Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firevicar

HAVE: Green Elephant Plant Swap first Saturday in November

firevicar
19 years ago

The Fall Eastside Green Elephant Plant Swap is the place to trade the bounty of your gardens. All those seeds youÂve been gathering all fallÂbring them. All those dahlias, cannas, potatoes, tubers and rhizomes of any kind: before you go to the trouble of storing them for the winterÂleverage them to trade. All those half-hardy or tender perennials, the brugmansias, fuscias, etc.: make cuttings andÂbring them to trade. Yard art, birdhouses, wind chimes. Consider this your gardening Christmas bazaar to find cool presents for your gardening friends and for yourself.

Comments (46)

• sweetflowers
    19 years ago

Thank you Jim for organizing such a wonderful event. A newbie like me got loads of free plants in the last swap. Hopefully I will be able to bring in some to trade this time.

Sangeeta

• treepalm
    19 years ago

I'll bring dahlia tubers.
    Teresa

• chrisrobt
    19 years ago

I can bring hesperantha and dahlia tubers (if they've been dug).

Christine

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

And we're off.

Looks like the Green Elephant will be a good place to find dahlias.

Any Cannas and Brugmansias out there?

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Elephant Plant Swap

• cathay
    19 years ago

I'm interested in attending. Here is my updated list of goodies.
    PLANTS I HAVE TO TRADE
    starflower bulbs
    lingonberry plants
    wintergreen
    salal
    sweet woodruff
    hellebore seedlings Âtoothed, shrubby, some from a heavily variegated Mom, some from a green Mom.
    black eyed susan - the shorter one, Goldsturm
    Johnsons Blue geranium
    Stella d'oro daylily, and other un-named daylilies, yellow and peach.
    London Pride-variegated and solid green
    heuchera with green leaves, white flower; I don't remember the name.
    native bleeding heart
    crocismia Lucifer
    catmint
    climbing hydrangea
    golden feverfew
    golden and green oregano
    siberian iris
    G. nimbus seedlings; probably not going to look exactly like the parent, but could be cute!.
    Pink, low-growing geranium; one of the good named varieties, I just canÂt remember just which one.
    Valeriana phu
    Pulmonaria-various kinds, if you are interested IÂll describe them.
    Euphorbia mrysinites
    Threadleaf coreopsis
    Rosa Rugosa ÂalbaÂ; I moved the mother shrub, and this one came up from the roots.
    Dahlias-one a lovely salmon color, one a vibrant coral/apricot, one red with white tips (or is it white with red tips? ItÂs not blooming right now, and I canÂt remember.). I am not good at keeping dahlias alive over the winter, so I would like to hand these over just as soon as I take them up.

PLANTS I AM LOOKING FOR
    fuchsia Charming, Tennessee Waltz, or other hardy, large flowered fuchsias.
    Pusillius, pennisetum Little Bunny, or P. Orientale
    Any of the orienpet lilies- I donÂt have any and just want to try one or two. Color doesnÂt matter.
    Any fun geranium. I have buying them as I can afford them, but I always have room for more, as long as they can tolerate some drought and donÂt seed all over the place.
    Ditto with pulmonarias. I like the ones with a lot of white or silver in their leaves, like Pulmonaria 'majeste'.
    blue meconopsis
    Cinnamon or Royal fern
    Lycoris squamigera-magic lily, hardy amaryllis
    Stokesia Laevis 'Klaus Jelitto'
    hepatica
    red flowering currant

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Hey, Cathy! I'm going to try real hard to attend this one, and I'll bet I can find all kinds of Geraniums for you!

• cathay
    19 years ago

Doris, that's great. I do love geraniums.
    Teresa, I looked at your list, and saw some stuff I'm interested in. Candelabra primrose, bee balm, digitalis luteum, and penstemon. Looking at your list I realized that I also have a blue tradescantia to trade. It's a good, healthy plant, but for some reason, it just doesn't ring my chimes.
    Cathy

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm looking for some rooted cuttings of hardy fuchsia and brugmansias (not pink).
    I'd like to get some of those tiger striped cannas.
    Also that golden variety of petasites frigidus 'palmatum'.

I have some red flowered currant seedlings. And today I collected a small amount of seed for a blue meconopsis, not sure of the species. FireVicar

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Elephant Plant Swap.

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Hey, Firevicar, you mean like this?

{{gwi:682342}}

This is my Petasites palmatum 'Golden Palms' (probably the same thing). If you'd like some, I'd be glad to pot some up for you!

• cathay
    19 years ago

more stuff to trade: a rooted weeping willow branch, and white and pink phlox. Also, white and pink japanese anemones. I wouldn't recommend the pink for a tidy garden, as it spreads. But for someone who has a shady place, and a fondness for an unstructured look, it's great.

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm looking for white flowers, especially white mondarda, coumbine, anemone and phlox.

I have hot pink phlox and a washed lavendar blue.

And that golden palms petasites is wonderful--what I'd like to see growing in my swamp.

I also have several pots of seed sown for the white flowered Japanese skunk cabbage, fresh from a July trade.

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Firevicar, I'd be glad to bring you some Golden Petasites. Can I have a pot of the white flowering Skunk cabbage?

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

White flowered skunk cabbage, sure. It's seed sown, nothing growing yet. Minimum 25 seeds. I understand you get almost 100% germination early next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Thistledown_Farm
    19 years ago

Jim my seeds are germinating in the plastic bag in the refrigerator!!! I'm going to go down to the swampy area of my creek and dig some soil to plant them in.
    Yeee Hawwww

• cathay
    19 years ago

Jim, I'll bring you some white anemones and white phlox. I also have some white columbine, and I can dig up a bit for you.
    Cathy

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Sangeeta for the note about people who are just starting and have little or nothing to trade. Come to the Green Elephant even if you have little or nothing to trade. This is a sharing event as much as anything.

And if you have a bushel of something that's overgrown and you want to get rid of it, bring it to the swap. I gave away a bushel of crocosmia corms last March. (there's two more bushels growing where I thinned them.)

• grrrnthumb
    19 years ago

I should be able to bring a few Brugmansia sanguinea, the rare red brugmansia. Probably a yellow/orange brug, Charles Grimaldi. I should also have several divisions of perennials, and a few more tropicals like giant flowered (10") red epiphyllum, maybe a couple orchids, and a bannana tree or two.
    I'm hoping to find anything tropical or with a tropical look, like striped cannas.

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Who was it who brought all that butterfly ginger last March? Was it Jeff of West Seattle?

Take a look at this if you like big tropicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verbesina microptera

• cathay
    19 years ago

Grrr, Is Fuscia 'Black Prince' hardy? If so, I would like one. I have hollyhock seeds to trade, and small plants as well, if you are interested.
    cathy
    P.S. add catmint, stella d'oro, and short or tall daisies to my plant trade (or give away) list.

• grrrnthumb
    19 years ago

Sorry Cathay, it's about average for a fuscia. Not winter hardy at all. If you can keep them over the winter they're great plants though. :)

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Just keeping the post alive on the forum. All the best for the Lake Tapps Trade and the Seattle Swap on Oct. 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Upated trade list

• cathay
    19 years ago

I'm not sure about the spelling, but I just dug mine up and divided it into many pieces. I'll bring some with me for open trading even if I don't hear from anyone on it.
    Cathy

• darrensprincess
    19 years ago

Can anyone attend this trade? I am new - going to my first trade tomorrow (Lake Tapps) but this sounds like a lot of fun! Let me know and I can get a list together too!

Thanks - darrensprincess

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dear darrensprincess,

The Green Elephant is wide open. Please bring yourself and a friend. Please feel free to call me for questions or details. I'm in the office Tues-Friday, 9-4, 425-885-5822. Have you seen the main web page with all the info?
    All the best,

FireVicar
    Jim Eichner

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Elephant Main Page

• darrensprincess
    19 years ago

Thank you firevicar. I have a striped canna as well as Canna grande. I think I still have a Brugmansia (yellow/orange) and lots of Dahlias to bring. I will get my list together and let everyone know soon!

Thank you - darrensprincess

• cathay
    19 years ago

I have variegated vinca, 3 large chunks of pink geranium, variegated hosta, shiny solid green hosta, small-leaf green ivy with yellow marbleing, ornamental strawberry.

I have been energentically dividing and planting and stashing plants for this trade. I hope we get a good turnout! I don't want to bring anything back home.

• michelelee
    19 years ago

I have a few plants, some dahlia (love them but want different colors) but I have mostly seeds. Anyone looking for those? Jim, I will be there with my seeds for your impatiens!!
    Going to try to take cuttings from wiegelia bristol ruby , mock orange and halls honeysuckle. Michele

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My seed list is growing, and I intend to bring seed packets to the swap. Lots of perennials to dig and divide toward the end of Oct.

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I will be there, I have more alstromeria, lupine, peaches & cream miniature roses, orange day lillies, some mixed iris bulbs, pink, yellow & gold, lt blue purple and white. orange hybrid lillies some astilbe that hasn't liked my yard. Thankyou to the person I got the dahlias and japanese lantern from last year they both are putting on quite a show
    Thankyou Carol

• Thistledown_Farm
    19 years ago

I will be digging a large clump of Darmera this fall so will have several trades of it to bring. Who knows what else I'll come up with....
    Linda

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Speaking of white flower, Fire Vicar, I dug up a Hydrangea paniculata today. Quite large. And some Geranium sanguineum 'Album'. I'm giving Fire Vicar first dibs on the Hydrangea, and I do have several of the white Geranium.

