunch if you are so inclined, but it's not necessary. Anything is okay to swap as long as it's garden or yard related - plants, seeds, pots, tools, books, yard art, etc. The only stipulation is no money is to be exchanged. I always have a lot to give away as well as trade. Some of it is already potted up and some you will have to dig.

Directions: Take Exit 39 off I-5. If you're coming from the south, turn right at the light, and immediately get into the left lane for a left turn at the next light, (about 50 feet.) Turn left on Minor Rd./Kelso Dr. and continue up the hill to the stop sign, which is Mt. Brynion Rd. Turn right onto Mt. Brynion Rd. and go almost exactly 5 miles. The mail box numbers will be in the 4300 series. Look for Bear Creek Rd. off to the left. It is a dirt road, and you won't see any houses. Turn left on Bear Creek Rd., and we are the second house you come to. (171 Bear Creek Rd.).
If you are coming from the north, turn left at the light. Go to the second light, and turn left onto Minor Rd/Kelso Dr. and then follow the directions above.

We hope to see a lot of you here!

Comments (13)

• reeskylr
    9 years ago

I just found this forum and live in Castle Rock, this sounds like a wonderful garden swap.

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope you can make it to the swap, reeskylr. We have lots of fun and love to make new gardening friends.

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Is anyone interested in veggie starts? Squash, tomato, and cukes?

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rachierabbit, there are always people interested in veggie starts. Some have asked if there will be any, and I told them there is almost always someone that has them. I didn't start any but peas and lettuce so far so I would be interested in squash and cukes.

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

I will be brining two yuccas, one new zealand flax, a flat of iris, assorted veggie starts and anything else that I dig up between now and then :0). What is everyone else bringing?

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have quite a bit of tradescantia (spiderwort) and Gloriosa Daisy (rudbeckia), some perennial herbs, climbing roses that mostly don't have leaves, but the roots were good when I potted them, amsonia hubrichti (Blue Star), pea starts, and a lot of odds and ends that I only have one or two of. What color are your iris? I don't need purple, but almost any other color I would trade for. I think my neighbor is bringing some iris, too, and another neighbor is probably bringing dahlia tubers. I am interested in some veggie starts depending on what they are. I need cukes and summer squash, one or two kale plants and broccoli.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

Once again, doing the midnight hour garden trade planning! I have yellow irises in bloom and about to bloom. If I get lots of the surrounding soil, should I dig?

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Merrygardener- I find that iris are one of the toughest plants around. Go for it ;0)

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Barbe- I have cukes and squash for you :0)

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

merrygardener, I agree that iris are really tough. You might lose the flowers this year, but it shouldn't hurt the plant.
    rachierabbit, thanks for the cukes and squash. Is there anything special you're looking for that I might have, or would you rather just wait until you get here and look at what's offered?
    I'm not sure how many are coming. I've posted on our local garden forums and swap forums in Olympia, Seattle and Portland. Here's hoping there are a lot of attendees. I've got the burgers and hot dogs in the fridge and Don cleaned the grill today so I guess we're ready to go!

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Barbe- I am looking for woodland plants, plants that do well in semi shade, a yellow rhody, a hybrid butterfly bush and shrubs. A girl can dream right ;0) Looking forward to tomorrow! Plants are loaded in the truck; now I just need to figure out what to bring as a side dish!

• rachierabbit
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the fantastic swap Barb and Don! Beautiful gardens, wonderful conversation, delicious food and free plants!

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it was a very good swap even if several of our regulars couldn't make it. We got a lot of trading, eating and, best of all, visiting done. I will have a lot more plants at the Green Elephant - all of those left from the swap plus whatever I can get dug up out of that weed patch I call a flower garden. lol I definitely have a lot of work to do, as you could tell.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES