Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelephant_gw

WANTED: Please bring winter-sowing supplies to Green Elephant

greenelephant
17 years ago

I am setting up a table for winter seed sowing. If we can pull this off, it will be like a Christmas cookie exchange, everyone will go home with a flat of 25 pots, labeled, of mixed sown seeds, ready for spring germination.

If you have never tried winter sowing, you will be very pleased with the results. Most seeds gathered in fall require a period of stratification in order to break dormancy and germinate. The frosts and rains of winter do the work for you, and come spring the seeds germinate well.

I have this 20-foot long potting bench.

I have about 25 flats each containing 25, 4-inch pots.

I will also provide the potting soil.

+ I'm looking for plant markers, which can be made from discarded miniblinds, simply cut into 6" sections. Or plant labels purchased.

+ I'm looking for an additional 20 flats with pots since 40+ people usually show up for the Green Elephant.

+ I'm looking for Seeds you have gathered or traded this fall. Please only bring fresh seeds from 2006. The greater the variety the better.

+ Any other things we might need?

Regards, Jim Eichner

Green Elephant Plant Swap

425-223-7249

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Green Elephant Plant Swap

Comments (12)

• jburesh1388
    17 years ago

Jim,

I'll bring all the seeds I have and a bunch of metal miniblind markers. I'd recommend some pencils to write on the markers. I have one or two to bring.

• threekittygarden
    17 years ago

Jim,
    This is my first time to attend a plant swap. I am excited to come. I will bring 10 trays with 25 4" pot in each. I will be looking at this post and if nobody brings the rest I might be able to find some more. By the way thanks for the Brugmansia you gave to my daughter Loida and me. They did great this summer. I will also bring seeds of Nigela for the winter sowing. Thank you for the invite. See you at the swap. Tita Hipol

• jburesh1388
    17 years ago

Tita,

I'd love some seeds or a division of your limerick ruby coreopsis. I'll be bringing lots of plants and seeds to the swap, you are welcome to your pick. Let me know if you are looking for something in particular.

• threekittygarden
    17 years ago

jburesh1388z8,
    I will save some limerock ruby coreopsis for you. I could use some seeds from your list. Maybe cosmos(purple) and dianthus. See you at the swap. I'm excited.
    Tita

• treepalm
    17 years ago

Jim,
    I'll bring a bunch of small pots. I've got a bunch.
    Teresa

• michelelee
    17 years ago

I have LOTS of seeds I can bring. See everyone there! Michele

• chrisrobt
    17 years ago

I have three pages with seed envelopes on them; if someone has a color copy machine, I'd be glad to donate them to anyone for the swap. They can be folded into seed envelopes for our seed exchange. Each page has three envelopes on it (actually one page has a single envelope(; they're rather pretty

• born2raisehellebores
    17 years ago

I can bring 4 flats and pots. I mostly have mundane seeds, though, primarily Sweet William and foxglove.

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

born2raisehellebores - welcome to the GW and the Green Elephant. Bring what you can, and meet some of the nicest people ever. You may even come home with a new hellebore as seedlings always seem to show up.

Regards, Jim

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

I will be bringing lots of seeds and I will try to scrounge together at least one flat with pots for myself and more if I have enough. Looking forward to it. Great idea Jim!

• drtdgr
    17 years ago

Oh, I have lots of seeds I forgot about! I have Territorial seeds for purple coneflower, Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset', Sunflowers 'Apricot Twist'and 'Jade'. I also havae borage, butterfly weed, ornamental millet, and nigella. Can you winter sow annuals? Anyway, I'll bring them all and try to bring some markers along also. Susan

• ruth1
    17 years ago

Tita,

I'm really interested in your coreopsis, especially limerock ruby. Check my trade list ot see if there is anything I can bring you.

Ruth