Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: groundcover - se pdx

Posted by fernybreath USDA 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 16:54

Hello. There are a couple bare patches in my backyard that I would like to fill in with a groundcover. They are a few inches of mulch, and there's a plastic covering underneath. However I can't remove the plastic as I am a tenant.

If someone has something that will grow well in these shallow conditions I can trade for aloe. I'm not sure exactly what kind of aloe it is but it has done well indoors with indirect light.

I'm in SE Portland.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: groundcover - se pdx

• Posted by
    plant.babies Oregon desert zone
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 15:04

Hi!

I am in The Dalles, and I grow groundcovers. I do want some Aloe, so let's talk.

:)

D.

o

Sun or shade? I've got lots of Lily of the Valley.... for shade....don't need anything in return....how many years are you planning on living there? ;)

o

Thanks for the replies.
plant.babies I followed up with you via email.
buyorsell888:
I'm out of town until next Monday so my replies take longer than usual. Thanks for the offer. The location is indirect sun. I won't be living here for more than 6 months but I like to add as much green as possible wherever I live :) That's why I think groundcover would be ideal. It would add some green to the yard that future tenants could enjoy, with minimal maintenance for them and/or the landlord.

o

The reason I asked is because Lily of the Valley is horribly invasive. I'm ripping it out by the handful and not making a dent. It is a deciduous groundcover for shade to part shade and has lucious smelling flowers for far too short of a time period.

o
correction

I'm ripping it out by the wheelbarrow full not handful.

o
update

these spots are next to the house and separated from the rest of the yard, which sounds like an ideal spot for the Lily. however, i don't want to spread it around if it is invasive and destroys native habitat like English and other ivies. is this the case? otherwise i would be happy to take some from you. i don't have a car but may be able to borrow one from a friend. i am located by SE 28th & Holgate.

o

No, it isn't a noxious weed like Hedera helix.

I'm near 148th and Stark. We eat at The Semaphore on Sundays on a regular basis. Perhaps we could drop some off some time soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here