Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Maple cuttings & fungus question

Posted by keithruck Monroe/Snoho (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 0:49

I have a maple that is against the house and I need to trim it back so it isn't touching; if anyone wants me to try to root a cutting for you, please let me know. The dollar bill shows the leaf size.

Or, if you want a _lot_ of cuttings, let me know and we'll schedule it so you can come over when I trim it, and you can have hundreds and hundreds of cuttings.

Also, (see three photos in link that are not maples) while pruning today, my wife found this. It is fairly heavy, so I don't think it is an insect egg sack- maybe some type of mold/fungus? Does anyone know what this is?

Thank you!
Keith

Link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Keith's pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Maple cuttings & fungus question

Is the lump woody? attached to the branch?
Was is in or on the ground? or completely above ground?

It kind of looks like a root callus, where the branch may have been trying to root.

Or it does look like a chunk of conk-like fungus.

I've seen similar coming up in/on the ground around my hemlocks and they do look like a hard fungus, and come to think of it, why haven't i tried to find out what they exactly are? Hmmm... I'm off to look for an answer.

If you don't get an answer, on this thread, try to post on the non exchange NW forum. Or is there a mushroom/ fungus forum?

Remember to click the box that sends replies to you.

o
RE: HAVE: Maple cuttings & fungus question

Ok, I figured out that I have coral fungus, not sure about yours.

mdvaden on the NW site seems to know alot about fungi, maybe you can send a pic to him/her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here