Yellow

Pink

Double White

For the Green elephant

Here is a link that might be useful: RSVP for the Green Elephant Plant Swap

Comments (6)

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    18 years ago

Could you mark me down for a pink Jim? I got one at the fall Green Elephant last year. Babied it during the winter and it was taking off nicely. Then it got its top knocked off by a water hose or some other hose, I can't remember. It took awhile for it to recover, so it didn't bloom this year. I will try to protect it over the winter, but I would like to try another as well. Thanks!

• gardengal98390
    18 years ago

I'd like the double white. I have a varigated leaf/cream trumpet if you'd like a start. My first try and produced a wonderful plant. Now to winter it over. I'm new with this plant but want to learn more. Mary Beth

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Gardengal,

I will bring some cuttings to the Green Elephant.

As for overwintering, they are easy. Cut back the top 1/3 of the plant. Just dig up the root ball. Don't worry about being rough with it. Shove the whole mess into a big pot. Put the whole thing in a cold dark storage place. An unheated garage is good, just so long as it doesn't freeze. Let the whole plant go dormant. If it gets very very dry you can give it a like a cup of water, but better to err on the dry side. In late Feb it will start to sprout and in early April you can bring it out for some fresh air and sunshine. By mid May you can plant it in the ground and fertilize it to get it going. The thick trunk has stored carbohydrates (it's related to the potato) and will push out robust new growth when it comes out of dormancy.

Jim

• michelelee
    18 years ago

Hi Jim, Since you are on the subject, a question... Do you take only woody cuttings or green or both. My flowers are coming out green now and I want to chop up the peach Brug. from you to share at the GE. Any helpful hints? Michele

• lotta_plants
    18 years ago

Jim, Could you set a side some for me? I haven't got my trade list yet but will soon.
    Allison

• greenelephant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As for cuttings, just about any part of a brugmansia stem will root. But I've read that the older stems make for better cuttings.

I'll have plenty of cuttings.

I think Patrick will come to the swap and bring some brugmansias too.

Jim