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is Verbesina Microptera, which has a tropical look. All foliage, no flowers. To 10 feet tall. Makes a dramatic display as a backdrop. I have three to trade. Anyone interested?

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A couple of people have asked for Verbesina microptera, so I will bring two or three.

BTW I have a lot of seeds harvested and packaged for the trade. Hope to swap some seeds with folks.

FireVicar

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    19 years ago

How many people do we anticipate will be at the swap? I don't have any plants to trade so will be bringing gifts of food :-). Just want to make sure I bring enough. Was also wondering if any of you have hydrangeas you would mind bringing me cuttings of? Any kind would be great, but I would absolutely love to try one of the lace cap variety. Back in Lousiana where I lived before moving to Washington hydrangeas only bloom late spring for a relatively short period. It was a pleasant surprise to see the long blooming period they have here. Anyways, looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting some new faces. The Lake Tapps trade was great. Thanks again all for your generosity. Everything I got at the trade seems to be taking root quite nicely.

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have four of these Brugs with roots in pots, and numerous cuttings.

FireVicar

• Gunnar's Mom
    19 years ago

Hello All:

I have the following to bring:
    black stemmed clumping bamboo (2-3 small clumps)
    green stemmed running bamboo (2-3 small clumps)
    rudbekia goldstrum - blackeyed Susan (3 - in 1g pots)
    pink columbine (5 - 4" pots)
    Cortaderia selloana-Pampas Grass verigated (2 - 1g pots)
    Festuca glauca - Blue Fescue (2 - 1g pots)
    Phalaris arundinacea - ribbon grass (I can dig if anyone is interested)

I'm looking for too much stuff, but would like the following:
    Pennisetum - any variety esp "Moudry"
    Hakonechloa - any variety
    Miscanthus sinensis - shorter varieties

See you Sat! -Janine

• Thistledown_Farm
    19 years ago

I would really love a small clump of black bamboo if anyone has any to trade.
    I will be bringing:
    Penstemons tenius, pinifolius, whippleanus and kunthii
    Riverside Grapes (Vitis riparia)
    Basye's Purple Rose
    Hedysarum coronarium
    Darmera peltatum
    Brugmansia versicilor peach (cuttings and a couple of plants)
    Maybe some Crambe cordifolia babies too.
    I'll bring many other odds and ends as well.
    I can bring seeds from my seed list too if you want to see it please e-mail me and I will send it to you.
    Linda
    Thistledown Farm

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Linda,
    I would love some of your penstemons! If there is anything that you might be looking for, let me know and I will see if I have any.

I will be bringing for anyone who would like some:
    red beebalm
    blue spiderwort
    varigated mint
    2 or 3 pink geraniums
    some roses-mostly red or pink
    yellow patio dahlia
    patio dahlia-forgot color
    named dahlias if they have gone dormant by then
    devil's paintbrush
    4 o'clocks yellow w/pink spots and pink
    deer ferns-if anyone requests them

Teresa

• chrisrobt
    19 years ago

Firevicar, might you be interested in some white primulas? I got a bunch in a trade last year and could easily dig a couple plants.

My dahlias are not out of the ground yet, so I won't have any for the trade. I'm bringing some ajuga for Susan and will bring along some hesperantha as well. I have loads of variegated periwinkle which needs to be dug...

Christine

• grrrnthumb
    19 years ago

Darn this mild weather! :) Sounds like it isn't going to be cold enough yet for anyone to bring dahliahs yet. I was hoping to get some this year.

• cathay
    19 years ago

I can bring some dahlias. I can't promise they're going to grow, but I've dug some up.
    Linda, would you put my name on a penstemon pinifolius? I'd like to give it a try in my teeny weeny little rock garden.
    Cathy

• firevicar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will bring about 100 packets of seeds to trade and give out. What I have is posted on my seed list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Elephant Home Page

• heatherisnotaweed
    19 years ago

Theresa, I would love some deer fern. I have nothing to trade, but I can bake you some cookies if you like :-)
    Heather

ps. Doris, I have lost your e.mail address! Are you going to the trade? we should carpool!!

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Heather,
    I will be glad to bring you some deer fern. I'll dig a few while I'm out there. No cookies needed!
    Teresa

• heatherisnotaweed
    19 years ago

Thanks Teresa :-)
    I missed the Lake Tapps trade because of spraining my ankle, so I'm so excited about this one!!

• grrrnthumb
    19 years ago

Linda it sounds like you're bringing some great plants. I see you have one kind of brugmansia. Would you like to add a yellow B. 'Charles Grimaldi'?

Does anyone grow nicotiana alata that they could harvest me some seed? I'm not looking for the short varietes, or the colored ones, or sylvestris, but just the plain old fashioned tall fragrant alata. One strain we used to have was n. alata 'fragrant cloud'. Would love to find that or something similar. Many thanks.

- Tom