Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejoy2

2011 Olympia Fall Plant Trade

bejoy2
12 years ago

The date is set for the Olympia Fall Plant Trade. September 17, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The address is 8001-A Thrulake Circle SE, Olympia, WA 98513.

Tammy

Comments (13)

• mabiebaby
    12 years ago

Hi there -- I live in Tumwater. I have never been to a plant trade, but would love to check it out. Is it open to anyone? Any advice for a somewhat young/novice gardener who has never been at a trade? I have some stuff I could trade--rhody seedlings for example. I'm sure I could think of other things.

• merrygardener
    12 years ago

Darn, I don't think I'll be able to make it that weekend, but will pot some things up just in case my plans change.... or I may attend the trade in Kelso. Mabiebaby- I was a bit reticent to attend my first year but even though I had just a few things to share, the kind gardeners showered me with plants, advice and confidence- it was great fun!

• mabiebaby
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. It does sound fun, I can't wait! I have thought of some other things I could share and put them on My Page (do people really look at that?)
    So, what size plants do folks typically bring--gallon size, 4" pots, etc? I have lots of little things in yogurt cups. But if I dig something like daisies, that could fill a whole box or bucket. Any suggestions for how much to bring? I don't want to bring too little and disappoint, or bring too much and be overwhelmed.
    Thanks again.

• treepalm
    12 years ago

mabiebaby,
    Yes, we do look at your page! You have a good trade list. I need to update mine. The size of the plant depends on what you have. When you are setting up trades, just let the trader know if it is a small pot so they know what to expect. People do bring plants in boxes or bags, too. You can always ask how much someone would like for something like daisies. When I'm digging pretrades I usually pot up 2 or 3 extra of the plants that I have trades for so I have extra to trade when I get there. Trades are very fun. I'm not sure which one I'll be going to yet, but if I come to this one I would love to trade with you.

• bejoy_gw
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Sorry aobut the date change..but as often happens..life situations can and often do change. But...on the up-side ..it gives all of us more time to prepare!! *G*

Hope to see many of you in mid October. I will have many things to trade....share....and put in the free pile. Bejoy

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The new date for the trade is October 15. The clubhouse rental is confirmed. See you all October 15th!
    Tammy

• treepalm
    12 years ago

bump

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

I hope you all have a great time at the swap tomorrow. We're in Dallas, TX for Don's military reunion so we can't make it this time, but we hope to see all of you at the Green Elephant in November.

• bejoy2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Howdy, all. So excited about tomorrow's trade. For those of you who need directions, they are as follows:

From Southbound I-5, take exit 109, at the bottom of the ramp turn right onto Martin Way. Get immediately into one of the left turn lanes. At the next light, turn left onto College Street.

From Northbound I-5, take exit 108. The ramp has 3 exits - keep left to College Street/St. Martin's Abbey and University. At the light, turn right.

Once on College Street, continue straight as the street numbers count up. In the roundabout at 45th Ave, take the 2nd exit to continue straight on College Street. At the 2nd light (Safeway and Burger King are on your left), turn left onto the Yelm Highway.

On the Yelm Highway, get in the right lane and follow the street around a 90-degree right turn. Immediately get into the left lane and follow the road as it makes a left turn (Watch your speed here, as the road is not banked correctly).

When the road straightens out, you will go over a viaduct above AmTrak and BNSF Railroad tracks. The AmTrak Station is below and to your left.

Continue straight, past the Tree Farm, Country Green Turf Farm and Van's Burger Stand. At the Texaco, turn right onto Spurgeon Creek Road.

Follow Spurgeon Creek Road to 80th. Turn right onto 80th.

Go up the hill past the fire station and follow the signs. This time, someone's left hand didn't know what someone else's right hand was doing, so although I was promised the clubhouse, it turns out that it had already been committed. Cross your fingers for good weather, because we are once again having the trade at the ball field.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

We're coming & bringing plants I dug up today that have sown themselves here, so are easy care in our climate. I have a few others that were already potted & am bringing those, too.

Natives: lady fern & fringcup, Tellima grandiflora
    Culinary: thyme & spearmint
    Perennials: Corydalis lutea, Irish Moss, showy Sedum, golden feverfew
    Biennials: Rose Campion, Common Foxglove, Forget-me-not
    Will add more to the car in the morning.

We're looking for:
    part shade plants especially spring bloomers
    deer resistant/drought tolerant sun shrubs & perennials esp. blooming May - October for parents' Whidbey home
    groundcovers especially pachysandra (Japanese spurge)

I can always find room for any pink blooming plant especially the bright pinks!

• madhu
    12 years ago

Bejoy,

What is the ball field address or the name that I should be looking at? As this is my first time, making sure that I find the place.

Regards,
    Madhu

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Go to the address as 1st posted to then follow Bejoy's signs to your right. The ball field is on your left.

• madhu
    12 years ago

Bejoy - Thank you so much for organizing the plant trade. We had so much fun at the trade and then exploring olympia too. I am looking forward to lots of planting tomorrow and hopefully by next fall, I will have lots of plants to share too.

Regards,
    Madhu

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor