Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Mundane, boring stuff for Green Elephant

Posted by pianojuggler z8b WA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 17:07

This will be my first time bringing plants to the G.E.

I have a handful of pretty mundane, boring, but very healthy offerings:

* Euonymus Fortunei 'Kewensis' ("Kew Winter Creeper") - dormant, but healthy
* Thymus Pseudolanuginosus (Wooly Thyme) - great lawn alternative!
* Various sedums -- s Reflexum, s Spurium -- low-growing groundcover types. Mostly evergreen varieties. A few miniatures.
* Some other succulent I have not identified, but spreads densely.
* Rosemary "Tuscan blue".
* Anything else that finds its way into the car.

I could shake loose a few Pacific Yew rooted cuttings if someone asks.

I also have a bunch of Red Cedar volunteers in 4" pots if you want to start your own forest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Mundane, boring stuff for Green Elephant

Hello Piano juggler,
I'm interested in the Tuscan Blue Rosemary. What are you looking for?
Teresa

o

Hi Piano jugglar.

Those are nice offerings.

I would like to trade for your Wooly thyme. What are you interested in?

o

Hi Piano Jugglar -

I would like to trade for your s spurium sedum. See my post for my haves and my trades list. Let me know what you are interested in. Thanks! Kelly

o

• Posted by bejoy2 Z8, Seattle, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 1, 09 at 17:31

May I please have a Pacific yew? Check my previous posting to see if I have anything you would like.
Thanks,
Tammy

o

Whew! I thought I would end up bringing home pretty much everything I brought. Thanks for the interest!

I am looking for any good ground covers -- the lower-maintenance the better, drought-tolderant, and suitable for shade or part-sun. I need to cover a pretty steep bank with things that will help prevent erosion.

bejoy: If you are interested in large quantities of WT, let me know and I can toss some more in the car. I have a few different varieties.

kellyc: I will bring plenty of low-growing sedums. I have some that drop their leaves (like they are going dormant right now) and one that I think is evergreen. Since I have gotten most of mine from other people's cuttings, identification is a bit dicey (but that's the fun part, right?). I just got some really cute ones with coral pink leaves. I would like a couple of your lavender seedlings.

bejoy2: Please note that the Yew is rooted cuttings... They are still only about 4" tall in 4" pots, but I will see if I have a taller one that I can toss in a pot this week. I would like some of your arctostaph u-u, and any sedums. I'm getting addicted to sedums.

o

Hi pianojuggler..I would really like some of every variety of wooly thyme you have.

We have some sweet woodruff that likes shade for a ground cover..also ajuga works well..as does vinca minor which we have. I also have St.Johnswort which is good for erosion..but can be quite invasive.If you would like any of these..let me know and I will go digging.

Bejoy (Marie)

o

Hi, bejoy... I will bring a handful of varieties of WT. I have been scavenging cuttings for a couple of years. I am on a five-year mission to kill my lawn and I'm replacing large sections with WT. Some is woolier than others, some flower, some don't, and my faves have muted grey-green leaves.

I have been warned away from vinca due to its invasive nature (although someone else here (gardengal?) said it is easy to control -- much easier than ivy or blackberry which is what I'm trying eradicate). I have ajuga already taking over my lawn. I will try some of the woodruff, though.

Thanks,
pj

o

Pianojuggler..I will bring you some sweet woodruff. I know what you mean by trying to eradicate the blackberry vines. I haven't succeeded yet...still trying.

o

hi Piano Juggler,
I would like to get some wooly thyme and rosemary if you have. looks like from google search WT will grow on rocks? I have rock walls all around that I am trying to cover.
please take a look at page and let me know if anything that intersts you there. thanks

o

I'll take all the red cedars you can give me. I don't have my plants organized, but I'll bring a pickup full.

Jim

o

purpleotus, WT will slowly crawl over a rock wall, from above but will probably stop a foot or so from dirt. If these are retaining walls with soil on the other side, you may want to consider some sedums... there's a reason their other name is "stonecrop".

I will have a good quantity of small rosemary rooted cuttings. They will grow into 2- to 3-foot mini-shrubs in a couple years and are nicely low-maintenance. They are great for planting at the base of a wall to soften the visual appearance.

Jim, I will bring a bunch of this year's volunteers. Some may be out of pots, so if you have a shallow tub or something, that might help. I may also have some fir and spruce volunteers, if you're interested. (Oh, and thanks again for all of your hard work in organizing this!)

o

• Posted by bejoy2 Z8, Seattle, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 13:24

Pianojuggler, rooted cuttings of pacific yew are fine, I'll take all you are willing to part with. I will bring a selection of sedums for you to look at.
-Tammy

o

Thanks Pianojuggler, for the rosemary. I have several ground covers that you might be interested in.
Teresa

o

treepalm, you are welcome. I did score several GCs at the trade, so I have to see where I have areas that still need some. I'll be in touch, or we'll just swap some more at the spring GE.

Cheers,
pj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here