Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejoy2

HAVE: Olympia Fall Plant Swap

bejoy2
10 years ago

The date for this year's Fall Swap is Sept 21. I'm considering changing the location to the nursery where I work. It's on the way to my development - you have to drive past it to get to my house, so it's not far. The nursery is closed for the season, however, so there are no restroom facilities. Watch this space.

Comments (33)

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's official! The trade this year will be from 10 AM to 1 PM on Sept 21 at Johnson's Nursery. The address is 7032 Spurgeon Ceek Road SE in Olympia. If you usually come to my trade via the Yelm Hwy, then you pass right by it. There are 2 hoophouses that attendees can use to set out their plants. They aren't heated, but they offer shelter in case of rain. The downside is that tailgating is going to be difficult if not impossible, depending on how many people attend. The upside is that I won't have to move any plants. For me, this is a HUGE time- and labor-saver. For attendees, it means they will have access to plants they otherwise wouldn't, because they take too much time or effort to move. This includes some good-sized trees. This might be the only time I have the trade at the nursery, depending on the feedback I get.

• oliveoyl3
    10 years ago

T,
    Great idea to have it at the nursery, so you won't have to haul so many plants.

I regret we will have to miss out this year since that's the weekend our 4-H club kids are showing poultry at the Puyallup Fair. If I can work it out I'll send a friend.

C.

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

Darn! I am out of town that weekend! And... I have (finally) been potting things up rather than waiting for the last minute! I hope the event goes well. I am considering hosting the Spring Oly trade (as we discussed at the last trade). I'm an easy 1/2 mile off I-5 in Tumwater.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Here are the plants I'm taking up to Tammy's tomorrow for her fall swap on the 21st. Don and I won't be able to attend, but we sincerely hope some gardeners will take these and enjoy them. The only thing I'm looking for in trade is gallon and larger pots. There are several of some of these, a couple of others and one of a lot of them.
    Carnation chabaud
    Pansy Clear Crystal Black
    Perennial geranium
    Lychnis flos-cuculi (Ragged Robin)
    Dianthus (tall red, rose and mix)
    Echinacea paradoxa
    Lemon savory
    Echinacea (parent was Double Decker but it won't bloom true, I'm sure)
    Pheasant berry
    Liatris spicata
    Mint (unknown variety but smells good)
    Ratibida pinnata (Yellow prairie coneflower)
    Echinacea tennessenus (Tenn. coneflower)
    Solanum aviculare (Kangaroo apple)
    Corydalis lutea
    Verbena hastate (Rose Vervain)
    Raspberries (Heritage everbearing)
    Vinca minor
    Lemon balm
    Columbine (open pollinated so unknown bloom colors)
    Corsican mint
    Red daylilies
    Sisyrinchium striatum (this is the one with the tall spikes not the cute little yellow blooms)
    Purple violet
    Several dahlias which may or may not be as labeled.

You will have to let Tammy know if there's anything you want her to set aside for you.

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

I am new to swaps here in WA, but I used to attend when I lived in Colorado, and I'm looking forward to coming in September! I still know very little about so many of the beautiful things that grow here, and I'll have to see what I might have growing here that others might like.

I am looking for perennial edibles right now- berries, nuts, herbs, etc. I would really like some native hazelnut starts if anybody has some.

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

greenbean08, I have filberts and Barb and Don brought raspberries. I also have some herbs, including lemon verbena and French tarragon. I'm happy to set some aside for you.

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you bejoy2, that would be wonderful!

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

I should have some Egyptian Walking Onions to bring, as well as some assorted seeds, and probably a few books if I can find where I put them.

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

I should have some Egyptian Walking Onions to bring, as well as some assorted seeds, and probably a few books if I can find where I put them.

• OlyCamasu
    10 years ago

I am just building my gardens so have limited offerings this year:
    - a small (for now) forsythia,
    - some native creeping blackberry, and
    - many, many 1-gallon pots, plus some larger ones.
    In terms of what people have listed that they're bringing, I'd love to pick up
    - perennial geranium (is that ballerina geranium?)
    - French tarragon
    - Corsican mint
    - purple violet
    - Lychnis flos-cuculi (Ragged Robin)
    - verbena hastata, and
    - Sisyrinchium striatum.
    I'm also interested in filling in holes with:
    - autumn sedum,
    - yarrow,
    - walker's low catmint,
    - sage,
    - rosemary, and
    - blue oat grass.
    Whatever I end up sharing and picking up, this sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OlyCamasu, Barb will take your 1-gallon pots in exchange for the following:

perennial geranium (I have no idea if it's ballerina geranium. It is a large-leaved hardy geranium), purple violet, Lychnis flos-cuculi (Ragged Robin), Corsican mint and Sisyrinchium striatum. I think the verbena hastata is all gone, but I'll check.

I can use your larger pots in exchange for some autumn joy sedum, yarrow and tricolor sage. We'll try to have some rosemary cuttings for propagation and/or cooking. I don't have much French tarragon, and I already promised some to greenbean08 but I'll look.

• OlyCamasu
    10 years ago

bejoy2,
    Thank you for arranging the exchanges. Don't worry about the rosemary or French tarragon. I'll have plenty to do for this season with all the other plants!
    See you in a couple weeks ~

• treepalm
    10 years ago

I'll be there, but I'll be late. Could you save me some
    Liatris spicata
    Echinacea paradoxa
    Corydalis lutea
    Sisyrinchium striatum
    Lychnis flos-cuculi
    Dianthus
    Pheasant berry
    I have a bunch of colchium bulbs to pot up. Let me know if anyone wants some and I'll put your name on it. I will go looking for things that people have posted that they want. I'm looking for shade plants and plants that bees like.
    Treepalm

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OlyCamasu, I will try to have some rooted rosemary and French tarragon cuttings for you. I was going to take some after the plant trade, anyway, for myself, so I'll just take them early.

treepalm, I can set aside evereything on your list for you except maybe the ragged robin. I will look to see if the one I have can be divided, and if so, I'll share it with you. Otherwise, I have regular catchfly right now, and I can take cuttings of the ragged robin for you at the November trade. I think I can also find a goldenrod 'Summer Showers' for the bees, too. May I have some fall crocus?

Tammy/bejoy2

• treepalm
    10 years ago

I'll be there, but I'll be late. Could you save me some
    Liatris spicata
    Echinacea paradoxa
    Corydalis lutea
    Sisyrinchium striatum
    Lychnis flos-cuculi
    Dianthus
    Pheasant berry
    I have a bunch of colchium bulbs to pot up. Let me know if anyone wants some and I'll put your name on it. I will go looking for things that people have posted that they want. I'm looking for shade plants and plants that bees like.
    Treepalm

• treepalm
    10 years ago

Tammy, How many fall crocus do you want? I have a dozen pots with 3 to 4 bulbs in each so far. I could easily double that with all the bulbs I have.
    Treepalm

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will take as many as you are willing to give away. I usually donate all the extra plants to organizations like the Olympia Garden Club, South Puget Sound Community College, The Chase Garden, and Master Gardener's for their plant sales. I'll take them loose or in a clump, if you want to save your pots and conserve space so you can bring more plants to the trade.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

I would really like to have 3 or 5 of the fall crocus bulbs if you would save them for me, Tammy. I will see you at the Green Elephant or before. Thanks.

• treepalm
    10 years ago

My sister is coming, too. She will bring your pots back then, Tammy. I'll pot all the crocus up, so nothing eats them.

• OlyCamasu
    10 years ago

Does anyone have use of plastic carriers that hold 6 one-gallon pots? There is a stack of them sitting out on the sidewalk for free near my house, and I'm happy to pick them up if anyone could use them.

• mabiebaby
    10 years ago

Hi! I have several dendrobium keikis (orchid babies) I was hoping to find new homes for, if anyone is interested. I know most of the stuff at these trades are for outdoors only, but was hoping there would be a few orchid folks out there too. I have a few other things, but not much (a couple rose of sharons, some dianthus, odds and ends).
    Thanks and see you all there!
    Stacey

• treepalm
    10 years ago

Stacey, What color are your Rose of Sharons? I'd be interested in them. What are you looking for?
    Teresa

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

mabiebaby, I would like to try one of your orchids. I have never had one, but I like them. I have very few houseplants right now (had to give most away due to moving) so I've got room for some indoor pretties.

• mabiebaby
    10 years ago

Teresa, the rose of sharons were random seedlings, so I haven't seen them bloom yet unfortunately. They are in 1-gallon sized pots now, so hopefully they will be blooming size next year, but it will have to be a surprise, sorry. I'm not looking for anything specifically, just fairly low-growing perennials mostly. I like blue, yellow, and white blooming things. Maybe something that would drape over a retaining wall.
    Greenbean, I will bring several orchid babies then since there is some interest. They are only a couple inches tall, but are well rooted, and will grow fast. They will have pretty lavender and white blooms when mature, and will enjoy a south window. They are easy care, I only water mine a little once a week.
    Stacey

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barb, I'll save you some colchicum bulbs. A lady I spoke to today said she would be bringing some Siberian iris whose new leaves are dark blue, and they stay blue until they are about half of the mature height. She says the flowers aren't much to look at, but the leaves are stunning. I'll get a couple of them for you.

• treepalm
    10 years ago

Tammy, could you save me a little piece of that iris? It sounds wonderful.
    Mabiebaby, I have a blue flowering ground cover that drapes over walls very nicely. I've been trying to remember it's name and finally did: Veronica pedunculata I have at least a 2 foot by 2 foot section that I want to dig out. I'll can put them in plastic bags so that I can bring more. I would love one of the Rose of sharons.

Olycamasu, I have a perennial oregano that I can bring for you. If you need more then one hazel nut, I can dig some up for you. I also have native red huckleberry, if you are interested.

• treepalm
    10 years ago

I'm not going to be able to make it to the trade. I'm having dizzy spells and won't take the risk of having one while driving. I'm trying to get a hold of my sister to see if she can pick up my pots. If not, I'll bring them to the green elephant. Wish I could be there!
    Teresa

• rachierabbit
    10 years ago

Thanks for hosting such a wonderful swap Tammy/Bejoy2! I had fun this afternoon figuring out where to put all of my "new to me" plants! Rachel

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teresa, you were missed. Hope you're feeling better. We'll bring your plants to the Green Elephant. Please tell LaDonna that we have her pampas grass, but I thought it was yours, so I didn't pass it along to her. We'll bring that to the GE, too.

Rachel, thanks for coming. I have a trade every September. I used to have one in April, too, but I think last spring's was the last one I'm having, because it's too much trouble to haul the plants. Barb and Don Engel have one in Kelso every spring, so we decided to divide the labor. They usually post on GardenWeb, so be on the lookout beginning in April. See you at the Green Elephant, and if I need help hauling plants, I'll give you a holler.

Barb and Don, hope you're enjoying your family time. Most of your plants were given away, with the exception of the Kerria, but it'll be very popular at the March Green Elephant. Drive safely home, and see you in November.

Tammy/bejoy2

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

Tammy,
    Thank you so much for hosting the swap and for helping me find such a nice variety of plants! My husband was very happy to see that I came home with rhubarb & asparagus. :-)

I'll return pots & flats next time we head that way for a burger.
    Amy

This post was edited by greenbean08 on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 0:03

• OlyCamasu
    10 years ago

Yes, another resounding thank you to Tammy for putting this on! I had a blast, and can't wait to watch what happens with all the new 'friends' I'm putting in my garden.
    Catherine/OlyCamasu

• David
    9 years ago

I am interested in any spring Elephant swap meets being planned in the Olympia area. I have a lot of unusual dormant vitis (Grape) plants and dormant grape scionwood and am eager to meet with other fruit hobbyists. Am especially into muscat flavored and red wine hybrid vitis.

David

West Olympia, WA

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

The spring Green Elephant swap is this Saturday, March 7, in Redmond. And I have a swap

in May in Kelso, but I don't have a date yet. I'll post it some time in April.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting