Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Any deer res shrubs/plants to grow as fence

Posted by purplelotus Zone8 West WA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 1:54

hi
I am looking for any plant shrub/tree/anything I can put on the edge on the green belt, that is deer resistant and that would grow in not so good soil. I think it is clay where I am trying to grow them. I planted some Arborvitae that haven't grown much.
I am going to update my Have list in a day or two.
Vinita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Any deer res shrubs/plants to grow as fence

Plants I have are:

* Ajuga
*Sedums ( don't know their names, turns red in summer)
* Jacob's ladder
* creeping Jenny
* Dianthus red
* Lamb's ear
* Strawberry - very sweet and big

o

Plants I have are:

* Ajuga
*Sedums (reflexium, spurium)
* Jacob's ladder
* creeping Jenny
* Dianthus red
* Lamb's ear
* Strawberry - very sweet and big

o

• Posted by bejoy2 Z8, Seattle, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 0:50

May I have some lambs' ear?
Thanks,
Tammy

o

• Posted by bejoy2 Z8, Seattle, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 1:01

I have some Sitka spruce trees that are darn near deer-proof. Their needles are sharp and discourage browsing. They would make an almost impenetrable fence. I also have salal, a native ground cover that has leathery leaves that the deer find unpalatable. Salal grows tall in the sun but stays low in the shade. It can be pruned as a hedge.
-Tammy

o

Tammy
I will get some lamb's ears for you. I will welcome any seedlings/plants you can throw in a grocery bag, I will plant them right away. thanks
always found deers so cute till we got a house with yard :-)

o

You could also try hawthorne. They will nibble the young shoots, but eventually the older thorny wood will lose its charm and they can make a dreadfully good fence. Hemmed the allies in at Normandy beach during WW2 for a while.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here