Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Tropical plants

Posted by rickhl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 12:40

I have some extra plants that need a good home. People with plants to trade get first dibs, but otherwise trading is optional. The plants I have:

- Passiflora actinia: I have an extra two of these, they need to be put on a trellis or something soon. Very cool flowers but not hardy outdoors.

- a Cavendish banana: I have one of these, a healthy plant about 18" tall.

- lemon eucalyptus: these are 2-year old seedlings of this tropical tree, I have 7-8 extra, some are 12" tall or more. Brushing up against the leaves of this plant releases a lemon scent. I'm assuming this variety can be grown in a container, but it's new to me.

- tibouchina starts, I have 7-8 of these.

- mystery plants: I collected some seeds from what I thought was a helicone but they came up looking like a ti plant, so I may have mixed up the seeds? Not sure what they're going to do but it's a nice looking plant (reddish leaves on some).

Plants I would be happy to trade for include mostly other tropicals that I may not have already, such as:

- other types of bananas
- gingers
- unusual types of citrus (I have the common varieties of lemons and limes).
- other types of herbs and fruits.

I live between Orting and South Prairie, about 15 minutes from Bonney Lake. I work from home so I'm usually home during the day.

p.s. Can anyone tell me why my Babaco papaya and Musa lasiocarpa are not doing well? The papaya is losing its leaves as soon as they reach a mature size, although it keeps growing new ones. And the two Musa lasiocarpa were not looking good (leaves are faded and veins showing), but my other types of bananas are doing well. I think the sunroom they've been in may be too hot, it gets up to mid-90's before the ventilation fan kicks in, so I moved that variety of banana outside but it's too soon to say if that has solved the problem yet. Should I do the same with the papaya?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Tropical plants

hi
I would love the Passiflora actinia, a Cavendish banana and ti plant, but I am wondering how would we do the exchange. Would you be coming towards issaquah/Redmond side by any chance? I am starting few ginger starts, that's the onlything on your list that I have right now.

o

Rick I would be interested in the Passiflora actinia, tibouchina starts, and the lemon eucalyptus. Check my list, I have some great stuff. Maybe something like like an angel's trumpet, orchid cactus, and a nautilus vine?
Are you going to the September trade in Bonney Lake?

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

o

Purplelotus: what kind of ginger do you have for trade?

Grrrnthumb: The orchid cactus sounds very cool, and some of the other stuff on your list looks interesting. The nautilus vine (same as vigna caracalla?) is something I have already, although that's another plant that is not doing well in the sunroom (leaves turning yellow, etc.).

To both of you: are you around during the day or do you an 8 to 5 job? The reason I ask is because next Wednesday I have to drive up to Mount Vernon for an evening meeting (although I suspect it may be canceled because I don't think they're going to be ready), so I could meet you both on the way up to exchange plants if you will be available mid-day. I could meet Purplelotus along the I-405 corridor about mid-afternoon, and meet Grrrnthumb in Marysville shortly after that. You're both welcome to come down here too but we're not exactly on the way.

The fall trade in Bonney Lake sounds good, hope to make it there!

o

Hi Rick,
Email me direct at gw@hulsetile.com . I haven't been having any luck with the Garden Web email system.
- Tom

o

I missed that, could not check GW for few days. Anyway didn't have good luck with the asian ginger. aah well, some other time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here