Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahlia_guy

HAVE: late summer pdx swap

dahlia_guy
18 years ago

Wold anyone be interested in coming to a swap in August or September in St Helens? I would be glad to host one if there is enought interest. Thanks

Travis

Comments (32)

• zephyrgal
    18 years ago

Count me in! I have plants to offer as well.

• barbe_wa
    18 years ago

I'm pretty sure we would be able to come. And I should have quite a few plants to offer.

• pdxjules
    18 years ago

I'd like to carpool from North/Northeast Portland with someone - or can meet you in St Johns.

I have these ready right NOW
    if someone wants to come and get em:

Shade Shrub starts: Persicaria Virginiana ('Lance Corporal')

Borage starts (stunning blue flowers, attracts pollinators)

armloads of fresh mint, rosemary and oregano (starts too)

Tomato (Jumbo Cherry)

Poke

Loads of fresh seed too, for:
    Arugala, Mustard, Calendula and Borage
    Italian Sprouting Broccoli
    cherry belle Radish, more...

Here is a link that might be useful: Persicaria Virginiana ('Lance Corporal')

• Thistledown_Farm
    18 years ago

Pick a date Travis and I will try to come with a car load of trade stuff.
    Good to see you in May, too bad you were so busy!!!
    Linda

• debbb
    18 years ago

Ok--just tell us a date!

• Eucalyptusman
    18 years ago

Hey... I have some Cold Hardy provenanced Eucalyptus to trade as well as some other goodies....

• oldherb
    18 years ago

Travis, Barb told me you were thinking about having a swap...I would love to attend.

I have some interesting edibles and other stuff to swap just waiting in the wings (oh goodie!)

Patty

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It will probably have to wait until late September. Due to my work I won't be able to get a weekend day off until then. I'll let everyone know a date when I know. Thanks!

Travis

• barbe_wa
    18 years ago

I hope you don't make it on Sep 24 since I'm already committed to the Issaquah trade that day. Sometimes it's nice to be "in between" Seattle and Portland. I get the best of both!

• treepalm
    18 years ago

I was thinking that we might try to drive down for this trade, too, if we can, and I'm hosting the Issaquah trade.
    Teresa

• oldherb
    18 years ago

Travis you just name the date and we'll try to be there. I have another newby that wants to come from N PDX I'll give them a heads up on the timing. Let me know if you need any help getting ready that day.

Speaking of that day are you thinking of doing a potluck or snacky foods at all? I'll bring stuff to stir up my plant swap chili if you are.

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How does September 24th sound? Noon - 3:00pm?? I thought we could do trades in front of the house in the driveway and anyone who wants to stay is welcome to come relax in the back yard. I thought I would have some drinks available and if anyone wants to bring snacks or anything that's fine too.

As for the trades, I will leave it up to each person whether their plants are for the taking or reserved for "agreement" type trades. If you are holding plants for "agreement" type trades please mark them as such or keep them in a seperate area, (car, back yard, under table, etc...) I will have a few folding tables avialable to put your plants on.

Let me know if this date sounds OK and if anyone has any other ideas. I will post directions soon.

Travis

• SunnySmiles51
    18 years ago

I have never been to one before and would love to come if the St Helens you are talking about is the one across from Longview?
    I live in Centralia Washington.
    I have rooting right now Butterfly Bushes, Trumpet Vine Orange and yellow.
    Lots of divided Dark Green Hostas unamed
    Cannas 6 or 7 different kinds
    Dahlias 4 or 5
    Other goodies.
    SunnySmiles51

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes it is the same St Helens. I am approx 25 minutes from Longview, 25 minutes from downtown Portland, 25 minutes from Hillsboro, etc... Hope everyone can make it!

Travis

• pdxjules
    18 years ago

Is Oct 1 too late or otherwise unworkable? I was thinking by waiting we might get some Dahlia tubers in that way...

Well we'd miss having barbE and Teresa on the 24th - due to the Isaquah Swap date, set earlier. And that would be a real loss - IMO - as they are active Garden Swappers.

That day there is also this event - that I had considered attending...but would put your Swap ahead of that.

Portland African Violet Society.
    Tabor Hts Meth Church, 6161 SE Stark
    Last Sats Sept-June, 12:30 p.m.
    demonstrations, programs. leaves to trade.

Just grist for the mill - since as Host -
    you get to decide! (there's another east-Seattle area Swap on Nov 5 - if that matters to anyone...)

Who's bringing Patty's chocolate this time?!

I'm awash in Seed and Borage starts - and need to prune back shrubs - somebody help me - and pledge to take cuttings, etc!

PdxJules
    503-809-9697 to come pick up stuff sooner

(happy today - cuz my first perfect white Anemone bloom has appeared! A BIG THANX to whoever brought it to an east Portland Spring Swap! I'd like to know the species name so I can propagate it...I assume seed saving is the way for this one?)

• wetearth
    18 years ago

Sept. 24th sounds good to me. Where is it being held? St. Helens somewhere?

Kim

• barbe_wa
    18 years ago

I would really hate to miss your first trade, but like I said, I have some committed trades in Issaquah that day. I could make it on October 1, but if you decide on the 24th, I'll have to wait until next time unfortunately.

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm easy... Oct. 1st is good with me. A word or warning though... I don't have hardly any dahlias anymore. Even if I did Oct 1 would be a little early to dig them. I find it best to wait a couple of weeks after the tops have died down from the first frost.

So I guess we will officially change it to Oct. 1 unless there are objections. Thanks!

Travis

• treepalm
    18 years ago

Hello Travis,
    I won't be able to make Oct. 1st, since it is my daughters birthday. It was kind of a long shot, driving all the way down there anyway, but thanks for thinking of Barb and I. I would have liked to see your dahlias, even if you don't have many anymore.
    Teresa

• barbe_wa
    18 years ago

Hi Travis,
    Thanks!
    Barb

• oldherb
    18 years ago

Cool...It's on the calendar. I'll post my swap list soon. I'll bring Hazelnut rosemary shortbread cookies.

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are a few things I'll have for trades:

Belemacanda (Blackberry Lily)
    Feijoa sellowiana (Pineapple Guava)
    Optunia species (Hardy pad-type cactus)
    Clematis tanguitica
    Hebe 'Autumn Glory'
    Hebe 'Variegata'
    Helleborus niger
    Groundcover sedums
    Eucalyptus gunnii
    Lots of other more common stuff too.

Travus

• Eucalyptusman
    18 years ago

Ok Here is a partial list on what goodies I have to trade....

Hardy provenanced plants

Callistemon pallidus- Lemon Bottlebrush-Dee why Lagoon CP Tas Zone 8

Eucalyptus All hardy Provenances......

Camphora-Wee Jasper Nsw Australia zone 8 Mtn Swamp gum

Lacrimans Blue form-Kiandra Plain Snowy Mtns RARE Zone 7-8 Weeping Alpine snow gum 0F at least

Pauciflora-Snowy mtns form...about 10F Zone 8

Rodwayii- Arthurs lake CP Tas Zone 7-8 Near 0F swamp black gum

Scoparia- Highest collection known 8-12F "Weeping white gum"

Albizia Rosea Hardy silk tree Parent tree survived -24F.. Dwarfer and hardier than the type

Albizia Tennessee- Another Hardy silk tree Survives -10F and has electric pink to pink flowers.... Nicer than the normal ... Also tends to be smaller than the Normal form

Callicarpa Alba- Collected at Spring grove Cemetery Cinti Ohio Zone 6a Uncommon and hardy beautyberry ... Theres more too many to list..... Email if you have any questions

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

EucMan, (Frank C.?), I'd love to trade you something for a Callistemon pallidus as well as a shorter, (under 20'), Eucalyptus. Let me know if you want to pre-arrange something. Thanks

Travis

• Eucalyptusman
    18 years ago

Yes its me... sure how many u want..... a few ... Yes under 20ft.... I have a nearly hardy Melaleuca "Australia tea tree"" THis one comes from a colder location from the mountains fo Tasmania..... If interested... email me ..... What special goodies secret goodies ?? LOL do you have to trade......

• oldherb
    18 years ago

Hello from Bend! (I'm taking a little vacation down here)
    Here's a start on my swap list.

Oca - Oxalis that produces ruby & cream colored edible tubers and also edible leaves!
    Yomugi (Artemisia princeps) salad herb from Japan/Korea
    Black Pussywillow - has black catkins
    Millium effusium 'Aureum' (chartreues grass)
    Red creeping Thyme (2- 1gal pots)
    Ornamental grass - I think it's 'Karl Forrester'
    Golden Feverfew (so cheery in early spring)
    'Foresgate' chives (flowers are PINK and leaves larger)
    Salvia officinalis 'Aurea'
    Orris root - bluish silver blooms - fixative for potpourri
    Crocosmia...the shorter form that is more bi-color - golden orange with with red.
    Mini bearded Iris 'Little Sister'
    Day lily - one dark red and one double orange
    Stachys - a dark leaved form that sports icy lavender blooms (great house plant).
    Cinnamon vine (Discoria batatus) has cinnamon scented creamy white flowers and edible tubers.
    I cannot remember the name of it but I also have starts of the Fuchsia that has those lovely golden & red leaves and seems to grow horizontally when young.

If Ben remembered to water them I will also have some late lettuce and kohlrabi starts.

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Black pussy willow?! Neat! Is the Fuchsia called 'Autumnale'? If so, that is reported to be root-hardy here.

Travis

• oldherb
    18 years ago

I think the Fuchsia is called that now that you meantion it and yes it even survived in a 4" container last year. It looks awesome with the dark leafed coleus as the colors really "pop". I have it in a mixed container and found that it was best to pinch it so I got more branching that would come up through the other foliage. I am training one as a standard...that should be very cool. Did I whet anyone's whistle?

The black pussywillow is originally from Japan, the catkins are a bit smaller, black with a hint of burgundy near the interior and is shorter than the traditional form most of us are familiar with. It's best planted where you can get some backlighting and is a real nice for floral design. I love mine. The parent plant is located at the Arnold Arboretum. I'm in the process of locating the latin name for it.

By the way I will put my entire swap list on my member's page tomorrow (Tues).

• barbe_wa
    18 years ago

Hey Travis,
    I need an address and directions to get to your place. Don and I are really looking forward to seeing it and doing a bit of trading. Send me an e-mail, okay?
    Thanks

• dahlia_guy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, here's directions:

38 Salmon St
    St Helens, OR 97051

From Portland:

Get on on Hwy 30 WEST (off of Hwy-405/Fremont Bridge)

Follow Hwy 30 WEST, (which will have several names along the way; Yeon Ave, St Helens Rd, etc...) approx 25 miles from Hwy 405 into the town of St Helens

Turn left on Columbia, 3rd light in town.

Turn right on Sunset, 2nd right

Turn right on Salmon, 2nd right

Third house on left, 38 Salmon St

From Westside PDX, (Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc...):

Take Cornelius Pass Rd to Hwy 30

Turn left (west) on Hwy 30

Follow Hwy 30 WEST, approx 10 miles into the town of St Helens

From North Ptld:

Take St Johns bridge to Hwy 30

Follow Hwy 30 WEST into the town of St Helens

From Longview:

Go across Lewis & Clark Bridge into Oregon

Head EAST on Hwy 30 into St Helens, (20 miles??)

Turn right on Columbia, 2nd light in town

Turn right on Salmon St, 2nd right

Call with any questions, 503-366-1889

See you Saturday Noon-3pm

Travis

• pdxjules
    18 years ago

Does anyone want to meet me in Northeast Portland for car-pooling in my truck - or would you prefer to take riders who help pay gas? (Arco nearby always has lowest price in the area)

I am also bringing:

Grand Fir Saplings (large trees when mature)

Forget-me-Nots

Evening Primrose (yellow bloom, to 4')

Columbine

"Lance Corporal" Persicaria Virginiana (a pretty Fall/summer foliage shrub (throws seed widely)

Irish Moss

Some rootable cuttings from:
    several standard Rhodies,
    Magnolia, and
    standard shrub Rosemary.

Please request seed or other stuff from my list, if interested!

• oldherb
    18 years ago

I will be unable to make the swap tomorrow (sigh)...it's a long story. Julie and Barb...I will save your requested plants out and meet up with you in the next week or two (Barb that means the breakfast date we have been hoping for). Travis...I'm so sorry to miss your first event. Hope it is a good time and the rains will hold off for the day or at least let up a bit.
    Patty