You are invited to

in

Redmond, Washington

Saturday November 3, 2007

10 am to Noon

Dahlia Workshop & Exchange

Winter Seed Sowing
Article about the Green Elephant Plant Swap

Rain or shine gardeners from around Puget Sound gather to exchange and share plants, seeds, ideas and enthusiasm with others. No Sales. Just trades or freebies, please.

The Green Elephant is a twice-a-year plant exchange; first Saturday in March, first Saturday in November. It is hosted in North Redmond, Washington, at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross; The site offers parking, covered areas, indoor facilities, kitchen, lots of lawn, and playground. ItÂs five minutes from I-405 and I-520.

Directions and Maps to the Church of the Holy Cross

Cell Phone 425-223-7249

street address is:

11526 - 162nd Ave NE

Redmond, WA 98052

Tailgating Encouraged The format for the trade is like a tailgate party. You just pull into the parking lot and open up your trunk to display your treasures. Traders exchange expert gardening information as well as plant materials. In two hours all the deals are sealed.

Free Stuff Many gardeners generously share plants from the abundance of their gardens--An excellent way to begin your garden. There is always a pile of plants free for the taking at the swap.

In pots or bare root.The Green Elephant is convenient for trading bare root plants. Simply dig and divide perennials bare root to trade. They are dormant and can be transplanted with no shock.

Winter Seed Sowing You can increase your gardens dramatically by winter seed sowing collected seeds. Your bring the pots, the rest is provided. Volunteers will be on hand to show you how itÂs done. Soil and seeds are provided. You can come home with many new varieties of plants and hundreds of future seedlings by winter sowing.

Dahlia Demonstration Do you grow dahlias? Dig your clumps of dahlias and learn how to divide, preserve, catalog and store them through the winter. A dahlia tuber exchange will increase your dahlia varieties too.

Take a walk in our beautiful memorial garden and see the dried flower arrangement in the church.

What if I have nothing to bring to the trade?

The swap is a great place to start your garden. Many traders love to help new gardeners get started. Come and ask questions, get advice, schmooze a little and youÂll walk away with some goodies. Bring some homemade cookies; gardeners are a pushover for food.

Comments (18)

• thane
    16 years ago

Woohoo, my second Green Elephant! Thanks for organizing these, Jim. I loved the first one.

Now how do I edit the trade list in my profile? I haven't been able to figure that out, despite being normally considered internet-savvy!

• grrrnthumb
    16 years ago

Thane go to the main forum page (or any main page) and there will be a link near the bottom for the "member services page". Then click "Edit Your Exchange Lists".

I'll be there Jim. Ready for a new brugmansia? :)
    - Tom

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

Or two new brugmansias?! lol

• daisy12
    16 years ago

I wonder if there may be some brugmansias for a newbie??

Sharon

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon...you have GW email!

There probably will be cuttings offered to newbies. There may even be a brief presentation to introduce newbies to the wonders of brugmansias. Details are being worked on now.

Patrick

• grrrnthumb
    16 years ago

We'll get you one for sure Daisy. :)
    - Tom

• daisy12
    16 years ago

Help!! I do not know where or how to find my GW mail!!! Talk about Green!

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    GW forwards emails to you that we send while in the forum. You should have received a regular email from me, just routed to you via GW. Didn't receive anything?

Patrick

• daisy12
    16 years ago

No, I did not get anything.

Sharon

• grrrnthumb
    16 years ago

I believe GW's email feature might be broken. I know many people have been having trouble with it.

• daisy12
    16 years ago

OK thanks, I thought it was just me! I hope it will be up and running soon.

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

Sharon, my comcast.net email addrs is patricklee888 if you'd like to email me...then I can return an email to you. You excluded your email address from you GW profile, so the only way I can reach you is by using their (inoperative?) email forwarding system.

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

There are several brugmansia (Angel's Trumpets) enthusiasts in the Puget Sound area. Some of us will meet at the Green Elephant swap to exchange cuttings.

If there is advance indication that people are interested in learning a little more about these wonderfully addictive plants, with their exotic beauty and amazing fragrance, a brief introductory talk and propagation demonstration will be offered about 11:15AM.

Learn about where these plants come from, how they're grown in our area (greenhouse NOT required!), their growing requirements, how they're propagated, brugmansia forums and society web sites, brugmansia nurseries, etc.

Do you already grow brugmansias? This is a great opportunity to meet friendly fellow enthusiasts. Connections made here may well lead to new friends and/or future trades! This is a very informal get-together...come join us.

IMPORTANT:
    If you are interested in hearing a brief talk, as mentioned above, please email me. We will put together this talk only if enough visitors reply about wanting to attend.
    {{gwi:683089}}

(click image for larger view...then place cursor in lower right corner of pic & click the button that appears)

Patrick

patricklee888 at comcast dot net

• daisy12
    16 years ago

Patrick,
    This sounds great! Count me in, and I will email you also!
    Thanks, Sharon

• pixydish
    16 years ago

Count me in, too. I would email you, but comcast thinks my email address is from a spammer and generally bounces it back. (I'm NOT a spammer, incidently. It's entirely aggravating.) But put me down for a 'yes' vote!

• Patrick888
    16 years ago

Pixydish...I did receive your email. But if anyone is unable to reach me that way, I have created a new thread entirely about brugs and this get-together...you can respond to me in THAT thread.

Patrick

• lawrenceliu
    16 years ago

My kids' soccer games end at 10:30AM, so I will do everything I can to make it there by 11. I'm a newbie in the area. Moved up 2 years ago. Bought a house with a big yard. Just starting to get the landscaping going. Looking for plants. Have some to share like Japanese maple treelets (1-2 year old baby trees), hostas, and others that I don't know the names for. :-) Looking forward to meeting everyone.

• jitterbug_gardener
    16 years ago

I will be at the exchange for the first time and I got my first brug from FireVicar last week. I'm thrilled as these are totally new to me (where have I been?). Patrick, I would love to learn more.

Katie59 (davesgarden)
    jitterbug_gardener (here
    Kathy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting